Juicers - thinking about getting myself one for Christmas

Options
The prices vary, but was looking at this one on Amazon Breville BJE510XL Juice Fountain Multi-Speed 900-Watt Juicer , its about $193 USD. Would like to juice greens, fruit, vegetables.....at least once a day... thanks!

Replies

• hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    you will use it every day for about 3 weeks - after which you will either have developed an aversion to the juices or can't face cleaning it afterwards.

(I'm really selling this idea, aren't I?)
  • AngieBee67
    AngieBee67 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I was looking at the Nutribullet. It's suppose to pulverize everything so you get ALL the nutrients and stuff. 100 bucks at Walmart.com.
  • trchristy
    trchristy Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    you will use it every day for about 3 weeks - after which you will either have developed an aversion to the juices or can't face cleaning it afterwards.

(I'm really selling this idea, aren't I?)

yeah I hate cleaning mine, love the juice it makes though :)
  • IsisRosa
    IsisRosa Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have a blendtec blender that I use to make green smoothies. (kale/spinach, frozen fruit, carrots, yogurt, banana, orange and water) Unless you specifically want juice, you might want to look into a high end blender. I added more water to my smoothie today and it's basically a green juice now. Green smoothies are much better for you than green juices because with a blended drink, you end up ingesting all of the food. Juicers strip out the pulp and fiber.

Also, high end blenders (like blendtec and vitamix) can be used for other things. The other day I made crab cakes with imitation crab meat. 3 seconds in my blender turned the meat chunks into shredded meat. And blenders are much easier to clean than juicers.

I've been drinking green smoothies for about a year now and still use my blender almost daily.
  • I love my Lack Lalanne power juicer~
  • paulaann67
    paulaann67 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have bought every kind & by far my most recent one is the NUTRIBULLET. Hands down it's the best $90 at Target it totally pulverized anything you put in it. I have spent hundreds on these blenders & wish I had tried this first. It's the best one out there & does what it says it does
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    I spent $99 on a Jack La Lanne Juicer from Walmart...I used it every day for about 4 months; now I use it once or twice per week and I've had it for 11 months.

Edit - I will add that I will make 2-3 juices at one time that way I can use/clean it less. I am not a fan of cleaning it (I am lazy). :blushing:
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Green smoothies are much better for you than green juices because with a blended drink, you end up ingesting all of the food. Juicers strip out the pulp and fiber.

^^ It really depends why you are juicing; I get my fiber from eating raw salads and smoothies, however when I'm feeling like my ph is too acidic the quickest way to re balance without over eating and going over on calories is through a green juice. Ph balance is very important in your body. Most people have very high acidic because they eat mostly prepared foods; high acidic ph is the the cause of disease, sickness and cancer. The more alkaline our ph...the less likely you are going to be sick and lower risk for cancer because cancer cannot thrive in an alkaline environment.
  • rayray61
    rayray61 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Love to juice, but its a pain in the buut to clean !!!!!
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Just eat more fruits and vegetables.

Cheaper and no mess of cleaning the damn thing, plus you get all the fiber and goodness.
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Check out omega vert 350. Very easy to clean masticating juicer. Use it almost every day and have been for close to a year
  • riotshows
    Options
    I don't drink my carbs as I am diabetic. I also prefer to chew rather than drink. But I can see how this would be a great way to get
    more nutrients by volumizing vegetables.
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options

Cheaper and no mess of cleaning the damn thing, plus you get all the fiber and goodness.

Yes, but some of us like to juice in addition to eating fruits and veggies.
  • heroyalslimness
    heroyalslimness Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I have bought every kind & by far my most recent one is the NUTRIBULLET. Hands down it's the best $90 at Target it totally pulverized anything you put in it. I have spent hundreds on these blenders & wish I had tried this first. It's the best one out there & does what it says it does

You can get it at Target? Can NOT wait!
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options

Yes, but some of us like to juice in addition to eating fruits and veggies.

This

And one of my favorites is juicing an orange and a lime and mixing it with a gallon of water and drinking it throughout the day. Very refreshing and great way to drink more water.
  • judiiiiindisguise
    judiiiiindisguise Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your input everyone, much appreciated!
  • janbo19
    janbo19 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Love love love my Vitamix! Pricey but worth it & easy to clean.
  • boji4ever
    boji4ever Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've had a juicer and once the novelty runs out it was a pain to clean and not worth the effort. Last week I got a Vitamix blender and love it! Runs circles around the juicer - I don't even peel or seed my apples, just cut them in quarters. Add spinach to everything to make green smoothies and if I want it juicier I just add more water or white grape juice. Basically cleans itself in 30 seconds with water and soap on high. It is a little spendy ($400 and on up), but worth it if you are trying to be healthier. Makes your own soup (and heats in 5 minutes of blending) but best of all in 30 seconds I can have homemade ice cream (vanilla, ice cubes, Splenda and fresh fruit), under 100 calories and 2 cups so I get my sweet fix. Fresh peanut butter and applesauce and once I get a dry blade I can make my own dough and more! I'd rethink the juicer for long term...my 2 cents!
  • VictoriaWorksOut
    VictoriaWorksOut Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I have a juicer and juice regularly for last 10 years (Juicelady juicer), but it is not efficient and does not do much with leafy greens. I have been wanting to get new juicer and after researching all I can find I am down to 2.

Green star GS-5000 $525
    Omega J8006 $282.

Green star has special technology that keeps more minerals in juice. Some amazing studies on how GS juice heals cancer and ulcers. Any juicer you get you want it to be low speed 110 RPMs or less so minerals and enzymes are in your juice and you get maximum healing power from your veggies.

http://www.healingcancernaturally.com/green-star-green-power-juicers.html

http://www.healingcancernaturally.com/dr-waselus-green-star-test.html

There is also video on these two juicers compared if you want to watch
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tf45nEWTdo

Still deciding, but leaning towards Green Star for the value of juice. Omega is easier to clean and assemble, though.