Frustrated & Discouraged

Options
I was frustrated because I wasn't losing anything and working my butt off at the gym so I started using this app 4 wks ago! After the 1st 3 wks I lost 6.4 lbs and was excited. Now I feel a little discouraged because I worked out every day last week from Sunday to Saturday to try to "burn the bird" for Thanksgiving and I ended up gaining 3.2 lbs back!! I don't feel that I completely overate!! Why can't I get this figured out!! Any advice?

Replies

• now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    You won't lose every week. Weight loss isn't a simple math equation.

Are you eating enough? Drinking enough water? Are you eating a lot of sodium (processed and frozen foods)? Sodium will cause gains. Not drinking enough water can as well. Is it close to your TOM? Have you recently changed your exercise routine? Have you done a lot of weight lifting or an exercise you normally haven't done? A lot of things can cause a temporary gain.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Part of increased caloric intake is extra water to aid in processing the food and storing certain nutrients.

Additionally, excessive exercising can also cause water retention.

So long as your weight continues to go down in the long run, short term gains are nothing to worry about.
  • doreenindetroit
    Options
    Your weight is just one of millions of data points to meature on a journey to a healthier life. Most people set a goal weight and make that the end of the journey, and this is the wrong attitude! The data point will change from time to time, mostly for the better if you are doing the right things but you won't lose weight every single day so please don't expect to. Don't lose sight of the big picture: Focus more on what you eat (balanced, healthy), how much you eat (listen to your stomach! Stop when you are full), and continue your exercise. Weight is not the only measurement of better health, and I would try to avoid measuring progress solely on weight. Exercise alone provides countless immediate health benefits like cardiovascular improvement, helps lower cholesterol, and controls blood sugar. Isn't that something to be proud of? Keep it up!
  • anaju61
    anaju61 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what you are doing and be patient. It works.
  • Sunflowertina
    Sunflowertina Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I thought I was eating enough last week-I stuck to 1200 on all the days except for Thanksgiving and my 2nd Thanksgiving on Saturday so the extra calories those days wouldn't be so bad! I have tried being patient (over a year) with only 22 lbs lost and working out 4-5 days a week sometimes w/2 workouts a day. I started this to see what I was eating vs working out and I wasn't eating enough so I have increased that amount. I am trying not to be discouraged, but it just seems when I get some results I get setbacks.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    I thought I was eating enough last week-I stuck to 1200 on all the days except for Thanksgiving and my 2nd Thanksgiving on Saturday so the extra calories those days wouldn't be so bad! I have tried being patient (over a year) with only 22 lbs lost and working out 4-5 days a week sometimes w/2 workouts a day. I started this to see what I was eating vs working out and I wasn't eating enough so I have increased that amount. I am trying not to be discouraged, but it just seems when I get some results I get setbacks.

Every single person who loses weight will have weeks, sometimes months where they struggle to lose. Keep tracking. Keep getting on the scale. Keep doing the things you need to do.

What you don't need to do is obsessively exercise and stick to 1200 calories. I hope you have been eating the calories earned by exercise. That is how this site is supposed to be used. Here, these will help - they say it far better than I could:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calories

It's common to have weeks where you lose several pounds and then lose nothing for a while. It is the way it works. Weight loss is not a steady downward line on a spreadsheet. It is about a pattern of behavior over time. You have to allow for holidays and special occasions. Life is like that. Two steps forward, one back. It's okay. That "weight" you gained probably wasn't fat....unless you ate 10,000 calories more than your maintenance calories. Which is unlikely.

You only fail when you quit.
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Cupcakehippiemommy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Part of increased caloric intake is extra water to aid in processing the food and storing certain nutrients.

Additionally, excessive exercising can also cause water retention.

So long as your weight continues to go down in the long run, short term gains are nothing to worry about.
    Yes completely agree with this ^^
  • EpitomeOfSxy
    EpitomeOfSxy Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I was training hard and measuring every thing I ate and I hit a plateau and I was so frustrated. A friend of mine who was a trainer at the time told me I was stressing my body out and overworking it. He told me to eat my 2,100 calories a day (that I did when I worked out hard - did heavy weight lifting) and do nothing for 4 days, sleep, read, do everything in bed. NO exercise and sleep as much as possible. I thought he was nuts, how would I get through my plateau with eating a lot of calories and NOT working out?! I had tried everything, calorie restriction, low carb, more cardio, no weights, heavier weights, etc ... you name it I altered it for a good month and lost nothing. I talked to him, reluctantly took his advice and in those 4 days of sleeping, eating and watching tv I shed almost 5lbs. You might be overworking yourself like I did.
  • mboktay
    mboktay Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I agree with what has been said so far, the only other thing I might contribute is "change up" your workout routine and your food choices. Our bodies get used to the same routine and don't respond any longer. Try a different cardio exercise or something completely different altogether. Change up the foods you are eating as well. I also truly believe in the 6 small meals a day. You will do great. It could very well be just water weight. Do NOT be discouraged you are on the right track to feeling better, looking better healthier YOU!
  • Sunflowertina
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the encouragment! I take all the advice given and use it where I can! I need all the help I can get and hearing ideas and such from other people that have had similar experiences really helps a lot!!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    First, you have only been at this for 4 weeks... you didn't gain all the weight that long and you didn't gain it all in 4 weeks, so give it time. If you freak out easily look at the scale once a month. Second, if you workout like crazy, you should feed your body more. Remember, diet is weight loss, exercise is fitness. When you exercise and don't fuel your body, your body will acquire the fuel source from somewhere else... first your fat stores then your lean body mass. So when you exercise, to help prevent the hormone responses, maybe you should eat 1600 calories. BTW, I also hope that working out involves weight training. It's much better for fat loss.
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    When I was just starting i was using 1200 as a cap instead of a minimum. If you don't get enough calories into your diet, your body goes into starvation mode and stores what you eat. Make sure you are eating AT LEAST your calorie goal for the day. If you feel like you ate too much, go for a 15 minute walk to burn them.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    It is probably mostly water weight. Thanksgiving dishes are usually packed with sodium. Even if it is not you are still ahead of where you were and just keep looking ahead to where you want to be a month from now. The most important thing is how you feel and how you clothes fit. Don't worry so much about the numbers. My numbers haven't moved much but my pants are definately fitting much better than before.
  • Sunflowertina
    Options
    First, you have only been at this for 4 weeks... you didn't gain all the weight that long and you didn't gain it all in 4 weeks, so give it time. If you freak out easily look at the scale once a month. Second, if you workout like crazy, you should feed your body more. Remember, diet is weight loss, exercise is fitness. When you exercise and don't fuel your body, your body will acquire the fuel source from somewhere else... first your fat stores then your lean body mass. So when you exercise, to help prevent the hormone responses, maybe you should eat 1600 calories. BTW, I also hope that working out involves weight training. It's much better for fat loss.

I have only been using this tool for 4 weeks, but have working on my weightloss for over a year- and yes since using this tool I have found that I was not eating enough food so I have increased that amount except last week because of the excess food for Thanksgiving. And yes weight training is included in my workout plan. Thank you for the info and help!
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    As said before- this weight didn't get gained overnight, its not going to come off fast, not real weight loss, that is sustained. Need patience, need to learn about your own body's needs, including your caloric intake, which seems very low. Also, if you want help, maybe open up your diary for a couple days so some of the more experienced on here can help you identify things that may be hurting your.
    Sent your a friend request- weight loss is a journey- not a quest, you can do this, and we can help :smile:
  • radicalmom
    radicalmom Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    So agree with Dorreen. Looking at the whole picture is a great way to not get sucked into some of tapes we play in our heads, while mine at least. It keeps the focus on the positive. Love it!! Thanks Doreen!!! And keep on working on your lifestyle. It's all very good and makes such a difference in how we feel...stronger, healthier, lighter (in attitude as well as body). Hang in there!!!:smile: