Is cardio all I need?

I do a lot of cardio but it doesn't seem to help?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Help do what? Cardio will improve your lung and heart function. Cardio is not a miracle weight loss cure. Your diet plays the major role in weight loss.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    That, and the love of a good woman.
  • Colofit
    Colofit Posts: 177 Member
    Try weights...much more important than cardio...cardio 2x a week...weights 3x!!!!
  • Muscle also helps to permanently raise your metabolism. Your body burns more at rest when you have muscle. Muscle also makes your cardio more effective and it looks good. I can't say enough positive things about building muscle : ).
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I do a lot of cardio but it doesn't seem to help?

Strength training, strength training, strength training....
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Cardio is good for overall cardiovascular health, fitness, endurance etc etc and it burns calories which help burn fat.

But strength training is important too! It helps you to maintain your muscle mass, making you look more "toned", it helps you get stronger, may not burn quite as many calories during the workout, but burns tons more than cardio in the 24hrs after your workout!! Basically, losing weight through just cardio and diet helps you look great with clothes on. Add strength training to the mix and it helps you look great with your clothes off!

Also, you can very rarely out exercise a bad diet. How is your diet?
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Umm sure it is all you need, but better question is are you the lazy kind or achieving kind?

Do you run fartleks? YASSO 800?, hill repeats? LSD runs? Structure for training?

If you just go for a jog every day or two, then not really going to help, maybe tiny bit, but not much as your body will adapt and you wont lose much once it does. You need to always be pushing the boundaries.

If you are not that kind of person, then do some weights, it is the easier method where anyone can do stupid things and still expect to lose because of the extra energy requirement from the extra muscle mass acquired.

Running is hands down the best, however you need to have a proper plan and goals.

For instance, I plan to run 56km race next april, then in may a 90km race for running. Cycling in march a 110km race (Which I do every year as I must complete my medal collection and been doing for last 5yrs...) then august a 400km mountain bike race. Year after am doing a 470km running race through cambodia. Looks amazing to run through villages etc all over 6 days.

I need structured and hard training to achieve those, I can't just run a few times a week at slow paces and expect to finish those races comfortably. I plan on cycling a sub 3hr time for next years 110km cycle race.

It is HARD work! These weight people can say all they want, but when you burn close to 6-8000 calories a week training, there isn't much you need to do but focus on nutrition and just cut back slightly on carbs for the weight loss...
  • Help do what? Cardio will improve your lung and heart function. Cardio is not a miracle weight loss cure. Your diet plays the major role in weight loss.

This.
  • Zangpakto
    Help do what? Cardio will improve your lung and heart function. Cardio is not a miracle weight loss cure. Your diet plays the major role in weight loss.

This.

I do remember something now that think about it.

One report stated something about weight loss as 80% diet, and only 20% training.

Holds pretty much true as it is hard to train away extra calories, however not impossible, but very hard, however you can stop training 100%, change your diet, and still lose weight.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    I started with cardio only and lost a lot of weight, but not size so much. I enjoy cardio to a point, but it's winter and so since I'm indoors it gets boring.

I started with weights two weeks ago and I'm in love. I've lost an inch on my wasit in the two weeks from that compared to the previous inch taking a month with cardio and diet alone. Love love love weights. I still do a lot of cardio to improve my lung capacatiy, cardiovascular strength, and endurance.
  • Zangpakto
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    What are your goals?

Both cardio and strength training are relevant.