Is it impossible to burn 1000 calories a day on workouts?

It says my goal is 300 calories a day but I dont get it? 3500 is one pound and it says burn 2400 a week but I wanna burn a pound a week....CONFUSED

If I burn 2400 a week I wont lose 1 pound...

Replies

• disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    In addition to the calories you burn living.
  • How many calories do I burn by living? lol
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    I'm extremely confused.

Anyway, the 3,500 calories = 1 pound is an estimate and not true for everyone. There are other factors involved.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    You aren't expected to burn every single calorie via exercise.
  • you should do some research on BMR and that might clear your head up a bit more.

and it IS possible to burn 1000 calories a day. i have a few friends who do and i have twice ^^ pretty positive you can too
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    I'm confused. Are you saying your goal is to burn 300 per day or your calorie deficit is 300 per day?
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    It isn't impossible to burn 1000 a day on work outs. When I do my 1.5 hours of Tae Kwon Do I burn we'll over 1000 calories. When I run for almost an hour I also burn over 1000 calories. It depends on what you do.
  • LoveAlwaysAlisa
    LoveAlwaysAlisa Posts: 111 Member
    Your body uses approximately 1200 calories daily just to keep you alive...this is just a standard ESTIMATE...each individual is different depending on muscle mass and other factors ( the more muscle mass you have, the more calories your body will burn and require in order to maintain it, which is why strength training is so good for weight loss).... I learned this in my nursing biology class....
    And YES, you could burn that many calories in a day through a strenuous workout. :smile:
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    I have friends that regularly burn 1000 calories in one workout. I burned like 988 the other day from a 7 mile run.
  • ParaSempreAmor11
    ParaSempreAmor11 Posts: 105 Member
    No its not impossible when i run on the treadmill for an hour i would normally burn around 1300 calories and up once i even hit 2000 calories it all depends on what you do on the treadmill i constantly alternate the speed between 6.5 - 8 mph and the incline is usually at 5. On the days i dont feel like running i put the incline on 10 and the speed at 5 and speed walk/jog for an hour
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    I can burn 1000 in workouts a day, easily.

That said you don't have to. Are you having some confusion>
  • kbogart1996
    kbogart1996 Posts: 55 Member
    bump
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    It's not that easy. To burn that much, you have to exert yourself much much more than the machines say you do. Most machines read 2-3 times higher than they should on what you burn. This is also the common pitfall people fall into when they plateau while "eating their exercise calories back".

Keep your diet in a deficit. Do INTENSE exercise. Lifting, sprints ect... to failure to take advantage of the "after burn". Get in plenty of rest days (IMPORTANT!).

Don't bother trying to calculate exercise.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    You have a BMR, which is Basal Metabolic Rate which is what energy your body requires to maintain your weight if you were in a coma. At 18, yours is probably pretty high.

Then we have TDEE, which stands for Total Daily Energy Expenditure and is worked out from a multiplier based on how active you are - say you're lightly active the formula is BMR * 1.375 (I think).

So, let's say your BMR is about 2000 cals as an 18 year old male. Your TDEE is likely in the region of 2750. If you eat less than 2750, you will lose weight. So, if you want to lose a pound a week, ditch 500 calories off of that (cos 7 days * 500 cals = 3500 cals = 1lb).

You need to work out your own BMR though, and I suggest you use fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr

I'll help you out if you're confused, so just shoot me a PM.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    Your body uses approximately 1200 calories daily just to keep you alive...this is just a standard ESTIMATE...each individual is different depending on muscle mass and other factors ( the more muscle mass you have, the more calories your body will burn and require in order to maintain it, which is why strength training is so good for weight loss).... I learned this in my nursing biology class....
    And YES, you could burn that many calories in a day through a strenuous workout. :smile:

Your body burns more than 1200 calories through your metabolic rate alone and ever more so as a man. In fact, most women burn more than that. At 200 lbs 12% body fat, my burn burns almost 2100 calories through my metabolic rate.
  • andy13
    andy13 Posts: 208 Member
    Try pushing a pram down a muddy tow path for 15 miles, I burnt 2600 calories doing that!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    How many calories do I burn by living? lol
    You may want to read the first post in this thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Dan does a very good job of explaining BMR, TDEE, etc. and also gives you the calculations to figure it all out for yourself.