Lifting while losing, what are the benefits?

Options
2»

Replies

• MariaChele85
    MariaChele85 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Feeling strong and being able to lift more weight than the man next to you. Changing your body shape and being able to pig out one day and not worry about gaining weight the next day or feeling like your whole "diet" just went out the window.
  • snowfox1
    snowfox1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    bump
  • fvincentelli
    fvincentelli Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The body does not work in black and white. Generally speaking, whenever your calorie intake is insufficient, your body taps into your muscle tissue to generate glucose to feed your brain; it also taps into your fat reserves to get the energy with which it can rebuild your muscles. When you do cardio exercises, your muscles suffer relatively little damage; as long as they can do what you are asking them to do, the body will gladly sacrifice muscle tissue to save energy, as it does not know when the next meal will come (your brain may know, but your metabolic processes do not).

When you lift, and particularly when you lift heavy and to temporary muscular failure, you damage your muscles more significantly, causing what is known as 'micro tears'. Your body will still tap into your muscle tissue to generate glucose and feed your brain, but now it has to repair its damaged muscles, which a) requires some extra calories and therefore burns some additional fat and b) grows your muscles.

The net result is that if you diet without exercise, you will lose significant amounts of body fat and muscle tissue; if you follow a cardio-only exercise program, you will lose a slightly higher proportion of fat, but will still likely lose some muscle mass (particularly if you opt for long, low intensity cardio such as walking at moderate speeds or using a stationary bike at low resistance/speed levels). If you follow a training regime with at least some weight training, you may be able to significantly slow down, completely stop or even reverse muscle mass loss.

The best approach will vary with each person, as multiple factors are at play - gender, age and general fitness level; as always it's best to consult a physician or a fitness instructor/coach, particularly if you are not used to exercising. That said, judicious use of weights training should increase the speed with which you lose weight, and make you feel better - as you get stronger, your metabolic rate increases and you lose faster, but also your body simply feels better and more energetic.

I've been doing this for 15 months now and will never go back!

Good luck.
  • pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    For me, I reached the law of dimishing returns in terms of fat loss after 6 months with cardio only. Mix the two together and it's very effective. Notice I said fat loss, not weight loss. Body composition is what you should be aiming for.

Besides my own vanity, and the fact that I honestly enjoy lifting...I see a lot of people who are older than me with problems that could be prevented, or delayed at the very least, if they had engaged in some sort of strength training.

Thanks for this. It is actually the fat loss I am most concerned with. Having gained and lost many times over during my life and been skinny fat during all my lower weight times made me realize its losing the fat that more important then the weight. I tend to forget that, thanks for the reminder.
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    A firm *kitten*.
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I didn't start growing until I started eating.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    LOL sorry neuromuscular adaptation?

It means gaining strength not by gaining muscle, but by your central nervous system becoming more efficient at recruiting muscle fibers.

I think you just answered a question for me - why a person can gain a measure of strength without growing in muscle mass. I always said that muscles have a maximum potential which has to be reached before growth can commence, now I have a better understanding of why, so thank you: :drinker:
  • trishaseren
    trishaseren Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I love lifting weights, I feel stronger, I feel like I have more energy, I feel more confident and I look so much better in my clothes (and without!) People ask me what I do to work out and I say mixture of cardio and weights, you can almost see their mind going straight to if I do weights I'll look like a man. Well I've done weights for six years and I most certainly do not look like a man.