Running Time Question

Options
Ok, so here is the story, my sister has really started to become athletic in the past year. She ran a 5k this summer and had a time around 45 min. We then ran a 5k on thanksgiving together and she shaved about 4 minutes off her time. What is a reasonable expectation for shaving off time? 1 minute a month, running 3 days a week? What sort of training program would you do to get better? I wouldn't call myself a runner, I don't train for the 5ks I run in. I just push myself harder to make my time better. She kinda has a racing bug now and wanted to know what a reasonable expectation was. Thanks for any advice/tips.

- JoAnna

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Improvement for new runners will be swift on any type of training for the first few months and then it will slow down. Exactly how much one can improve in those first months is impossible to say but it can be dramatic.

After the new runner improvement phase is past the way to continue improvement is to run more. For reference, someone wishing to contimually improve for 5k racing ought to be running a minimum of 25 to 30 miles a week with one of those weekly runs being 90 min to 2 hrs in duration.

Consistent and cumulative miles at aerobic pace over time will lead to contiual improvement. The more miles the better as long as your training load does not exceed your body's ability to adapt from the running.
  • baxgilter
    baxgilter Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Any other input?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Scott pretty much nailed it.

There are so many variables involved that it's hard to make generalizations. I went from 39:08 (Sep 09) to 28:49 (May 10) to 26:45 (Sep 10) but my time last year was 26:07 - very noticeable improvement early on but sower progression afterward. I should also add that my focus has been on longer distances for the last two years.

It's different for everybody but kudos to her for catching the bug!
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    The other thing that will improve your time is losing weight, if she has any to lose. For example- on a 5k, if she did it in 41 mins, and weighs 150 lbs, if she lost 10 lbs, without anything else changing (same fitness, weather, course, etc), she could shave another 2 mins off that 5 k at the same effort.
  • TetesLorraine
    TetesLorraine Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Focus should probably be on shaving time off her/your PACE, not your time. The former is much easier than the latter!

Shaving 4 minutes of her time is great! Good improvement for that time period, IMO. There is really no rule of thumb for how long it should ake to improve one's time or how long it will take to get faster because there are too many factors involved; weather, hills,
    etc etc. For example, my runs in the fall are always faster than summer because of the heat, for one thing.

Most runners would advise one to focus on building up your mileage first, rather than speed, in the beginning. For beginning runners, say running for 6 months or less, give yourself a year, maybe less, to build your running mileage, and then you can work on dropping time off your PACE, not your TIME, two very different things! Even if you just work on building mileage only, your pace will most likely improve.

A training program that includes speed work i.e. interval runs and tempo runs would help improve pace. Check out runnersworld online or halhigdon.com for some free running programs to improve speed.

25710551.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Improvement for new runners will be swift on any type of training for the first few months and then it will slow down. Exactly how much one can improve in those first months is impossible to say but it can be dramatic.

After the new runner improvement phase is past the way to continue improvement is to run more. For reference, someone wishing to contimually improve for 5k racing ought to be running a minimum of 25 to 30 miles a week with one of those weekly runs being 90 min to 2 hrs in duration.

Consistent and cumulative miles at aerobic pace over time will lead to contiual improvement. The more miles the better as long as your training load does not exceed your body's ability to adapt from the running.

Why would somebody need to run that much for just 5k? I can see why for 10 mile races or half marathons, but 5k is only just over 3 miles and to run for 90 mins to 2 hours on one of those runs per week is excessive and really not necessary.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options

Why would somebody need to run that much for just 5k? I can see why for 10 mile races or half marathons, but 5k is only just over 3 miles and to run for 90 mins to 2 hours on one of those runs per week is excessive and really not necessary.
    Running a 5k is primarily aerobic. To maximally build aerobic capacity requires regular runs of 90 min to 2 hrs. That length of time is necessary to get the desired training effect.

One can certainly run a 5k on less training but they will be running much more slowly than they could if they trained optimally.
  • dsmrunner
    dsmrunner Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm with Lorraine. Suggesting new runners run 25-30 miles/week is probably unrealistic in most cases, and asking for an injury. My take was that the OP was just looking to improve, not turn into an age group competitor.

If that's the case, working to improve pace is the first thing, then increase mileage gradually.

To do this, a person can reach this goal by doing 3 quality runs a week, and cross training (riding a bike, swimming, weights, etc). twice a week. The runs need to be higher intensity (intervals and a tempo run) for say 30 minutes each, plus a slower, longer run of around an hour. If a new runner is just looking to improve their 5K time, the long run doesn't have to be anything more than 5 or 6 miles, IMO.

This is the same concept as the Furman University FAST plan.

If they want to be an age group champ, that's something completely different.
  • RunnerInVT
    RunnerInVT Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I used to run 5ks. I improved quickly that first year but rarely ran more than 4 miles at a time. Then I began training for half marathons. Wow! 3 miles is nothing! I love that feeling! The guys are right get lots of mileage in for aerobic fitness, then do sprints and hills. It'll help you avoid injury too.
    Im training for a full marathon so I need distance but will go back to 5 ks after because I want to win my age group. (The first place is 21 minutes....it will take a ton of sprinting and always one long run a week in there.)
    I have books on running and Runners World, Running Times and Women's Running magazines. I get fanatic about types of weekly runs and how long to run and times ran. Hal Higdon is good but he doesnt require enough mileage for his half marathon program.
    Run lots run fast dont be afraid to go all out until your legs are jelly!! Thats how you improve. Be obsessive but at the right time...I peaked too soon before a race and didnt do as well as I hoped. Live and learn. :)
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    It is not necessary to run that much just to FINISH a 5K-- but to optimize your speed, it is absolutely not excessive. It just depends what your goals are. I regularly run twice that amount per week in preparation for the 5K.

the 5K is an endurance run, so the more endurance work you do, the better you will be at that distance.
  • ixap
    Options
    I'm with Lorraine. Suggesting new runners run 25-30 miles/week is probably unrealistic in most cases, and asking for an injury. My take was that the OP was just looking to improve, not turn into an age group competitor.

If that's the case, working to improve pace is the first thing, then increase mileage gradually.
    To be clear, I wouldn't suggest suddenly jumping to 30 miles per week from nothing -- this is something to build up to gradually to avoid injuries. However I really don't think 25-30 miles per week is that unusual for the recreational runner - an hour every other day during the week and a long run on the weekends. And to be honest I don't think that's enough mileage to be an age group competitor unless you're blessed with tons of natural talent. I need to do 40-60 miles per week to stay competitive in my age group, like top 10 for the bigger races, I only win my age group in the really teeny tiny ones. I know that the top 1 or 2 are doing even more than that, and in our area we have a pretty small scene.

I would also point out that the most tried and true approach to improvement in running is to increase mileage FIRST, and let the pace improvements follow. I find that the speed workouts are my biggest injury risk, not the distance (unless making the jump to big distances too fast).
  • ixap
    Options
    I used to run 5ks. I improved quickly that first year but rarely ran more than 4 miles at a time. Then I began training for half marathons. Wow! 3 miles is nothing! I love that feeling!
    You will feel SO great when you go back to 5K. There is nothing like going to the start line knowing that you could run double or triple or quadruple the race distance no problem right then and there -- it gives you so much better control of your pacing for the race when the distance itself is no longer a concern.
  • miche_smash
    miche_smash Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I am new to running- just did my first 5K in August with another coming up in January. Thought I'd pass along this article:

http://m.active.com/running/Articles/How-to-Double-Your-Endurance-in-6-Weeks

I'm in week 5 now and have really noticed an improvement in my speed as well as endurance. Since other people are suggesting increasing mileage in order to increase speed, well, this is a good way to get started!

Here's the program at a quick glance:

Week ONE:
    Maintenance (Miles) - 3.5
    Fartlek (Miles) - 3
    Long Run (Miles) - 4

Week TWO:
    Maintenance (Miles) - 4
    Fartlek (Miles) - 3.25
    Long Run (Miles) - 5

Week THREE:
    Maintenance (Miles) - 4
    Fartlek (Miles) - 3
    Long Run (Miles) - 4

Week FOUR:
    Maintenance (Miles) - 5
    Fartlek (Miles) - 3.5
    Long Run (Miles) - 6

Week FIVE:
    Maintenance (Miles) - 5.5
    Fartlek (Miles) - 3
    Long Run (Miles) - 4

Week SIX:
    Maintenance (Miles) - 6
    Fartlek (Miles) - 3.5
    Long Run (Miles) - 7
  • CamillaBeaumont
    CamillaBeaumont Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I am also a beginning runner. Should I only be running every other day? Outside I am going 2-3 miles and it takes me 20-30 minutes (depending on the route). I don't want to over do things, not training for a race or anything just getting exercise.
  • ixap
    Options
    Every other day is good in the beginning. Just add on gradually. Eventually you can add consecutive days when you feel ready and if you want to!
  • CamillaBeaumont
    CamillaBeaumont Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Right now I don't have any particular days scheduled, my outside runs are kind of weather dependent so I go on consecutive days when the weather and my schedule allow.
  • ixap
    Options
    I'm sure that's fine too. You just don't want to suddenly go from nothing to 4 days in a row when you're new.
  • TetesLorraine
    TetesLorraine Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I think that was Di3012. :) Hehe
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I think that was Di3012. :) Hehe
    Eh? What was lol?