Having trouble adjusting/eating for better mental health?

Options
I really need help.

It's been six months since I started my new job and I'm still struggling to adjust.

I've been on myfitnesspal for almost two years and I've managed to keep most of the weight off but I'm concerned that if I don't find a way to adjust soon, I'll gain more weight.

I work about 45 min to an hour away (depending on traffic) and my hours are 4pm-midnight.

Some days though, I have to do split days or come in early or make phone calls from home most of the morning and I usually don't get much notice. It's happened a lot where I was all set to go to the gym but then was called in and had to cancel my plans.

There also aren't any 24 hour gyms near me but from what I've read, it's better to come home and go to sleep as soon as possible when working an odd shift. I try to go to bed by 2 and wake up at 10.

And because I usually come home and go to sleep within an hour or two, I don't have much time to myself so I usually like to spend my mornings before work running errands or relaxing.

My job is also very stressful and at times I find myself suffering from depression or anxiety. And the fact that I can't seem to get back into the swing of things puts more pressure on me and I get more upset. I'm trying to work towards a schedule where I work out Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays but some days I feel so depressed or stressed that I just want to relax so ill be able to perform at work and be able to stay awake until midnight so that I'll be ok to drive home.

I'm sure I come off sounding very whiny and its a simple "stop making excuses and just do it." But I feel like everything is working against me and I don't know where to start to put all the pieces back together

What I'm looking for is support or anyone who knows of some good foods to eat that may help with my mental health. I just want to be healthy and my job really works against me. I've lost my entire social life and rarely see my family or boyfriend. I don't want to quit but I don't want to lose my health or my loved ones because I'm working all the time.

Any advice or help is very welcome.

Thanks for reading.

Replies

• dancingnancies
    dancingnancies Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    hey,
    eating good clean foods def. helps w anxiety and depression. i know when i eat too much crap i feel awful. maybe pack your lunches/dinners the night before so that you have good foods ready for the next day.

what about working out when you get home from work? i know it will be late but at least you can get your workout in and dont have to be stressed about it. the working out will also help w the anxiety/depression. you could do a jillian video or run?

also, i know i feelm best when i am on a schedule. i would try to stick to one as much as possible.

hope this helps!!!
    let me know if you want to talk.

xo, b
  • Odiliawine
    Odiliawine Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I'm actually in a fairly similar boat, working from 2:30-11 most days. The best thing I can think of is actually getting your workout in before you go to work and after running errands. It seems ridiculous because I always thought that I would go to work even more tired than normal. For the first few days it was like that, but then the workout itself gave me more energy. It'll take a bit to get there, but getting it in before work feels great and helps me be more productive at work.

Hope this helps!
  • Mybetterme
    Mybetterme Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I know this isn't helpful advice. But I feel much the same. I work 12 hr shifts so when I get exhausted I eat more and worse to feel better. I hope u find balance.
  • lisalocum
    Options
    Bananas and milk both contain ingredients that form precursors to the neurotransmitters your brain needs to create elevated mood. There is science out there to support this in vitro, if not necessarily clinically, but it is worth a go!
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I've been on a similar schedule in the past. Best thing for me was to do shorter work outs more often OR do longer work outs less often depending on what better suits you.

If it's the shorter ones, do a quick circut for a 1/2 hour go shower go to work.

If it's a longer one, you can take your time and do what you need to do. Cover full body.

If that's even too much, get some videos and do them first thing when you wake up in the am before doing anything else (well, have a fruit to get SOME energy) and work your *kitten* off. That way, you're totally energized, no reason to feel depressed or anxious when you feel good about getting some exercise and you're ready to take on the day. Beach body videos, I find, to be awesome. I'm trying to get my hands on Insanity again since my idiot roommate lost the dvd's :/

Good luck!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Second shift is the worst.
  • beduffbrickie
    beduffbrickie Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    OP I know how you feel, I have been there and to some degree still deal with it now and then, I find a diet high in omega 3- e.g eggs, salmon, nuts etc helps with depression, and so does exercising out doors in the sunshine, even if it is a fast walk.

When I felt depressed, no force on earth would get me off the sofa, I had no motivation. Reading inspirational stories helps to get you moving again. It will take time to adjust, and each day is a new day, so if you dont feel like doing something on one day, so what, dont be so hard on your self, remember small steps.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I have resolved most of my health issues by changing what I eat. I had severe depression, anxiety, and while I haven't gotten rid of PTSD, it bothers me MUCH less. ALL of my physical health issues have been resolved by changing my diet. If you are interested, explore "paleo" or "primal" philosophies. I don't follow any one way 100% (I eat very low carb too) but the old adage "we are what we eat" has been proven true in my case. The real key to success of my diet plan is HIGH FAT (healthy fats, which include natural saturated fats!).

Oh, and before you say "it takes too long to prepare healthy food". Not true. It just depends on what one wants to eat. The cook book Well Fed gives some great advice on how to handle the food prep issue, ie a weekly cook up. I often just eat a piece of meat and salad and that takes very little time. I'm a working, single mom so I understand the time issue well.
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    What about a once a week boot camp or intensive class then a few days of push-ups/squats/plank/burpies/jump squats/you get the idea etc at home? I promise you that a 15 mins non-stop routine of those things will kick your butt everytime.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Good advice so far. My solution was to quit the job that was sucking the life out of me, so maybe you could start looking for work closer to home and with hours you can live with. At least you'll feel that you are taking back a little control of your life.

If you can take a fast walk during a break that will help a lot. Even 50 jumping jacks will relieve lots of stress. You could also buy a few exercise videos to do at home.

Also make sure you are getting the right nutrients in your meals - if you have to take a supplement or protein powder because you are so busy - it is worth it. Food and exercise are the best mood stabalizers. Sugar and caffeine make things worse, and too much alcohol can lead to depression, too. I have to have my eight hours of sleep and lots of water to stay on an even keel, too.

Good luck. I know you will figure this out.
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    When I am stressed out, these things help to keep my mood stable:

1. Make sure you eat your meals the same time every day. Avoid high carb and processed foods as much as possible.
    2. Keep wakeup and bedtimes consistent.
    3. Eat a healthy snack when your energy seems to dip.
    4. Stay hydrated. Keep away from the caffeine.
    5. At least, take a short walk.

It sounds rigid, but at least, for me, it makes the stress more bearable.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Good advice so far. My solution was to quit the job that was sucking the life out of me, so maybe you could start looking for work closer to home and with hours you can live with. At least you'll feel that you are taking back a little control of your life.

I totally agree with this. It sounds like this job isn't adding much to your quality of life. I understand that jobs are hard to come by in this economy, and it isn't as simple as quitting, but my advice is to put some energy into finding a job that works better for you.
  • gooberr4
    gooberr4 Posts: 253 Member
    Options

I totally agree with this. It sounds like this job isn't adding much to your quality of life. I understand that jobs are hard to come by in this economy, and it isn't as simple as quitting, but my advice is to put some energy into finding a job that works better for you.

If this was any other instance, I would. But I actually have worked hard to get this job. I'm trying to hold out until they move me to day shift.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    You have my dream schedule! I love working second shift, it works best with my body clock. I'm working 8-6(ish) M-F right now and feel like I am constantly rushed to either get to work or to get home from work so I can eat and go to bed.

I know, I'm not being very helpful. Maybe we can trade jobs for a week?:smile:
  • gooberr4
    gooberr4 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    You have my dream schedule! I love working second shift, it works best with my body clock. I'm working 8-6(ish) M-F right now and feel like I am constantly rushed to either get to work or to get home from work so I can eat and go to bed.

I know, I'm not being very helpful. Maybe we can trade jobs for a week?:smile:

What was ur schedule like when u worked second shift?
  • cheechamia
    Options
    I suffered from depression/anxiety in my 20's and it even hit me in my 30's. Much of it was due to not being able to handle stressful situations and keeping it in. I can honestly say I didn't get rid of it with exercise and food...but with God. After much prayer I then had to renew my mind...look at things and people differently...not easy for a tempermental woman...lol...but I had to change AND I had to learn how to deal with problems and stress. Fast forward to my 30's...it hit again when I had a stressful job...worked for a nonprofit agency that I loved but I was wearing about 5 hats and 3 that I had never done before. My job ended at 4pm but never got out of work till 6pm or so and I was on call during the night many times for disaster services. My first week in this job (worked for the agency for 10 years but in different States) and I laid on my bed at the end of the week shaking from the stress...crazzzzzzzzzy! After 6 months or so of the stress I landed in the hospital with a panic attack thinking it was heart attack. Not to mention my husband got deployed to Iraq so I had that and a 14 year old to take care of. Turned to God again and changed my ways and began working out and got past it once again.

Sometimes we think we make the right decisions in our careers but we really have to look at that decision and really consider whether it was the right one or not. Your job is draining you. You are stressed, depressed, and have no time to do what you want or need to do. I've been in that situation several times. Maybe it's a job you like but what about your mental state? Jobs are hard to find now a days for sure...so is there any other activities you are doing that you can cut? You need time for yourself...at least an hour.

As for food...yes as someone else said...prepare it the night before (or whenever you can)...I added more fruits and vegetables to my diet (and that's hard for me). If you can prepare a healthy meal one day you have off and be able to take it with you the next few days that would be good. Keep ziploc bags of vegetables you can grab in the fridge for when you go out the door. I would keep a small plastic tote (very small) in the car and fill it with ziploc bags for nuts, healthy trailmix, etc. So you will always have something and not splurge on a whim. I use to be a carboholic and it drained me...was always tired. Changed my ways of eating and removed alot of stuff from my diet...just started eating better. Every so often I go on a Daniel Fast (for Christians it has to do with Daniel in the Bible). It's fruits, vegetables, water, no additives, preservatives, etc (just look it up). I do it for about 3 weeks and it's amazing how much better I fell and cleaned out.

Exercise...that can be hard when you have no time...when you do errands, park farther away. Invest in a treadmill (you can have mine...just gathering dust beside me...hahaha...on second thought...I need to use it :tongue: ). Wish I could tell you more but I'm still working on that one!

Believe me I know how you feel...sometimes I still go through it...where I go to work it's almost an hour away.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

If this was any other instance, I would. But I actually have worked hard to get this job. I'm trying to hold out until they move me to day shift.

I know that when I worked second shift, I would come home fairly wired and stay up way too late watching TV, which made for a very unproductive morning. Could you do a quick workout when you get home and sleep a little later in the mornings?

Also, make sure you are planning healthy meals ahead of time. When I worked 3-11s, I ate a ton of fast food and junk. That shift is just not very conducive to living a healthy and productive life. Try to plan healthy meals, take your lunches, and do a workout when you get home, even if it's a yoga DVD.

Good luck. I understand that sometimes you have to put in your time to move up in your career. I'm working and going to school right now so I'll have an even better job 5 years from now. Sometimes you just have to do the best you can and keep the end result in mind.