Arghhhh! I really worked it and only lost 1 pound

Options
Sorry,
I really need to vent so I don't eat over it.

This is my first week.

I have been under my calorie count everyday... and I even banked calories because of my workouts.

According to MFP I have banked 4400 calories (from working out) - which is over 1 pound
AND I was eating on plan with a goal of a 2 pound weight loss per week.

SO, I should have lose AT LEAST 3 pounds.

I lost one. ONE pound. :sad:

I FEEL like I am losing. I am burning more than I am taking in. I am drinking my water.

Don't wanna sound whiney...
but I put forth a lot of effort over the past 7 days and I am not sure that I can work that hard every week for 1 pound!

IF it really is just a matter of math and MFP says I am under - what is going on?

Replies

• FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Sorry,
    I really need to vent so I don't eat over it.

This is my first week.

I have been under my calorie count everyday... and I even banked calories because of my workouts.

According to MFP I have banked 4400 calories (from working out) - which is over 1 pound
    AND I was eating on plan with a goal of a 2 pound weight loss per week.

SO, I should have lose AT LEAST 3 pounds.

I lost one. ONE pound. :sad:

I FEEL like I am losing. I am burning more than I am taking in. I am drinking my water.

Don't wanna sound whiney...
    but I put forth a lot of effort over the past 7 days and I am not sure that I can work that hard every week for 1 pound!

IF it really is just a matter of math and MFP says I am under - what is going on?

Give your body a day or two to adjust and you will see the payoff! Good for you for the workout and for drinking lots of water! If you feel like you are losing, you are! Ignore Mr. Scale today; he has been known to be a liar! Why not join us tomorrow for the Skinny Sat. Challenge? Here is a link:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/87282-skinny-sat-challenge-5
  • JayAlexander
    JayAlexander Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    You body will catch up, don't get too discouraged! Sounds like you are doing everything right, and it will pay off! Did you measure yourself when you started? You could be losing inches and not so many pounds just yet. Keep up the good work!
  • ScarletTarah
    ScarletTarah Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    There is a great read somewhere on here that talks about this, and your extreme workout has probably loaded your muscles with water, you have burned an amazing amount of calories but like you said you don't know if you can do that for just a pound a week wieghtloss, you have got to pace yourself to make this a life long change not just a "until you get to your goal wieght" diet.
    It really works and it works fast some weeks are way better then others, it's commentment that will get you there.
  • erinlindsay
    Options
    as long as you keep it up, you will lose more!!

think of all the muscle youre gaining!!! you probably have abs forming and that is taking up those 2 other pounds haha.
  • Wannalose60
    Wannalose60 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    When I read the scale... I did just "let it go".

I have every intention of working just as diligently this next 7 days.

Thanks for the advice about waiting for my body to catch up, measuring, and muscles pumped with water.
    I believe that is ALL true... but I truly FEEL like I lost 7 pounds...

I am choosing to no longer rely on how I FEEL to determine my weight. Because for the most part, I feel fine.

BUT I am 80 pounds overweight...

So I want to rely on the math and the accountability. :huh:

Ughh...
  • Laurirev
    Laurirev Posts: 5
    Options
    Don't get discouraged! When you work out especially with weights your muscles will hold water. The scale doesn't always tell the whole story. Go by how your jeans fit. A word of advice, pick up a copy of Oxygen magazine, it is a training magazine with lots of great information, training advice and recipes. Good Luck! Laurie
  • epoeraven
    epoeraven Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back your exercise calories? If you are not you could have put your body into stravation mode.
  • michelleellis
    michelleellis Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. I have been following MFP consistently and working out hard and I only lost one pound.
  • prrizza425
    prrizza425 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    This is a copy of something I posted before and its meant for all those who are discouraged with their short-term weight loss:

"Yeah, keep it up. Weight loss is not linear. I was 212 lbs. 35 days ago but I lost the most weight in the first two weeks (12 lbs.). Then the next 3 weeks my scale stayed at 201! For THREE weeks of staying under my calories! This morning I weighed 197 for a total of 15 pounds in five weeks. But I DID NOT lose 3 pounds each week. It doesn't work that way, the weekly weight loss is an average over the course of staying on track with your calories.

So don't get discouraged! It will work. If you eat less calories than you burn you WILL lose weight. It's physics. "
  • Wannalose60
    Options
    Thanks laurirev :smile:

epoeraven:
    I am not eating back ALL my workout calories.

I set a side goal to burn an additional 3500 per week so that, with the help of MFP's tracking
    I would lose 3 pounds a week and not just MFP's 2.

Last week - including today - I burned an additional 4400 calories...
    1000 of those were today... so I shouldn't have included them, sorry...

So, before weigh in I had and extra 3400 calories burned. Which averages out to 485 calories banked per day.

In answer to your question - yes, I eat at least half of the workout calories per day - somedays all of them!.

Just want to burn and extra pound a week.

michellellis:
    I can see you can relate to where I am coming from... let us give it another week :tongue:
  • Wannalose60
    Options
    Copy that prrizza...

Gotta hate those damned expectations.... I was looking for a BIG loss week one...

Which is why I posted... didn't get my way.

Thank you for the inspiration!
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Hey Wannalose80! You're doing awesome! Keep it up! :happy: The thing is, I don't think it is "just a matter of math". Humans are more than just the calculation of calories and the amount of calories burned off. There are emotions and stress, and all sorts of things that affect us. Keep up that routine and I'm sure you'll achieve your goals! :flowerforyou:
  • Wannalose60
    Options
    Thanks, Steph! :flowerforyou:

I guess I was just hoping for a miracle... always nice to have a big loss the first week/month.

But my life just has never worked that way!

Just wanted to expose my feelings so I cant secretly sabotage myself :glasses:

You are doing awesome! That is the type of motivation I need to look for.
  • cindyrey
    cindyrey Posts: 53
    Options
    give your body some time. It took my body two weeks before I started to lose weight and I was working out an hour everynight. Then it just started falling off.
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    You must give your body time to adjust. You can work, work, work, and not see a darn thing on the scale. Throw the scale out the window and go by how your clothes fit. I, personally, have worked my *kitten* off "literally" at the gym in the pool with miles and miles of kicking drills over the past two weeks with not a single movement on the scale. In fact, after my chemo treatment yesterday, I have GAINED 4lbs!!! After all of the work over the past few weeks, I wanted to cry. BUT, the human body, as much as we know about it, IS still a mystery and will do things on it's own that we like and/or dislike. DON'T get discouraged and DON'T live by the scale. As long as YOU!!!! feel good, it will work out in the end.
  • Wannalose60
    Options
    Thanks cindyrey!
    I will keep on persevering... I know, I know, it is only week one...

Thank you too, FireRox!
    I realize that living by the scale is ridiculous.... and I have been living without being a slave to it for quite awhile now BUT I need to find some sort of discipline and accountability otherwise I will be 180 pounds over weight.

I will be gentler with myself, thank you.

And please, You take care too!

You seem to be really working it! (((hugs)))
  • Wannalose60
    Options
    I am back....
    11 weeks later to report that it is SLOW going...

But I have lost 14 pounds... so that is about 1.1 pound a week.

I think I am finding a groove now and the weight loss has accelerated a bit and has been consistent over the past month.

I HAVE stopped blasting the weights.

I know that muscle = more calorie burn and has a great many other benefits too...but since my body does tend to build I am focusing on walking and yoga.

It seems to be working.

I have turned a few people on the MFP and they are having results too.

I just have to let go and live one day at a time. Stop wishing for over night results. And eventually the weight will come off.

Awareness and Accountability!

Thanks!
  • theartsymom
    Options
    Your body will definitely catch up!! :) I've always heard muscle weighs more than fat. I used to have a trainer that told me whenever I got down about how much I was working out vs what I was eating: It's not the pounds lost that counts, it's how you look and feel. You can lose inches without losing pounds. :)
  • Wannalose60
    Options
    So True, theartsymom!

But I will embrace that muscle weight when I get down to goal #1
    just 39 pounds to go.

Psychologically I need to see a weight drop...

Thru pilates and hiking my body is very fit underneath all the extra fat. and that is what has kept me fat :cry:

I always felt pretty good and my muscular skeleton felt fit - so I never felt a dire need to shed the weight...

I know I can't pull this off for too much longer. I don't want to carry the excess in to old age!

So after goal #1 - I will go back into build mode...
    and constantly remind myself that any gain or lack of loss will be sweet muscle building!
  • scaredofcoasters
    scaredofcoasters Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Just think though, you didn't put on the weight overnight (though sometimes it feels as if we do :-P) , so you shouldn't expect it to be gone overnight as well. Try going on a calm plan at first to work your body into it, You'll be surprised at how quickly (figuratively) you lose weight, even though it's only about a pound a week.