Best heart rate monitor?

Options
The battery recently died in my heart rate monitor, and I'm considering whether I should replace the battery or buy a new heart rate monitor. Anybody have a preference for heart rate monitors? I'd like mine to be affordable and user friendly, it doesn't need a million bells and whistles.

Thanks!

Replies

• FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 and it was 63 shipped and I love it!
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4, love it. :wink:
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    FT4. Good, basic, reliable.
  • GenesisandEden
    GenesisandEden Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4, love it. :wink:
    absolutely =)
  • kaypat09
    kaypat09 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Definitely second (or like... fifth) the Polar FT4!
  • the3erwins
    the3erwins Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I opted for the Polar ft7. I chose it due to the fact that you can upgrade it to link to your computer...if you want to. Works great without that feature as well.
  • mscote12
    mscote12 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to see so many people love the Polar FT4 since I just received mine in the mail yesterday. I am excited to use it :happy:
  • ktbollman
    ktbollman Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Glad I saw this post! I am on amazon trying to find one and the ft4 that everyone is talking about has good reviews. WOOT!
  • TanyaRochelle
    TanyaRochelle Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I tried a fancy Polar and another "fancy" brand. But I love the Polar FT4. It is simple and easy and even I could set it up. Now I don't exercise without it. I love that it is real information... MY information!
  • morielia
    morielia Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I also have a Polar FT4 and it does everything I need it to.
  • dqderrick
    dqderrick Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Not sure if have an iPhone or Android phone... but I swear by Wahoo's BlueHR.

http://www.wahoofitness.com/Products/Wahoo-Fitness-Wahoo-Blue-HR-Heart-Rate-Strap.asp

LOVE IT!

But, you have to have your phone with you at all times. I already use running/biking/exercise apps so that wasn't a problem.

Otherwise, I've used the FT4 and it works very well.
  • Nefetete
    Nefetete Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7, love the feature that it can remember 100 sessions
  • tarakizer
    Options
    I have two Polar FT7s. Neither works due to low body fat in the area where the chest strap goes. I have plenty of fat elsewhere but am skin and bones in the chest area. I contacted Polar, and they said to get their new chest strap. So I did. Same issue. I even tried using it with ultrasound gel (the new chest strap can be used with it). Same issue.

So I decided to purchase the Scosche Rhythm as it's an arm device. I was nervous it wouldn't be accurate as everyone says you have to use a chest strap for it to be accurate. But if I don't have enough body fat, it is 0% accurate!

Before I had lost a bunch of the weight, the FT7 worked fine and had the same heart rate as what my recumbent bike said. So when the FT7 stopped working and I got the Scosche Rhythm, I was able to compare the heart rate to my recumbent bike. And what do you know! The Scosche Rhythm works great on me and has the same heart rate.

Now the Scosche app sucks. It said I burned 537 calories yesterday, but my recumbent bike said 338 and again the recumbent bike would should very similar numbers to the FT7. So I purchased the Digifit app to go along with the Scosche Rhythm. And now I am business with heart rate plus calories burned!

I don't work for Scosche, Digifit or Polar. I'm just a user with skin and bones in the chest area and was on a mission to find one that would work for me!
  • lrob100
    lrob100 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 on the way - hope I like it!
  • kmorganlfc
    kmorganlfc Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Garmin 405. It's my favourite toy.
  • sidhe31
    Options
    I'm a Polar fan. I'm currently using a 7 year old 725x and it's still going strong. I'm on the latest version of the chest strand and it's a big step up from what was previously available. Having used others over the years, a 7 year life span is pretty good. Ultimately it works out to what fits your budget and fitness routines the best. No matter what you go for, make sure you don't skimp on the device. A lower priced unit might seem like a good plan but down the road, the higher end devices show their worth. I've had the battery changed in the wrist unit yearly and have swapped chest straps 4 times over the years but it's been reliable over the 7 years and is still solid.