What to so with mesa flour?

Options
lucky1ns
lucky1ns Posts: 358 Member
I had to buy a 5 lb bag for a recipe that only needed 1 cup.

Any ideas of what I can do with it?

Sorry, it's masa.

Replies

• lucky1ns
    lucky1ns Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I just found this on papayahead, it sounds awesome!

Pupusas Revueltas
    Ground turkey and lowfat cheese help keep down the fat and calories in this tasty dish.
    This recipe provided by the US National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI)
    This recipe makes 12 servings.
    Prep Time: 10
    Cook Time: 50

Ingredients:
    1 pound ground chicken or turkey breast
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1/2 small onions, diced
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 medium (approx 2-3/4" long, 2-1/2" dia each) green bell peppers, seeded, minced
    1 small whole (2-2/5" dia) tomatoes, chopped
    5 cups masa flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    6 cups water
    1/2 pound part skim mozzarella cheese, grated

Recipe Instruction:
    1. In nonstick skillet, saute chicken or turkey in oil over low heat until it turns white. Stir chicken constantly to keep it from sticking.
    2. Add onion, garlic, green pepper, and tomato. Cook chicken mixture through. Remove skillet from stove and let mixture cool in a bowl in the refrigerator.
    3. Meanwhile, place masa flour and salt in large mixing bowl and stir in enough water to make stiff, tortilla-like dough.
    4. When chicken mixture has cooled, mix in cheese.
    5. Divide dough into equal portions. With your hands, roll dough into balls and flatten each into a 3 inch wide, 1/2 inch thick circle. Put spoonful of chicken mixture in middle of each circle of dough and bring edges to center. Flatten ball of dough again until it is 1/2 inch thick.
    6. In very hot iron skillet, cook pupusas on each side until golden brown. Serve hot.
  • princessfiona
    princessfiona Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    The only thing I've ever used masa for is making tortillas - there's probably a recipe for them on the package, we used to sprinkle them with Spike seasoning...they are sooo good! Way easier if you have a tortilla press, but not really worth it if you're not going to make them a lot.