Daily Calories and Alcohol

Options
So, I have been doing the 1200 calories for 4 weeks now and weight is shifting slowly. However, I really enjoy a glass of wine (or two) of an evening. I am counting this in my daily calories, but is this something that I should not be doing?? Is it going to impact any progress? Considering I am usually under my calorie limit by 100 or so. Any advice is welcome ! :drinker:

Replies

• lesliev523
    lesliev523 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    It shouldn't a problem as long as you are honest about how much you are drinking... that is the hardest part. Wine is usually measured 4oz for a serving.... most wine glasses are MUCH larger than that.

Enjoy your wine! I love mine as well!
  • andy13
    andy13 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    You gotta track all the booze :-[ With 7 calories per gram, the number of calories in alcohol is second only after fat (9 cals/g).
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    So, including the alcohol you are consuming you are still coming in at under 1200 net calories for the day? Meaning you are probably eating less than 1000 calories a day and then drinking the rest?

While yes, you should be counting your wine in your calorie total, you should probably also be eating more.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I track whatever alcohol I drink, which is probably around 6 drinks a week. Calories are calories. :smile:

edit: and I would add that the poster above makes a good point about eating more. Imho, of course.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    It won't hurt you as long as you are counting the calories and measuring it properly.

Also, if the alcohol takes the place of food than it may not be a good thing to have. Ensure you are getting all the required nutrients (which can be tough to do on such low cals) before drinking.
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Track it... I stick to booze with no carbs. Such a waste. Vodka, Rum, etc...
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should be counting it...the bigger issue is even with the wine you are still routinely coming in uder 1200. There is no magic number for everyone, but chances are your body needs more than that from actual nutrients to function properly.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I'd be more concerned about being at only 1100 calories for the day including 2 glasses of wine. That doesn't sound like a whole lot of food.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Log it
  • Hayliela
    Options
    I always do log it, but perhaps my "glass" of wine is not a standard measure! I have been diluting it with some diet lemonade to have less in the glass. Although I am usually under the 1200 calories, I feel I am getting enough food, I dont feel hungry throughout the day and am balancing fruit and veg for extra food without the calories! I am quite short, 4'11 - so perhaps just under 1200 is enough for my size? Also having 2 wine free days a week - so making the effort :P
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html

Here is a good article on alcohol. Wine is a good choice, but accompany it with higher protein and low carb foods. Muscle better for you. Also, the 1200 make may be good if you are not exercise. If you exercise, you can eat more and should eat more. Also with only 10 lbs or less to lose, your account should be set at 1/2 lb per week. The less you have to get to a normal weight, the less aggressive you can be.
  • Fit_And_Heathy_Goalie
    Options
    I love wine too, but I would limit consumption (1-2 small glasses a week at most) if you want to see consistent weight loss on the scale. I treat it as I would any sweet--moderation! Once you're close to goal weight, you can add more back into your daily plan and see how your body/the scale responds.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options

"At the end of this article I'm also going to show you how a hopeless drunk like myself can stay lean while drinking on a regular basis."

I love this guy.:laugh: