How do I tighten up the jiggly stuff???

Options
Hi there. I have lost 23 pounds off of my 5'4" frame in two and a half months. I've got about 15-20 more I'd like to make go away. I've lost this weight before (over and over and over...) but never this fast. What it's left behind this time is a pair of saggy, half empty (they weren't large to begin with) "girls" and what seems like half empty jiggly arm and stomach skin. I am 43 years old so I realize some of this isn't just going to "tighten up" on it's own. Surgery is not an option (and seems extreme in my current circumstances).

Specifically what workouts do I do to fix this stuff? I'm not doing any strength training at all at this point (and not taking the world by storm with cardio either - my weight loss is largely from improved eating habits).

Oh, and please be kind. I realize there are folks with WAY bigger issues to deal with, but I just thought some of you might have some workout tips to help me out.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Start strength training, it will help a lot!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Two things, a small calorie deficit (figure out your TDEE and cut 20% or set your account to 1/2 lb per week and eat back 50% of your exercise calories) and a lot of heavy weight training. Also, you can adjust your macro's to 35% carbs, 40% protein and 25% fats. This will help maintain your lean body mass. Losing quickly equals muscle loss. Which is why you end up losing, gaining, losing, gain, etc...
  • AEFidgets
    Options
    Strength training. The more muscle tone you have the better your skin will "fit"
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Strength training will def help - check out New Rules of lifting for Women, Starting Strength and Stronglifts 5x 5. I do a wee mishmash of these.

Also try exfoiliating and massage for your skin. I have a pair of scrubby gloves (£1) that are great and you can pick up massages on groupon, kgb etc for buttons. :)
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I figured strength training, but what specifically? I don't really even know where to start. Should I be doing pushups, or lifting weights or???? Crunches? Lunges? I seriously haven't a clue where to start. Especially with the mudslide on my chest if ya know what I mean...
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Start strength training, it will help a lot!

This!

There is no real way to "spot train", but if you begin lifting you'll be amazed at how your body tightens itself up!
  • TheCaren
    Options
    Strength training will def help - check out New Rules of lifting for Women, Starting Strength and Stronglifts 5x 5. I do a wee mishmash of these.

Also try exfoiliating and massage for your skin. I have a pair of scrubby gloves (£1) that are great and you can pick up massages on groupon, kgb etc for buttons. :)

I'll check that out. Thanks!
  • TheCaren
    Options
    Two things, a small calorie deficit (figure out your TDEE and cut 20% or set your account to 1/2 lb per week and eat back 50% of your exercise calories) and a lot of heavy weight training. Also, you can adjust your macro's to 35% carbs, 40% protein and 25% fats. This will help maintain your lean body mass. Losing quickly equals muscle loss. Which is why you end up losing, gaining, losing, gain, etc...

Okay. Sounds like I need to take another look at my eating habits. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I figured strength training, but what specifically? I don't really even know where to start. Should I be doing pushups, or lifting weights or???? Crunches? Lunges? I seriously haven't a clue where to start. Especially with the mudslide on my chest if ya know what I mean...

Weight training of any short. And go heavy (limiting reps to 10 reps or less) as its best for strength gains. If you workout at a gym, then strong lift 5x5 or NROLFW are a good way. If you workout at home, then programs like P90X or chalean extreme are good (personal experience) or you can use youtube or www.bodyrock.tv.
  • know_your_worth
    know_your_worth Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    For me, cardio is doing the trick!

I've lost weight before by cutting calories, but I noticed the "jiggly stuff" then.
    Now, I'm hitting the gym 2-5 times a week (depending ha) and it helps a lot. Just been doing the elliptical and treadmil, and that managed to tone my legs well, tighten my stomach and arms. I'm a little surprised since that's all I'm doing, but it works.

So I recommend just getting a few good workouts in when you can and see if you notice a change.
  • TheCaren
    Options

Weight training of any short. And go heavy (limiting reps to 10 reps or less) as its best for strength gains. If you workout at a gym, then strong lift 5x5 or NROLFW are a good way. If you workout at home, then programs like P90X or chalean extreme are good (personal experience) or you can use youtube or www.bodyrock.tv.

Okay. I'll start checking some of this out. Thanks.
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    45 year old female here. First, strength training may help fill out a bit of the excess skin, as well as tightening up jiggle due to lax muscles. Secondly, the skin may contract a bit over time. Third, be ready to accept that past a certain point you're going to have extra skin. It's better than being fat, right?
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Yep strength training is your best bet.

I am 56 and have the same problem

Lifting heavy won't cure it all but it certainly helped perk the girls up by strengthening my pecs and if you pump up your biceps and triceps the bingo wings will be less jiggley. My back fat has really come down and my inner thighs have seen a huge improvement.

Still a work in progress and at my age will never be perfect but oh my god how much better than being fat.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • photojunkie28
    Options
    Absolutely strength training. Get yourself some dumbells (A weight at which you really have to work to get 10 reps and 3 sets)
    Make google your best friend (aside from MFP of course) and start searching routines. The order of which you do things, proper form and all of that counts so do your homework. Toss in a few pushups and a handful of planks in there, stir and repeat for several weeks and poof! You've got half the battle down it sounds like with the eating habbits, now bring it home :)
  • TheCaren
    Options
    45 year old female here. First, strength training may help fill out a bit of the excess skin, as well as tightening up jiggle due to lax muscles. Secondly, the skin may contract a bit over time. Third, be ready to accept that past a certain point you're going to have extra skin. It's better than being fat, right?

Way better than being fat! LOL And nobody sees that jiggly business, for the most part, besides me and my hubby.

I am looking for (and have gotten some ideas above) specific strength training suggestions because I don't know specifically what I should be doing to target these areas. Any suggestions?
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options

Way better than being fat! LOL And nobody sees that jiggly business, for the most part, besides me and my hubby.

I am looking for (and have gotten some ideas above) specific strength training suggestions because I don't know specifically what I should be doing to target these areas. Any suggestions?
    Arms, dumbells. Curls, side lifts (arms out to the side, lift to shoulder height), pull ups (arms pull the weights up, staying close to the body) for arms.
    For midbody the usual crunches and sit ups.
    For legs and backside, squats (if your knees can take that). If you've got access to a stationary bike, set the resistance up higher and use it.
    I'm sure others will have ideas too. :wink:
  • TheCaren
    Options
    Bump
  • Taimarra
    Options
    and not taking the world by storm with cardio either

First, I just gotta say ... ^^^^ That made me smile and pretty much made my day. I love the way you worded it :D

Second .. yes yes yes to strength training. I have a lot more to lose than you did, but even for me (and we're only a few years apart) I'm already seeing a difference, especially in my arms. My "bat wings" are starting to tighten up and disappear after about 1.5 months.
  • goody2shews
    goody2shews Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Everyone's body is a little different. I think my entire family carries thier weight in the same place even if it is 5 extra lbs or 55 extra lbs. I have had a physical therapist for more years than I can count. What everyone has said is the way to go. Strength training and reps with your arms is great. I believe in massage for your skin and a ton of water.

The one think that I have a different opinion on is situps. Sit ups are the worst exercise for your stomach. They work your muscle that runs down the back of your butt and back of your theigh the most. Of course it is horrible for you back as well. I have been taught to do them standig up. Elbow to opposite knee while pinning your belly button to your back bone.

That being said I have a standing bet with my hubby if I reach my goal weight I'm going to Atlanta for some " lifting" lol
  • phoebeleb
    phoebeleb Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    bump