Diet Coke

Options

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I too am sorry to hear about your husband's condition.

I did read the article - which is on a rather biased site.
    If we look at their sources for information listed, the one that is based on humans says:
    CONCLUSION:

Although our findings preserve the possibility of a detrimental effect of a constituent of diet soda, such as aspartame, on select cancers, the inconsistent sex effects and occurrence of an apparent cancer risk in individuals who consume regular soda do not permit the ruling out of chance as an explanation.

More-ever, there is no comment on correlation vs causation in the bits that I saw.
    For instance, is your typical diet soda drinker actually likely to have other health issues in the first place?

Also, this abstract (chosen carefully by me, easy to do that ;))
    We also observed an unexpected elevated risk of NHL (RR: 1.66; 95% CI: 1.10, 2.51) with a higher consumption of regular, sugar-sweetened soda in men but not in women. In contrast, when sexes were analyzed separately with limited power, neither regular nor diet soda increased risk of leukemia

Dr. Mercola (I know a lot of people don't agree with him on some issues) explains the difference the study found between men and women as well as his response to the study:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/11/07/aspartame-causes-blood-cancer.aspx

Read the original article it does not say that aspartame is the cause, the conclusion is weak as quoted above and the related risk being evaluated remain very low.
    In that study the risk was actually HIGHER with regular, no diet soda. 1.66 vs 1.33.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/2012/10/23/ajcn.111.030833.abstract
  • justking
    justking Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think what is more of an issue is soda weakens the enamel on your teeth. If you can, limit your intake to a can of coke a day. I invested in a huge water bottle and having water by your side all the time helps you from feeling hungry.
  • czapp1
    czapp1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    theres no sodium in diet coke. yeah its terrible for you. but i say drink up!
  • cwoodruff24
    Options
    I've lost forty pounds in five months and I live on Dr Pepper 10. It's 10 calories a can, but I prefer it over diet. I have to have caffeine being a busy mother of 3 young children! It definitely doesn't hinder weight loss as long as you make sure to also consume your recommended water intake! As far as Coke, I think Coke Zero tastes way better than Diet Coke! I know Soda is terrible for you, but I say drink up!
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options

have you ever read a label on a bottle? there are 30mg of sodium per 8 oz of diet coke
    http://productnutrition.thecoca-colacompany.com/products/diet-coke
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i like the zevia sodas, a little pricey but they are all natural and no calories

^^ This. I like them too. I also like some seltzer waters, but honestly, I find some of them seem a little aggressively carbonated (I'm not sure why it seems different - maybe just because I'm used to being able to drink water quickly). They do have interesting flavors of seltzer these days.

ooh yeah flavored seltzer water is awesome. yes, the carbonation in the seltzer water can be too spicy (i used to call the carbonation bubbles spicy when i was a kid lol, they are!)
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    The nutritionists usually refer to "full leaded/sugar" soda's, alcohol, and/or juice drinks as "liquid calories with no nutritional advantage whatsoever".

Ultimately, water is best. If you're hooked on soda's now, you can try to go to diet soda's in the interim while weaning off of them. I've heard the sweeteners used in diet soda's are typically not conducive to weight loss efforts. But don't know if there's any truth to it or not.

I usually try to limit my soda intake to one a day at lunch, and it's a diet coke 98% of the time. There are no calories, but there is sodium in it.
  • newmanmb463
    newmanmb463 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    That's not 0 sodium, but it's a pretty small amount... Heck, the cup of skim milk that I use in my cereal every morning has 120 mg of sodium.

have you ever read a label on a bottle? there are 30mg of sodium per 8 oz of diet coke
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    That's not 0 sodium, but it's a pretty small amount... Heck, the cup of skim milk that I use in my cereal every morning has 120 mg of sodium.

That skim milk also has protein, potassium, vitamins, and calcium. It is much better nutritionally than Diet soda.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    DIET COKE IS THE DEVIL - my momma sayz
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    It didn't hinder the process for me. I like Coke Zero better than Diet Coke, though. :)
    ^^^^^^^ also
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    regular pop is all carbohydrates so go for diet because it has no calories, carbs or anything that adds extra bread (carbs)

So soft drink is full of bread? Lollies and sweets are full of bread. Whoops. My bad.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    It's bad - not good.

I have the coke zero about once maybe twice a week when I'm PMS'ing (TMI - I know) because it is sweet, otherwise I don't touch it.

Either way, they both use 'sweetners' which are horrible and make you crave actual sugar even more.

Try having Perrier for the carbonation.
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    It is bad for you. But that doesnt stop me from drinking it
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I like diet Dr. Pepper. But i stopped drinking it. I think I'm having physical reactions to the aspartame.
  • tubaman58
    Options
    I don't care if its terrible for me and gonna give me cancer one day. I'm a self admitted addict!!!! Can't live without my Diet Coke!

Me too....
    ignore the food Nazis......

The supposed diuretics effects are greatly exaggerated

Be careful of cravings, the sweeteners can be triggers for food cravings the same way sugar can in some of it's incarnations

drink it in moderation....

and enjoy
    :)
  • Aello11
    Aello11 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I have my one Coke Zero everyday (unless drinking and then it is multiple Crown and Zero)
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I never understood the obsession with Coke/Diet or Pepsi/Max or Mountain Dew or any other rubbish. They all taste disgusting to me and quite frankly the amount of artificial sweetener they use I'm guessing is enough to make piss taste like a hot chocolate.
  • JoeSzup
    JoeSzup Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I recently gave up my life long obsession (35+ years) of Diet Pepsi. Actually to be more accurate, I've given up anything with nutrasweet. 26 days with no nutrasweet. The first 14 days were the hardest. Cravings like you wouldn't believe. Today, I still crave it, but not as much as I used to. Some of the studies I've read state that it can take up to 90 days for nutrasweet to clear your system.

I've also stopped drinking energy drinks of any sort and have only had one monster nitrous in 7 days.
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke addict here