Can you lose weight by cutting calories but not exercising?

Options
I know it isn't the healthy way to lose weight. However, recovering from surgery, I'm one leg, ankle, foot and shoe short. I am not able to walk so I can't do the normal cardio stuff. I'm going to get on the floor and do some old time exercises, leg lifts and that good stuff. I'm just curious what others have to say on this topic. I cut down on my calories for two weeks----didn't lose one pound. Thought I might see a small decline but no..... so I ate like a pig for 5 days.... smart, I know.

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    yes
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can. Hope you recover soon!
  • hazelnut_
    hazelnut_ Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can. The saying goes that losing weight is 80% diet and 20% exercise. I haven't added any additional exercise to my routine, and I've lost 27lb.
  • KourtneyP83
    Options
    Absolutely...I lost 75lbs with no exercise. Granted I added exercise and gained a little back, but it certainly is possible.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Yup. I lost 20 pounds without exercising too much. The occasional walk with the dogs is about all I do. However, I do have a physically demanding job.
  • joymelinda
    joymelinda Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    you can, but your body will initally go through a "starvation" period eating less than you usually do. It will take a couple of weeks for your body to stop holding on to the extra weight
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Definitely!

I hope you recover quickly!
  • waronmyfat
    waronmyfat Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    of course you can.... its 80% diet and 20% exercise :) you can still exercise too hunny once your on the road to recovery.. pool would be great for you
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    The prisoners of war in the concentration camps all came out skinny !!!!!!
  • 2bmeagain12
    2bmeagain12 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Great question. Loving all the responses. Good luck with your recovery!
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Go to youtube and look up seated cardio. It should come up with quite a few things that might help you find some sort of exercise that you can do.

As for your actual question, yes. Weight loss is mostly diet. The exercise helps you to be "fit" but if you are looking for purely weight loss, diet is where it's at.
  • Hearts_Desire
    Hearts_Desire Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad to have found this thread! Great question to ask for the rest of us who are curious. :)

I'm not one for much exercise, but I too take my dog out for his daily walk for about 45 minutes 5 days a week. So other then that, I don't do much exercise. However I have been eating significantly less, but when I DO eat, I make sure it's something healthy. And if the saying "80/20" is true, then I hope I'm on the right track! Hope the starvation mode doesn't last long though, considering I'm not trying to actually starve myself, just reducing my caloric intake and portions.

Again, great question and answers. Gives people like me so much more hope and motivation to keep sticking to our diet and to not worry too much about exercise.
  • weliveaswedream
    weliveaswedream Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    The prisoners of war in the concentration camps all came out skinny !!!!!!

Umm, not to derail the topic but they were also being worked to the bone maintaining the camps they were in. It's not like they lazed around all day doing nothing.

Back on topic, you definitely can. If you put your stats into MFP and indicate that you are sedentary, it will tell you how much to eat based on that information. Of course, you may need to make adjustments as you find what does and does not work for you. Not knowing what you your food choices were during your two weeks of restricted eating, we can't help you further than that.

I am very interested in seated cardio. As I am currently injured myself, I'll be looking that one up.

Best of luck to you!
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Yes. I lost my first 10 lbs through my calorie deficit alone. After I lost my first 10, I got interested in exercise and started adding it in so I could have more energy. Bonus, I dropped inches faster and got to eat more food while losing weight at the same rate. But strictly speaking, exercise is not required for weightloss.
  • muchmoretolove
    muchmoretolove Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    yes you can; i've lost 17 lbs over the last two months just eating healthily and simply 'not getting round to' exercising! eek, i know it's not ideal and i am going to start exercising from tomorrow! : ) but yes i can guarantee it, if you cut calories, you will lose weight. simples. : )
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    You only need caloric deficit to lose weight.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Yes.