Healthy, cheap, low-calorie snacks/meals?

Options
I just updated my fitness profile and it says I'm allowed to eat 1390 a day if I want to lose a pound and a half each week, working out 20 minutes 4 times a week.
So, I need some healthy, low-calorie, cheap snacks and meals please.

Replies

• SarahSosi
    SarahSosi Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    i say popcorn! healthy and cheap and full of fiber! just without topings! and air popped
  • sovannac
    sovannac Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    fruit, hard boiled eggs, veggies!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    My go-tos:

veggies dipped in hummus (baby carrots, 1/2 green or red pepper cut into strips, broccoli)
    greek yogurt
    berries (can also put in the greek yogurt)
    an apple
    15 almonds unsalted (~100 cals)
    snack-size bag of Smart Pop (100 cals)
    Kashi trail mix bar (140 cals) buy on sale
    Luna bar if I'm really hungry (180-190 cals) and buy in bulk when they're on sale or you have coupons
    pretzels (1 serving = 110 cals) dipped in a wedge of laughing cow light (35 cals)
  • ddwin
    ddwin Posts: 78
    Options
    Roasted chick peas, kale chips, banana chips with almond butter.
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    For me- I keep fruit on hand at all times- apples travel well.

Heres a link to a great site- may give you some ideas

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2007/07/snacks.html
  • queezle_sister
    queezle_sister Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    celery sticks, my friend. Digesting them burns more calories than they contain (that is, unless you've put peanut butter or nutella on them!). Good luck.
  • keelz2010
    Options
    A bag of clementines is £1 in my supermarket and so is a bunch of bananas... cheap snack, easy to grab and go and stick in my handbag for when the munchies strike!
  • SaffSaad
    Options
    Kallo Rice Cakes or Ryvita Wholegrain Crackers with the Laughing Cow Light.
    Banana
    Fat Free yogurt with berries
    Protein Shake if i'm a little hungry.
    Boiled eggs
    Salad bowl
  • annasensei
    Options
    Look for things that are high in protein. It will keep you full longer.

I'll echo a couople that have already been mentioned:

Almonds
    Greek Yogurt

It can be tough, but try to simply eat the suggested serving size for some of your favoirte less healthy snacks. That way you can indulge a little and practice beefing up your willpower. ^_^
  • jenam22
    jenam22 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love veggies and hummus or an apple with chocolate pb2. Both are easy 100 cal snacks. With the weather getting cold I enjoy having a bowl of vegetable soup which obviously doesn't travel well but is great if you're at home.
  • Maybaby100
    Maybaby100 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Shrimp and tuna are higher in protein and lower calorie. I do a can of tuna with a tablespoon of light mayo, a squirt of mustard and dill relish for lunch. And shrimp with stir fry veggies and soy sauce for dinner sometimes.
  • limesublime
    limesublime Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites is a piece of toast - even dry it is satisfying because it is warm and filling, but add a little butter, jam, nut butter, or even fresh fruit/veggies and it is a warm mini-sandwich!
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Buy a 1.5lb thing of 99% lean ground turkey
    1 head of broccoli
    1 head cauliflower
    2 bags of birds eye brown rice, freezer aisle

Should cost you about $8-10 max

Cook the meat, add a small amount of water, NO OILS, NO PAM...nothing. Salt, pepper, garlic powder, italian seasoning....whatever you got that you like to season with.

Nuke the bags of rice as instructed on bag

Cut up veggies

Mix it all together and split it into 4 meals. ITS A REDONK AMOUNT for each serving. Like...it hurts to finish.

350 Calories and 40g protein for each meal....and you are stuffed.....$2-$3 a meal....can't get much better than that. And I am full for like 3 hours....(mind you I eat every 1-2 hours....so for you it might take longer to get hungry)
  • Ivy_leaves
    Ivy_leaves Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I love fat free cottage cheese. I love celery too, I put the laughing cow spreadable cheese on them. Almonds and popcorn are also delish. Also dieters delight bread is only 35 calories per slice. Raw cauliflower with veggie cream cheese is yum too!
  • prairiewalker
    prairiewalker Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    14 raw almonds, boiled egg whites, sliced radishes w/ salt and when the red bell peppers go on sale...OMG..I love raw red bell peppers!!!!!
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I'm in love with this particular fruit dip:

Buy a container (500g) of fat free vanilla greek yogurt.
    Add 4 tbsp of peanut butter and 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon.

I eat it with apples and have to refrain from eating it straight up with a spoon! That said, it's about 25 calories per tablespoon, so it's a pretty delicious low calorie treat!

Baby Carrots with some garlic hummus.

Or if I feel like I need a more "substantial" snack, I roast some zucchini with a little olive oil, salt, pepper and crushed garlic. If you have the calories, toss some parmesan on there. Any roasted veggie makes a great snack for me. I think sweet potatoes are my favourite (I buy a fire-roasted frozen, sliced kind that are fairly quick to roast with a bit of olive oil, salt, pepper and dried rosemary), and I eat them with a smidgen of ketchup.
  • Jamie_durham
    Options
    Sounds Delish!
  • Jamie_durham
    Options
    I am going to try this for my prepared lunches next week.... I need something to call it though :)