Guilt! :(

Options
I'm usually under my calorie goals.. But guess it's just been a very loaded week for me.. a few highlights - sisters wedding coming up end of December so busy with preps, birth of a nephew, relatives and guests coming over to stay .. ate out almost every day (back of my head i was trying to eat smart, but that just doesnt happen when u have so much going on around you) .. and turned out to be approximately 550 calories over my weekly goal this week ..

Oh and i walk for fifteen to twenty minutes everyday (that's the only form of exercise i've been allowed to do post spine surgery) .. n i haven't walked in a week either! The guilt is now demotivating me!!!! =(

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    550 calories is nothing, don't sweat it
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    550 over your weekly goal is NOTHING.
  • flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Assuming you are on a modest deficit, you likely won't even be able to see a change in your weight loss trend. You'll probably only see a change due to all the sodium that eating out normally brings.

By the way, why are you always under your goal? It's a goal for a reason, you should be trying to reach it.
  • Trollivier
    Trollivier Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Yeah keep it up, it's no big deal. Sometimes I go out with friends and the calories intake is so horrible I don't even dare enter them in MFP. But I make sure I do one or two extra sport sessions to compensate.

Would be boring to go out with friends without eating the same big *kitten* pizza than them :D
  • jhunny31
    Options
    Put it this way, it takes literally 3 months of inactivity for the body to show that clearly you aren't working out. So dust yourself off, and try again when you're ready.
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    How do you have MFP set up? To lose 1 pound a week? .5? 2?

Let's assume you have it set to 1 pound a week. Here's the thing - if you MEET your calorie goal, then you're set to lose (roughly) that pound per week. So, two things: being UNDER your goal means you're trying to lose more weight than that pound/week, which can lead to an unhealthy rate of weight loss or your body not losing weight at all because too few calories has your metabolism freaking out. And two, a pound is 3500 calories. If you're over MFP by 550, and you're set to be under 3500 per week, you're still 2950 under. That's still you losing weight, just slightly less. Adjust numbers as appropriate for how you have MFP set up :)

I think there's this misconception that you have to be under your calorie goal, when really you should just be aiming to be as close to it as possible
  • Beethoven1827
    Beethoven1827 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'm having a bad week for one reason and another. I think I'm probably about 550 calories over for just today! Don't stress about it. Pick yourself up and try again tomorrow.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    If you're only 550 calories over during a particularly stressful week, then I say nice job! Now just go back and give yourself a great calories under week and don't sweat it.
  • Muriumj
    Muriumj Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!! U're AWESOME!!! I feel better already..

i only realized i'm usually under my goals when i started logging my food.. i started to eat as much as i could to reach my goals.. but then i prefer eating simpler foods.. (i used to eat unhealthy, but i avoid it now) .. i don't eat any form of meat (chicken is an exception only sometimes).. i dont take much salt (just not too fond of it) .. i've been a vegetarian since childhood and can have boiled veggies & fruits like apples at any given point.. I don't eat out more than 5 times in a month.. How did i put on weight? honestly, i have no idea.. maybe cos everyone on my Dad's side is a little on the chubbier side and i've been that way since forever too.. i lost a lot of weight between 2009-10 .. but i was on bed rest for almost a year due to a spine injury .. and everyone who got me get well soon gifts brought me chocolates too.. that's all i can think of .. :)

my goal per week was 1.5 .. i lost 10 pound in 2 months and then it automatically reset my goals to 1.2/week .. N yes i agree.. the weight loss is not constant.. it's more like in spurts.. i lost 6 pounds in the first two weeks, and it stayed there for a couple of weeks before going down another 3 pounds.. maybe i should go for 1 pound per week to see how that works out..

N i repeat! U all are AWESOME!

THANKS!!!
    :heart:
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    That's like an average of 78-79 cals over a day...that's chump change! No biggie. You're still all good!
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I've known healthy vegetarians, but I've also know VERY unhealthy ones. I once shared a dorm room with a "vegan" who basically ate nothing but chickpeas and pasta, haha. It's completely possible to gain weight as a vegetarian if you're not hitting all the nutrients you need

Getting enough healthy fat and protein will help you get to your calorie goals without much trouble at all. Know that your weight loss will slow as you near your goal, but that's a good thing! Crazy quick weight loss usually gets gained back, from what I've seen around here. Good luck!