vegetarian diet..and unfortunate side effects.

Options
I was wondering if anyone.....not shameful to say..LOL, but have bloating and gas from being vegetarian. OMG...I remember why I quit over the summer. I recently started up again due to looking at my lab results back then and it is a very very healthy way to eat. But!!!! Everything I eat points to pain. Apples, green vegetables, dairy, beans,....I am kinda screwed. LOL...anyone have this problem!?!

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Keep an eye on your fiber intake
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone.....not shameful to say..LOL, but have bloating and gas from being vegetarian. OMG...I remember why I quit over the summer. I recently started up again due to looking at my lab results back then and it is a very very healthy way to eat. But!!!! Everything I eat points to pain. Apples, green vegetables, dairy, beans,....I am kinda screwed. LOL...anyone have this problem!?!

If you weren't eating those things before you went vegetarian, then it's not uncommon. Your gut may need time to adjust to any sudden or drastic change in diet, epecially if it increases your fiber intake. If you don't have an intollerance to one of these foods it should get better after a while.

But whether or not you include meat, you should still eat plenty of vegetables and fruit. Don't give those up!
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I have bloating and gas and I'm not a vegetarian...before any haters chime in.
  • cindycrn40
    Options
    I LOVE veggies and have no problem being a vegetarian, but I think I just need to watch my intake of fiber and maybe take a pepcid. I am making broccoli, butternut squash with whole grain pasta....I am going to just have the butternut squash and pasta...especially after making vegetarian chili last night. LOL! I look prego today ! ;-)
  • Colstriper
    Colstriper Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I know the more beans you eat the less they effect your digestion. Keep at it!

But I'd never be a vegetarian - love meat too much!
  • mollylaremeter
    mollylaremeter Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    give it time to let your body adjust, and take beano.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I have been on a plant based diet since March, and I did have this problem initially, but it went away once my body got used to the higher fiber intake.
  • cindycrn40
    Options
    Thanks for the words of encouragement! I definitely plan on sticking with it.