half-marathon training for beginners

Options
Anyone else out there training for a half-marathon?? This is my first time. I've never been an avid runner, so this is a whole new experience for me.

Would love to have some running buddies!!

Amy

Replies

• jparks341
    jparks341 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    You already have one running buddy, training along with you! :smile:
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    how far along are you in your training? I've done 6 half marathons and have a good schedule that I used for my first (and have since shared with 8 friends who used it for their firsts).

Feel free to add/message me!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Google Jeff Galloway he has several plans available.
  • minorgal
    minorgal Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I would love to see your training schedule!!
  • minorgal
    minorgal Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I know, and you have been a motivator all along!!
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    There are some great training plans on Jeff Galloway or Hal Higdon sites.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I just did my 3rd Half Marathon yesterday, feel free to add me... My next half is in April '13 and I'm going to start training for a full marathon in January which I plan on running in May '13.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    ran my 1st 2 half marathons this year (May and Sept). Just ran a 15k yesterday for fun. I used Hal Higdon Novice and then Intermediate training guides.

I LOVE the half marathon distance. Challenging without being the all out commitment of a full marathon. Hope you enjoy the ride! I've only been running for 17 months, but it's a passion of mine now!!

:-)
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Ohh, me! I'm running my first half in May :)
  • icandoanything2012
    Options
    I completed my first half in September and am comtemplating training for a half and a full next year. Feel free to add me. And I used to think runners were crazy....now I am one.....
  • cjspawn120
    Options
    Do you have a set date or schedule yet? My friend recently ran a half-marathon and has motivated me to start training. I leave for panama city florida in March so I started a 16 week schedule...I hope this is enough time!!! hahah hope your progress goes smoothly!
  • Pavington
    Options
    What a timely post. I've just agreed to run a 1/2 marathon in 13 weeks. Went out tonight and discovered I can't currently run a mile. So, I'm looking for some motivational tales and reassurance that it is within the realms of possibility!!

Is couch potato to 13 miles in 13 weeks possible?!
  • fionamac77
    fionamac77 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on running my first half marathon in march 2013, and all being well (injury wise and if I'm enjoying it) hope to run a marathon in the summer . I've dabbled in running before. Not very much though - 5k max! I have a training schedule and I went on my first short walk/run today. Only 2 miles and couldn't run continuously. I did it in 23mins. Taking it easy at first but going to try and follow my plan and keep on top of my nutrition and. According to my plan I should be running my first 5 mile run by christmas....

I've taken my schedule from a couch to marathon website, so if half marathon goes well I can continue training within the framework of the marathon training schedule.

I think I must be mad but been wanted to do this for a while and I'm really keen to get going now and not wait until new year for any resolutions.

Feel free to add me. I don't have many friends on here, but would love the motivation!

Fi
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I start next Monday training for my first half. I'm using the Hal Higdon program. Would love to have more running friends!!!
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I've followed the Hal Higdon method for my last two half marathons. Highly recommend it! Good luck!
  • k_pattie
    k_pattie Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 1/2 marathon this past April and followed Hal Higdon's beginner training plan - I really loved it! I'm planning on running another in April '13 and will start heavily training in January - would love to buddy up! Good luck :)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    What a timely post. I've just agreed to run a 1/2 marathon in 13 weeks. Went out tonight and discovered I can't currently run a mile. So, I'm looking for some motivational tales and reassurance that it is within the realms of possibility!!

Is couch potato to 13 miles in 13 weeks possible?!

Wow, ambitious would be one word. Injury prone could be another, so be careful.

Suggest 2 weeks before the race, so like same Sun am perhaps, you do a foot time run.
    Figure out how long you think it will take based on your 11 weeks training up to that point.
    Divide that time in to about 5 equal parts: walk warmup, jog at pace, walk, jog at pace, walk cooldown.
    There, you just spent the same amount of time on your feet. I'll bet you reach 10 miles easily, which means only a simple 5K after that on race day. Plus you confirm all your equipment works well for that much time.

3 weeks before the race, so like Sat and Sun combo day, do a distance run combo.
    Run 5 miles at pace Sat am, 5 at pace Sat pm, 5 at pace Sun am.
    There, just did 15 miles in 24 hrs running. So you know you can do the distance easily if needed.

Those 2 things inspires confidence in your ability. Of course give proper rest day or two after you do them.

Up to then, get your aerobic system in order since it sounds like you need it.
    3 runs a week, 2 day spin or elliptical, something to not pound the joints more.

The non-running days make intense. The running days make Aerobic HR zone only, easy and slow as it needs to be.

Starting out, all 3 running days the same distance. Run and walk up to 30 min until you can run entire time, no matter how slow.
    Once you reach 3 miles, leave one at that, increase the others. Do this one after intense non-running cardio.
    Once one reaches 6 miles, leave one at that, increase the other. do this one also after intense non-runnnig cardio.
    Get the other up to 9 miles, same slow pace. Follows a rest day, should have a rest day after it too.

Of course you don't have time to increase mileage by recommended 10% weekly to get there, so you'll have a fine line between doing it and injuring yourself probably.

But with 5 weeks training I went from a focus on a bike event to doing a marathon, so it can be done. Now, a month before the last big ride event, I did a 1/2 marathon at end of a 1/2 ironman, so I had a base, but focus had big change for that 5 weeks.
    No injuries.
  • Pavington
    Options
    Thanks!
    What you've said makes sense.... get out for 30mins 3 times a week until I can run that far - work hard on cardio so I have a chance of breathing and then push the distances up.

The clock is ticking...
  • mjwarford
    mjwarford Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am beginning training for my first half in May. I appreciate the training program recommendations. I am going to check out Hal Higdon.
    I have a solid 10K base but am nervous about working to become "a real runner." I want to complete my training without injury and complete my race solidly. How long are most of you giving yourself timewise to prepare? I feel like a bit of cushion in the training program would be a good idea. What cross training are any of you doing?