Treadmill vs spinning bike

Options
I am thinking about getting a treadmill or a spinning bike for the house. My main goals are to lose weight and to tone my legs. Do you prefer one vs the other? I do not go to the gym, and I do not have knee problems.

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I prefer the bike, because I prefer riding over running.

On a side note, assuming you wanted to, it's much easier to run in bad conditions than it is to bike.
  • medaglia_06
    medaglia_06 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I prefer the treadmill because the bike hurts my bum... if anyone has any tips for that let me know because I do find it more of a workout...
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I have both but find the treadmill is favored over the bike.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Love the spin bike but my *kitten* can only handle 2x per week... So out of those 2 a treddie. I'd love a crosstrainer / elliptical though. Gets my HR up and low impact x
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I sold my treadmill for a Spin Bike. No regrets.

BTW - Spin Bikes shouldn't hurt to ride. Check the way it's adjusted. I always wear my bike shorts with chamois and have done rides up to an hour long and have never had any pain.
  • meganrpelican
    meganrpelican Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Go for the bike, the calorie burn is so much better. Make sure it is a spinning bike that you are buying though and not a stationary bike....very different things. I have lost so much weight spinning. Weight that i never thought would come off. As far as the spinning bike goes it will hurt you butt/crotch for a good two weeks. Stick it out bc u get used to it. I teach spinning and i swear the "pain in the butt" keeps alot of newcomers from a great fitness routine. I swear soreness ends. The second class i went to i had to stand the whole time it was so bad and now the bike is comfortable and i am skinny.
  • Lesley2901
    Lesley2901 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I prefer the treadmill because the bike hurts my bum... if anyone has any tips for that let me know because I do find it more of a workout...

I agree with @Meganrpelican that the soreness does end once you start to use the the bike regularly. I also find that sitting right back into the seat helps.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Depends!

What do you see yourself doing more? Both can be done outside...

Spinning is awesome because you can go to a group class if you want or ride around in a group club outside. You have to deal with purchasing a lot of "stuff" for this sport... Especially if you take it outside to road bike. Spinning does require special shoes to get the most out of your work out. You can also just hop on a bike and get going without really much training. Your butt will hurt but that goes away pretty quickly.

Running is great because you don't have a whole lot of gear to worry about and don't have to worry about navigating busy streets. It is a solo sport though so if you hate working out alone then you probably won't enjoy it. Treadmills are boring at times and it takes a while to build up endurance to run good distances so you have to have patience.

They are both cardio sports that I think are wonderful! If I could I would do both somehow but would take it outside mainly. I run now because my road bike was stolen.

Make sure you are doing what you love! Both are adaptable in the winter and summer.
    85355 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the responses.