Busy Mom needs help with how to make it all happen

Options
I'm struggling with how to make this work for me. For budget reasons, we cancelled our gym membership a few months ago. Now that it gets dark so early, there's not time to get outside during the week. I have a young daughter and it's hard to see how I have time to exercise, and some days even cook between work and picking her up from daycare and getting shopping/cleaning done. I have a supportive husband who needs to lose weight too, but we usually don't have time to even sit down until after 8 pm each night.
We need to find good work outs that can be done at home, inside for the winter... any ideas? How do you all make it work?

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I just do it.

Sometimes, I get up at 4:30-5am to get a workout or a run in (and I run in the dark, if needed). Sometimes, I hire a babysitter to watch my daughter so I can take a class. Sometimes my parents help out and keep her after work so I can run. My husband watches her when he's off work, and he gets his workouts in at 5-6am or in the middle of the night on his days off (he works midnights). You just make it work. Do your workout at 8pm if that's when you have time. Buy some dvds - there are lots of good ones out there (and none of them are "magic" - so just about anything you do will be fine).

As far as food goes, learn to love the crockpot. And do your prep on Saturday or Sunday afternoon. Make a bunch of freezer meals or individually wrapped breakfast burritos to grab and go. Prep diced fruit and veggies in baggies for individual servings. Portion out yogurt into single serve containers. If you have it all prepared ahead of time, it makes it very easy. It just requires some organization.
  • Mommagoose4
    Mommagoose4 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have 4 kids - no gym membership.
    I have lost 65 lbs in 8 months.
    How? Eat properly. And exercise at home. I walk with my kids - spent all summer pushing a double stroller or having my youngest in a back pack on my back walking the neighbouring streets. I am sure many ppl thought I was crazy. I have a wii -- I do EA Games Sports - Just Dance - Wii Fit - there are a ton of games to get you moving. Best thing is my kids LOVE to do it with me. So get her moving too. My youngest 19 months old he boogies with the best of us.
    You can do it.
    You need to be creative. Do stairs - lift containers of water if you don't have weights - there are tons of workout videos on you tube too if money is tight.
    Hang in there.
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    As far as food goes, learn to love the crockpot. And do your prep on Saturday or Sunday afternoon. Make a bunch of freezer meals or individually wrapped breakfast burritos to grab and go. Prep diced fruit and veggies in baggies for individual servings. Portion out yogurt into single serve containers. If you have it all prepared ahead of time, it makes it very easy. It just requires some organization.

This is what I do on Sundays and it helps save time tremendously - and then that opens up time for you to exercise -
    and I agree there are a ton of exercise videos you can do or if you have cable an on demand exercise channel sometimes has 10-15 minute workouts even -- its hard sometimes, but if you carve out that time to help you feel better you will have more energy for your daughter!
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options

This! If you can make use of a crockpot you can exercise as soon as you get home from work instead of cooking. Or do a DVD like 30 day shred and have your daughter playing in the room. Even if you make a ton of things on a day off during the week you can freeze those and than get your exercise done when you get home and than pop something in the microave or oven that you have already cooked.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    As the other posters said, #1 is diet. If you can find the time to cook, you can cook something healthy. Count your calories and track everything.

Even if u can find 30 minutes 4-5x a week to do a work out video, you're accomplishing more then most. Get your diet in check first and foremost and you'll be on your way.
  • perfect10isha
    perfect10isha Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I have a gym membership now, but before I worked out at home. I have a few Jillian Michaels DVDs and the Insanity DVDs. I'm not a morning person so I'd workout after both my kids went to bed (by 8pm). As soon as I got home after work with the kids I would put on my workout clothes so typically I could have hubby put our oldest to bed (3 years) and I could sometimes start before 8pm. My baby (10 months) goes down by 7pm. Usually I'd put the baby to bed then workout from 7-7:45 and give my daughter a bath. While she's playing in the tub I'd take my shower. Then get us both dressed and get her to bed. I spent the time when I got home to cook and play with the kids so that after I worked out I'd eat dinner with hubby usually. I would do that Monday, Wednesday, Friday. Now that I have a gym membership I workout right after work on the same days. Just get some kind of routine down. JM's DVDs are like 20-30 minutes so you could knock that would with a shower in under an hour in the morning or evening. You just have to make a committment. It is harder with kids, and a job and a hubby and 1000 things to do but its definately possible. I made an effort to cook on non workout days so we could just eat leftovers on my workout days. So lots of planning and taking advantage of every minute of the day. The dishes can wait until tomorrow, they are not going anywhere, so get in your workout today!!

edit- ditto to getting your diet right. While it does take extra effort to do meal planning it saves so much time and effort during the week if you already know what you're cooking and when. I plan out my dinners for the week and pack a lunch the night before for work everyday. Meal planning (and sticking to it) will assist you in eating right throughout the week when things get hectic or your tired or time is short.
  • lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I too JUST DO IT! I work full time, have two young kids, and a husband who is out of town from time to time or working late. I work out before work or during lunch breaks. I do find it hard to motivate myself to work out at home though, so I think it is KEY to have your husband's support and agreement to workout together. The biggest time saver for me is meal planning and food prep. I like to cook ahead in large batches and freeze. I portion out my food each week so that I can quickly pack healthy foods for the work day. If you have to schedule your workouts a week ahead, do it! I'm not sure how old your daughter is, but if she's old enough, let her do things with you. My kids love to stretch with me. I also have a pullup bar at home and the kids love hanging on it in between my sets. Pushups, body weight squats, medicine ball crunches, ets, are all good things that you can do together as a family.

Good luck! It's very hard to balance it all, but give it some time and you'll fall into a routine!
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    My husband and I both approach the exercise thing differently. I would rather go to a gym, he would rather do something he can do at home. He's in his second round of P90X, and did a round of Insanity in between. I'd rather stop by the gym on the way home and do the machines.

If I've learned anything from my husband, it's all about what you're willing to do to fit it in. He might get up at 5:00 a.m. and workout, or he'll do it when he gets home before picking up the girls, or might even wait until after the girls go to bed. But he's done it every day since last Christmas. He knows there will come a time when he won't be able to fit it in, but for right now, the plan is to do it everyday, and he's succeeded.

Now, I've lost 106.5 pounds without really doing anything for exercise, but fear that that's going to have to come into play here very soon. It's all about making time to do it. I plan on going by the gym this afternoon...just need to make myself do it.

As far as food: Crock pots are good. Chicken tenders are good. If you can order your groceries from an online place like Peapod, then do it - maybe even Schwan's. Also, Walgreens now does "web-pickup" where you can place an order online and when you go pick it up, park in the designated space, call them and they'll bring it out to your car. Sam's club does this too - their service is called "click & pull" but you actually have to go inside to the customer service counter and pay for it, but they will help you bring it out to your car.

When you do cook - cook in big batches so you can freeze leftovers. We're pretty much at the point of having to do that with Chili and Spaghetti.

There's an online site called Flylady.net that helps with cleaning/cooking and organizing the household. It's designed more for stay at home moms, but I've found a lot of stuff I can put to use working full-time.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    embrace the nerdfitness home workouts, even doing them with your daughter- she would probably get a HUGE kick out of it and giggle at mommy and daddy.

I didnt have a gym for several short periods over the last year and this site helped me keep it fun, keep my consistency - and even better- gave me more results than I was getting at the gym that week.

Its totally made for those of us born between 1975 and 1988 I think LOL - seriously - I beg you to believe me on this one. Being so busy, consistency is going to be the biggest hurdle to overcome first - before you decide on what plan/class/routine you are going to do - prove you can make the time.

And start here - Please actually read it - I waste my time telling people this all the time - they read the title and really dont care and keep complaining until someone tells them they dont have to do anything. I hope youre one of the ones that read this:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/08/13/productivity/

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    Single mom, 2 kids. I work 40 hours a week and take care of everything at home on top of their "social" schedules. My time to sit down comes between 8 & 10pm depending on what is going on that day.

You've just got to find a way to make it work. I do belong to a gym, but sometimes the hours don't mesh well with my schedule. If I can't make it to the gym (or am injured, as I am right now), I walk at least a mile a day. I've found creative ways to sneak in push ups, crunches and curls.....Waiting for the water to boil on the stove? Knock out 10 pushups and 25 crunches. I've started doing this and felt ridiculous at first. But, I'm getting my exercise in. The added benefit is that my kids see me getting active. My 5 yr old gets on the floor with me now. I also have 2 of the big applesauce jars with the "grips" on them at the house. Use those for curls if you don't have weights. After the kids go to bed, I do reps of: 15 pushups, 50 crunches, 20 curls, 20 flutter kicks, 20 bicycles.... I usually do it at least 4 times. A lot of times I try to knock out 8 reps, but it depends on the day. If you have stairs, you can walk (or run) up and down them for some added cardio. Get creative.

It's just a matter of maximizing your time and changing your mindset.
  • fp64
    fp64 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    if you can find a nearby Planet Fitness, it's only $10 per month. Or sometimes the YMCA will bill on a sliding scale/financial aid
  • jayhawkfan51
    jayhawkfan51 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Single mom of 2 and I work 2 jobs. You just have to make it work. Is it possible to buy a used treadmill, elliptical or other exercise machine. I love to run and would prefer outdoors but like you its hard to make it outside. So I get up at 5 to hit the treadmill. Other ideas would be workout videos. Insanity, P90x etc. Set down with your hubby and make a schedule. Block off 20-30 minutes of time just for you to exercise. Make use of time in the car, waiting in line at grocery store etc. Who cares what everyone else around you thinks. You are getting healthy!
  • slimmermomma
    slimmermomma Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I hear you - I struggle to fit everything in too - I have found that I have to be willing to adapt myself since it doesn't always work out for me to workout at the same time everyday. I have found that at home dvds are good - I have used the 30 Day Shred and have just started the Ripped in 30. I also invested in a treadmill and stationary bike (both from kijiji and I didn't spend much 125 and 50 respectively). I try to rotate what I do and make it fit when I can. Some mornings I will get up at 5 to get my workout in but most nights I do it after I put my son to bed, between 745-8. It can be frustrating but it is just learning what works for you, I had to adjust alot of things, I work full time and have a commute of 45 minutes each day one way and a husband who works most nights - I have been doing this for a few months now and I am settling into an 'all over the place routine" lol -

Dont give up and just take the time to find what works for you -
  • brebe86
    brebe86 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I know I just have to make it happen. Some days, I wish I had a few extra hours! I'm going to look into some DVD's and try to find a routine.
  • tooliebell
    tooliebell Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    It's hard, I know. I work full time, have 3 kids (11, 9, 4), and have a household to take care of. My husband has been instrumental in me getting to where I am today. I tell my kids that I am going to exercise and they need to find something productive to do if they don't want to exercise with me. I have several videos, 30 day Shred, BL Weightloss Yoga, Walk away the pounds, tae bo, and an elliptical. My summer exercise was walking/running but now that it gets dark so fast, I do everything at home. When I get home, I make it a point to start my exercise routine right away. Kids are usually doing homework and I can put off dinner for an hour. I head to the basement and do something for at least 30 minutes. Then if I feel like I need to , I do another 30 minutes after they have gone to bed. I walk on my lunch for 30 minutes as well. Sometimes, I get up early exercise.

The best thing for you to know is that you CAN DO IT! It really does get easier and about 6 weeks to 2 months into a routine like that, it becomes just that routine and you know you have to do it. Good luck and don't give up!
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    My two cents -- there are a huge variety of workout videos on Youtube. If budget is a concern, you could always try some stuff out this way. If anything, it could help figure out what you enjoy and assist you in making better dvd purchases (or it might be enough without you having to spend anything). Many of the intense interval-type workouts are half an hour or less, too, which will help fit it into your day. I've seen some Jillian Michaels worksouts on youtube, for example.

Of course, the best answer is running around with your kids. Fun and healthy for everyone :) Depending on their ages, you could find some indoor stuff for the winter, like bowling, roller skating, maybe an ice skating rink? Obviously any activity where you're up and moving, rather than sitting, is going to be great for everyone involved, even if it's not a crazy workout. Good luck!
  • entwife
    entwife Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Some great tips here, I'm another mum who struggles to fit in exercise. I've been getting up at 6am to get a walk in before hubby goes to work. Its better than nothing but I need to do more. Thanks for all the links to free workouts and DVDs etc :)
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    You're never going to "have" time. You just make it. You can get a very effective workout in just 30 minutes a day with any one of the DVDs/YouTube videos mentioned, but only if you decide that your fitness is worth making room in your schedule for. If you make physical fitness a priority, the worst that could happen is that your kids might grow up thinking it's important.
  • runningartist
    runningartist Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi -

I'd be willing to help you find some ways around your concerns.

I don't have a gym membership anymore, and am so motivated to workout to TurboFire, I actually wake up willingly at 5:30-6am every morning. The house is quiet and it's MY time.

Your goals are possible with the right help and motivation.

Ann Marie
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    C25k on alternative nights with your hubby and when summer comes do with your hubby and the kids in prams/on bikes etc.