An H20 Question.

Options
So I have two friends and they are more fit than I am but I am not sure who to believe when it comes to water.

Friend one says to not drink cold water -drink warm/room temperature- because it helps burn calories faster. If I drink cold water after a work out it just shocks your body and stops burning calories.

Friend two says to not drink warm water -drink warm cold water- because the heat of your body will want to make the water warm and it burns calories in doing that. If I drink warm water I am not working my body from the inside; I'm not burning calories.

Its kinda funny how I just want to drink water because in general its good for you, but I don't know what to think about this.

What do you all think?

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Drinking cold water does burn a teeny-tiny bit of calories but not enough to really affect anything. If you want to burn a few more calories do useful things like parking farther away from the store or taking the stairs instead of the elevator.

I have never heard friend #1's theory about cold water shocking the body so it slows down your metabolism...sounds like completely broscience to me.
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I've read there's not much of a difference. Cold water can help bring down your temperature and is usually tastier, though.
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I heard to drink cold water after a workout but on a daily comsumption to drink close to room temperature water. But truely, as long as you are drinking water the temperature isn't as big a factor.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I think the idea of drinking water is much more important than "how you drink it'. I think too many people over-think these things, and are trying to make money selling stories, studies, or articles. I think the extra caloric burn to warm the water is negligible, and the supposed bad effects of drinking cold water are also negligible. Sometimes studies can be manipulated to prove whatever the researcher wants to prove.

Drink it how you like it. I prefer mine cold.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I will give you 1 health and wellness tip: don't spend any energy worrying about irrelevant things. Temperature of your drinking water = irrelevant.
  • Its_Nat
    Its_Nat Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I remember one of my son's soccer coaches years back, telling me to NOT freeze his water bottle as ambient temperature water was far better for him. He did say why, but I can't remember. It never stopped me then, and doesn't stop me now. Living in a hot climate, cold water is necessary as far as I'm concerned lol, it heats up quick enough!