Increasing to my Maintaining Weight Calories...

Options
Hi everyone,

I need help...

I have been on myfitnesspal since the beginning of June and have stuck at my daily calories of 1200 fairly religiously since then, managing to losy just over 2 stone which I am really happy about, but now I am struggling with how to maintain this.

Myfitnesspal says that my maintainence calories are 1600 per day, but I am unsure of whether to do this all in one jump (from 1200-1600 per day) or bit by bit? I really don't want to gain any weigth again and would appreciate help with how to do this...

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Do 1400 for a week then 1600.

You might gain a pound of weight back. This will be pretty much only water.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    i am in the same boat, have been increasing my calories for the past couple of weeks.. i do it by 50 calories at a time (might be a little slower than necessary but i dont want to make an extreme jump) and i havent gained any temporary weight
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    If you're worried aboutit the njust do a little at a time and do it slowly so you know when to stop. maybe go to 1300 for a couple weeks then up to 1400 for a couple you may still lose but at a much slower rate and when you get close to your 1600 you should level off but remember those are just estimates your real maintenance could be higher or lower so just do what works for you.
  • lucinda3489
    Options
    Thank you! It's just so hard to know what to do... I think it's almost harder than losing the weight in the 1st place! I'm going to try going to 1400 calories a day and see how that goes for a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the advice! xx
  • readthat
    readthat Posts: 136
    Options
    I am always wondering..if you increase slowly, how long do you wait before the next increase? How long before you can say, ok no real weight gain at this amount, then increase?
  • stines72
    Options
    I am always wondering..if you increase slowly, how long do you wait before the next increase? How long before you can say, ok no real weight gain at this amount, then increase?
    i stay for about 5 days to a week :)
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    don't be surprised if you continue to lose weight. I had to increase mine 3 times before I got it right
  • lucinda3489
    Options
    Thanks, I'm just so worried about gaining weight! I've just eaten up to my 1400 calories today and I feel like I've eaten loads!! I'm 5ft 5in and weigh 115lbs at the moment so I don't think it is possible to gain on 1400 calories a day is it?!
  • stines72
    Options
    Thanks, I'm just so worried about gaining weight! I've just eaten up to my 1400 calories today and I feel like I've eaten loads!! I'm 5ft 5in and weigh 115lbs at the moment so I don't think it is possible to gain on 1400 calories a day is it?!
    i am 5'3 and after eating 1000 - 1200 calories a day for 4 months increased to 1400-1500 and im still losing weight consistently so i guess it depends on your activity level and all but im shorter than you and not gaining
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options

Probably not. These are all just estimates But for you, your BMR is 1278 and at sedentary (x1.2 activity level) that would be 1533 for maintenance. I'm guessing you really are more than just sedentary so you'll be fine at 1400 and 1500 even. Try adding calorie dense foods so you're not eating more in volume realy but getting some more good calories.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

No it's not!

I am 5ft5 and I maintain on net 1900 cals!
  • lucinda3489
    Options
    Ok thats good, it's made me feel a bit better! I'll see how this goes...

Thanks for your help everyone :)
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    5'6" 135 lbs 2600 calories+!!! U will be fine!
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options

Hi...I am doing this at the moment. I upped my calories weekly by 100 cals (per day not for the week) and I am currently on 1430 and still losing. Next week I will up to 1500 and start upping by 50 cals per week (eg the following week I will be at 1550 per day, week after 1600 etc) until I reach a maintenance level that works for me.

I have now switched out some diet-y type foods for regular to eat more calorie dense than just eat more food because I initially felt like I had lettuce coming out of my ears by night time. For example, I have changed my yogurt, added in some yummy cheeses etc.
    Good luck.
  • PrincessNikkiBoo
    PrincessNikkiBoo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to maintain as well. Though I'm going from 1200 to 1400 (I'm 5'1'' with a fairly sedentary lifestyle. so sue me). I've upped it to 1300 about 2 weeks ago and weirdly enough it was a struggle at first to eat more. Though now I'm noticing I'm craving more than the limited 1300 so I'm trying to balance myself out before I move on. I definitely don't want to land in the same eating pattern I had before I joined MFP...