Diet Coke

Options

Replies

• Faithhopenlove
    Faithhopenlove Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hello my name is Tamara....and Im a coke zero/diet coke addict :ohwell: reading the previous post I realized there is nothing nutritionally sound about it, but it taste so Good to have 0 calories, but I will make an attempt to cut back:sad:
  • starjumper12
    Options
    I don't care if its terrible for me and gonna give me cancer one day. I'm a self admitted addict!!!! Can't live without my Diet Coke!
    That was hubby's attitude too no matter how many articles I showed him. He's paying the price now. It's no fun living with oxygen, having chemo two days a month, having trouble eating and going to numerous doc appointments.

My dad had non-hodgkins lymphoma and I've never seen him drink a diet soda in my entire life. I say "had" because he's been in full remission since they removed his spleen and they don't expect him to come out of remission now.

Completely aside from the aspertame debate, I really hope you don't tell him these things to his face. That is the very last thing a person with a serious illness needs is to be blamed for it while they're trying to recover and go through horribly taxing treatments. My mom did that to my dad when he was sick, told him that he brought it on himself spiritually because he's so angry... he's never forgiven her for it.
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I'm sick of people saying it will give you cancer....
    IT'S BEEN CONFIRMED...NOT TRUE!!!!!

It's like anything else...Yes if you drink only that,12 times a day...Yea, it will probably make you sick for some other reason.
    Too much is never good anyway....But they were saying that eating also too much Broccoli will give you too much iron etc...
    This goes on and on and on....

Is water better...Damn right but will it make you sick or not lose weight since it's diet...Naaaaaaaaah!

Anyway it's my opinion....
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Athletes don't drink them (even when they are sponsored by them), personal trainers don't recommend them, etc etc etc. Only people who like the taste of them drink them.

If that isn't enough:

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/5200/title/Caloric_threats_from_sugarfree_drinks?
    http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/341424/title/Diet_sodas__may_confuse_brains_calorie_counter
    http://www.sciencenews.org/view/feature/id/57132/title/Stomach’s_Sweet_Tooth

That's good enough for me to avoid them.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I've lost 27lbs drinking it at least once a day. sooo......
  • MeltingCandlewax
    MeltingCandlewax Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have heard mixed reviews. I really don't like it.. but need the caffeine and like the carbonation! I am a Coca-Cola girl.

BUT what I am asking is... Does it hinder the weight loss? Do I need to drink 3489483 gallons of water after drinking one so I can knock out that possible water gain from all the sodium? OR is it wonderful and counts as drinking AIR?

Does this make any sense? I hope so! :wink:

I drink Diet coke and Diet Dr. Pepper. It is not good for kidneys because of the carbonation and the phosphurus added to it. However I drink it alot and all the time for years and years. I don't have a sodium problem, however if you have a sodium problem, may not be a good idea. Check with a dr. But I love the stuff. I don't plan on giving it up anytime soon, cause for caffine i hate the smell of coffee. But I don't gain weight with it, but sodium can cause water retention. just thougght I would share.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    It won't hinder weight loss, although some claim that diet causes cravings.
    That aside, it is far unhealthier than regular coke. If that's a non-issue for you, then drink up.
  • EpitomeOfSxy
    EpitomeOfSxy Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I can't do aspartame for some reason I get headaches so I rarely drink a diet soda, however, I have learned to LOVE Mio in my water. To satisfy my soda craving I combine Mio and Club Soda. It's awesome.
  • baileymollyfrankriley
    Options
    I'm not scientist or nutrition expert but i've heard and believe (and am sadly drinking one right now) that carbonation will increase hunger, artificial sweeteners increase appetite. If you can control yourself.... go for it but still drink plenty of water. I have experimented being on and off of them and know that #1. they give me headaches(pretty sure it's the sweeteners) and #2 i have a much harder time controlling what I eat when i'm drinking them.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I can't do aspartame for some reason I get headaches so I rarely drink a diet soda, however, I have learned to LOVE Mio in my water. To satisfy my soda craving I combine Mio and Club Soda. It's awesome.
    Yep, no aspartame in Mio - but I hope you don't think you're avoiding artificial sweeteners by drinking it. From their FAQ page at http://www.kraftbrands.com/mio/pages/faq.html:
    MiO is sweetened with acesulfame potassium and sucralose, a calorie-free, artificial sweetener that is 600 times sweeter than sugar.
  • runningfataway
    Options
    Did you know that a can of coke (coca cola) can actually clean your toilet bowl Or even get rid of or loosen grease from your soiled clothes? Try it if you haven't.
  • CINNAMON77_00
    CINNAMON77_00 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Diet coke addict here. Something fierce. Decided this morning that I am done. Told everyone I have run into so far today that if they see me with one in my hand to really ride my case. I think that even with the 100 + oz of water I am drinking that it IS hindering my weight loss. Hopefully in a month I will have some solid results!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I cut out soda entirely and haven't attempted to do diet soda in it's place. The taste is awful to me, but even moreso, the few times I have tried it, it's made me crave sweets sooooooooooooooo badly after. It's why I'm avoiding even the carbonated flavored waters. Not sure why, but it just triggers my WANT ENTIRE BAGS OF CHOCOLATE cravings with a vengeance.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Did you know that a can of coke (coca cola) can actually clean your toilet bowl Or even get rid of or loosen grease from your soiled clothes? Try it if you haven't.
    And what does that suggest about anything?

Do you know the acidity level of your stomach and what that can do to all sorts of materials?
  • runningfataway
    Options
    And what does that suggest about anything?

Do you know the acidity level of your stomach and what that can do to all sorts of materials?

If you want to drink **** that can also be used to clean **** than by all means, go ahead.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    It didn't hinder the process for me. I like Coke Zero better than Diet Coke, though. :)

This for me as well.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

So can vinegar...
  • NemoDog
    Options
    If I could get a Diet Coke IV I would LOL
    I live off the stuff as I don't drink coffee or tea and have had no issues dropping weight!
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Annie, if you are eating right and excersizing, don't worry about diet coke, it is not going to put weight on you! I'm a diet pepsi person myself

Would you add me to your friend list?

Basil
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I don't care if its terrible for me and gonna give me cancer one day. I'm a self admitted addict!!!! Can't live without my Diet Coke!

Ditto! I keep trying, but I'm not very successful in stopping. :ohwell: