Fruit lovers dilemma...

Options
I've noticed that while I don't have (much) of a problem staying within my calorie count for the day, I cannot seem to stay within my daily goal of 25 grams of sugar. I eat a banana and have a glass of OJ and I'm already 14 grams over! I tend to eat a lot of fruit over the course of a day (it's one of my fave snack foods) so there's no way I can stay under the 25 grams listed in my daily goal. Should I be concerned or is it no big deal as long as I stay under my daily calorie limit?

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Unless you're diabetic (or similar), it's just a carb at the end of the day.
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    I love my fruit too, lol. For me, I don't stress if I'm over from fruit. I very rarely eat candy or sweets or use refined sugar, but I almost always eat at least 2 pieces of fruit a day. Eating fruit hasn't hindered my weight loss, so I don't worry about it. I do try to be mindful of fruits that have higher amounts of sugar and balance those with lower sugar fruits though.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Generally, while in a calorie deficit, you shouldn't worry about sugar intake unless you have a medical condition that prevents you from enjoying sugars.

Many people say to ignore sugars from fresh sources and just track sugars from processed foods. Biologically speaking, it doesn't really matter.

Excessive sugar intake combined with a large caloric surplus is when sugar intake should be monitored.
  • TetesLorraine
    TetesLorraine Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Unless you are diabetic, pre-diabetic or have blood sugar issues, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I was pre-diabetic and had to watch my fruit intake a bit. Even then, my nutrition coach said that even if I over do fruit sometimes, its not a big deal because its natural sugar that your body knows what to do with. Better fruit than refined sugar! :)
  • lm5641
    Options
    Ok thanks you all! I'm not diabetic (or pre-diabetic) so it doesn't sound like I need to be worried!