Strength Training/ Weights?

Options
Hi I'm new to this whole site and weight lifting. I was wondering whats a good idea to start? Whenever I go to the gym I'm all intimidated by all the really big guys using the machines and then I'm not sure what's good for your arms, abs, legs, etc. So I end up walking around the gym looking dumb.

Can someone please give me an idea of where to start? I'm good with Cardio I do zumba and kickboxing and run on the treadmill for 20mins every time I go to the gym. It's just I don't know about weights. I really want to look strong and healthy not flabby =[

Please and Thank You

Replies

• dzarello
    dzarello Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm new to this whole site and weight lifting. I was wondering whats a good idea to start? Whenever I go to the gym I'm all intimidated by all the really big guys using the machines and then I'm not sure what's good for your arms, abs, legs, etc. So I end up walking around the gym looking dumb.

Can someone please give me an idea of where to start? I'm good with Cardio I do zumba and kickboxing and run on the treadmill for 20mins every time I go to the gym. It's just I don't know about weights. I really want to look strong and healthy not flabby =[

Please and Thank You

Maybe try asking one of the mean, scary guys questions about where to start. Some might blow you off, but there are ones that are more than willing to help. Try looking at something simple like Stronglifts 5x5. It is bench press, squat, deadlift, overhead press and row. Thats it. Look at that and then ask questions at your gym.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    hey my dear, the gym can be very intimidating. I do new rules of lifting for women (cheap on amazon.com). It's very comprehensive and built for newbies and pros. Also do some research. I go on bodybuilding.com to read articles for beginners. getting started is the hardest part, but once you're full tilt you're going to feel awesome. Don't let the big guys are the gym scare you, they're looking at themselves more then they're looking at you. good luck! add me if you need me :)
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Look up Stronglifts 5 x 5.

Also, if you're intimidated by people at the gym, try going when there aren't a lot around. I feel I get a much better workout when I'm the only one in the weight room. :smile:
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Pick a routine (the above are good suggestions) and then ignore everyone else in the room and focus on you. If you need help though I agree with dzarello, ask the big mean scary guys.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength (a book and accompanying DVD by Mark Rippetoe) and Stronglifts 5x5 are the defacto places to start. The programs are very similar in nature with no clear one being better than the other (although Starting Strength takes a lot more care to explain to you the science behind it all and proper form with the lifts and such).
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    When I joined the gym I got a free personal training session. I took New Rules of Lifting for women in and had her show me some of them machines. All else fails ask one of the guys, I am sure someone would be nice enough to help you! I have had guys tell me they LOVE to see a woman in the weight area.

More power to you!
  • big_drake
    Options
    I go early in the morning. It's hard some mornings but It's a lot better than having to fight the crowds of meatheads and wannabe meatheads. If you go to your gym at various times over say a week or two you should be able to find a time with a crowd you are less intimidated with.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Look up Stronglifts 5 x 5.

Also, if you're intimidated by people at the gym, try going when there aren't a lot around. I feel I get a much better workout when I'm the only one in the weight room. :smile:

^^ This.

Just go to www.stronglifts.com. The program is totally free, there are videos to show you correct form, and you start light (relatively) and work your way up, which gives you time to focus on form and it can be done within half an hour at the beginning since you're only doing three exercises a workout.

I personally pair it with about 20 minutes of cardio and things have been going really well.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I'm just echoing the same sentiment as the rest. The stronglifts program has made a difference for me already. I was working on the machines, but opted to give it a shot. Don't worry about anyone else, you're only there for you in the first place.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    My best advice is to get a trainer for a few sessions to show you good form and take the intimidation out of the weight room. Then pick up a program like Stronglifts, New Rules, Beginning Strength, etc. Good luck, honey! Weights are awesome.
  • crazylovergrl
    crazylovergrl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    bodybuilding.com rocks!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    in my gym, Friday, Sunday and Tuesday are the ideal time to work out, everyone normally goes M/W/F so it's jam packed. I also go later in the evening, I work in a business area so people go at lunch and right after work. I wait until 7:00pm and there's always plenty of room to work out. Test out your gym at different times on different days. And hold on tight, New Years is coming, it's going to be crazy busy but it will die out around February.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    When I staredt doing weights at the gym I staredt with mostly machines and a bit of free weights for bicep curls and triceps. After reading a ton on here, I slowly but surely moved over all the way to free weights. It can be intimidating but you have just as much right to be there as they do. Soon enough you will be feeling fantastic and not giving a damn who else is there! I don't follow a specific program but I can tell you the lifts that I do: squats, deadlifts, chest press, overhead press, rows, step-ups, pushups, assisted pull-ups/chin-ups and planks. Like I said though, didn't start that way! Now I'm happy with the mix of moves and will likely stick with this for a while. Do some research and maybe start small. Your confidence will grow quickly!
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I agree...ask some of the guys to get some help or, see if your gym has any personal trainers. I know mine gave me an hour long first time meeting this weekend so I was able to go over weights and such since I have the cardio down too. You might think everyone is staring at you but they're really just worrying about themselves. Good luck!