protein bars

Options
I tried my very first protein bar yesturday & it was horrible :sick: It was Nutribar - Chocolate Peanut. I felt as if I was eating chalk. Are there any good protein bars out there? Let me know what your favortie bar is & I will give it a try. I only use the bars for emergency situations.

Replies

• jquintinjr
    jquintinjr Posts: 191
    Options
    i eat a few kinds

-odwalla super protein
    -zone perfect bars
    -promax bars
    -met rx
    -supreme protein carb concious
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I won't eat preservatives or anything artificial, so that really limits my choices. Builder's Bars by Clif are all natural and so are Think Thin bars. Also, you can make your own.

Recipes - http://www.liftforlife.com/proteinbars.htm
  • dinoguns
    dinoguns Posts: 4
    Options
    I like the special k meal replacement bars. They're cheaper than most, filling, and they don't taste awful.
  • hema
    hema Posts: 19
    Options
    I only eat Lara bars. They are only friut and nuts, not processed chemicals.
    I follow food rules, if you can't pronounce what's in it, you don't eat it.
  • balance9
    balance9 Posts: 160
    Options
    I only eat Lara bars. They are only friut and nuts, not processed chemicals.
    I follow food rules, if you can't pronounce what's in it, you don't eat it.
    Ditto. Bora Bora bars and Trio bars are all natural as well, but you would need to add some protein to make it a complete snack/meal. I don't eat a lot of bars, but when I need something portable I will eat one of these brands and add a low-fat cheese stick (Trader Joes has organic) or a small Greek yogurt, pouch of salmon, etc. for protein.
  • foxywife75
    foxywife75 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great feedback. I will look into them all. I am making sure to keep my sugar intake 4g or less & I am not eating any animal fat. My main sorce of protein is from soy, chicken & fish. I agree with the all-natural things aswell.
  • aareeyesee
    aareeyesee Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    A little off topic but obviously you are female and with the foods you have restricted from your diet you may want to be careful about your iron levels, they could be low.
  • foxywife75
    Options
    A little off topic but obviously you are female and with the foods you have restricted from your diet you may want to be careful about your iron levels, they could be low.

Thanks aareeyesee for the heads up but I am taking supplements to ensure I am getting everything. I do eat a 4 legged animal once a week. Too much iron for me makes me very sick.
  • apetermann
    Options
    Give Luna Bars a try...I've just started eating them myself, and was a bit hesitant as a few I had tried were really horrid. Luna is made by the same company as Cliff Bars, but the Luna's are fine tuned to fit women's nutritional needs. There are quite a few different flavors, and I believe most are only 180 calories!
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    My personal preference are for ThinkThin protein bars. In particulary, Crunchy Peanut Butter. No sugars added. If you want your own "whole food" kind, I like the recipe found at stumptuous.com: http://www.stumptuous.com/make-your-own-protein-bars
  • YGONZAL9
    YGONZAL9 Posts: 2
    Options
    Yes I have that same issues with eating protein bars...but Luna bars are pretty good and taste good compared to others. ;)
  • dkcj4fox
    dkcj4fox Posts: 35
    Options
    I love Labrada Cookie Rolls ---- Iced Brownie or Cinnamon Bun are really good. 10 secs in the microwave and they are even better!!!

lab_Cookie_roll_WS-01.jpg
  • carmelukis
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of atkin bars.. they have alot of protein and some of them even taste like a chocolate bar.. i would try them.. my favorite is chewy nut bar:)
  • foxywife75
    Options
    So I've started to look into some of these awesome suggestions & here's what I found:
    A good chunk of these bars have a HUGE amount of sugar or HFC's in them. I really need to keep my sugar intake to 4g or less per serving & I am doing whatever I can to stay away from HFC's all together.
    It's also costing me big $ to keep buying bars to try...lol.
    My other issue is that I live in Canada, so some of these bars are hard to find but I'm not giving up.
    I loved the idea of the Luna brand for all the extra ingredients but again sugar was way to high for me. The Think Thins seem to fit what I am looking for because the sugar measurement is 0! :smile: Not sure if I will be able to find them in Canada.
    I am going to try the receipe, I love that I idea because I have complete control of what is going into my bar. Thanks HILL242 for the receipe :happy:
    I did find a bar on the weekend that had only 2 g of sugar per bar. Pure Protein was the brand. But again I felt like I was eating toffee with a grain texture & bad after taste. :sick:
    I guess my husband will eating those as well for me :wink:
    Maybe these protein bars are not for me but I know there is one out there, somewhere.
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Honestly, for the best taste, avoid any preprocessed bars and make your own. I have done the recipe I linked a couple times and while it's a little more effort, 1) you know what's in it, 2) you're not paying $2 a bar, and 3) it tastes better.
  • afluegel
    afluegel Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have been on the Curves high protein diet for a few months now and was having a hard time getting all my protein in. The owner suggested to try Pure Protein Bars. They only have 2g sugar in them. I have tried all flavors but only like the Chocolate Peanut Butter flavor. I love them and they are very filling with 20g of protein and low in sugar.
  • Jparadise72
    Options
    I like the special k meal replacement bars. They're cheaper than most, filling, and they don't taste awful.

I love these.. the chocolate Peanut butter ones are my favs.