Hard Boiled Eggs

Options
Forgive my noobie question,

I am wanting to hard boil some eggs to have a nice snack. I understand that the yoke is where all of the fat is, however is there also anything good to have in the yoke that would warrant the extra calories? Is the Egg whites the best? Thanks for the input

Replies

• BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    There's all sorts of nutrients in the yolk. Have at it. I've never understood the "no yolk" crowd.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    almost all of the nutrients are in the yolk, eat it, it is good for you!!!
  • babeinthemoon
    babeinthemoon Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Love hard boiled eggs. The only part I don't eat is the shell. :laugh:

Seriously though, your body needs some "good" fat intake. So, for me, I try to limit the amount of oil/fat I use for cooking, and I also limit the amount of processed foods I eat. This keeps my "fat" intake low enough that I don't care about eating beef ocassionally, or even those pesky "fatty" egg yokes.

The yoke isn't just fat, it has protein too... so it isn't all bad.

Hope my totally non-scientific opinion helps!
  • Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    It won't be a nice snack if you skip the yolk!,
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Eggs are low calorie and nutritious as well as delicious. We need fats. Don't skip the yolks!
  • RubyRed8067
    Options
    The whole egg is good for you. I can't have the yolks b/c of the cholesterol :sad: ...they are indeed the best part of the egg! :smile:
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Have at it if it fits in your calorie goals.
    I don't eat hard boiled eggs, but for omelettes and scrambled eggs right now I usually have a mix of whole eggs and egg whites, that way I can eat a little more with less calories as I am cutting. When I am maintaining or bulking I will be having lots of whole eggs. Nothing wrong with them as long as they fit in your calorie goal.
  • keelz2010
    Options
    I love boiled eggs in a pitta with salad. I usually have them with the yoke but if now I'm getting rid of the yolk so I can have a bit of ham with it instead. It's up to you, sometimes have it with and if you only have a few cals left have it without.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Everything in the yolk is good, eat the damn egg and enjoy!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    The whole egg is good for you. I can't have the yolks b/c of the cholesterol :sad: ...they are indeed the best part of the egg! :smile:

Only a tiny part of dietary cholesterol makes it into your serum.
  • ShiraDarling
    ShiraDarling Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have at least 6 eggs a day, and so I skip the yolk. That would be way too much cholesterol , and too many calories.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    All the iron is in the yolk. I ha e a hard time getting enough iron in my diet. I always eat the yolk.
  • houseofcorbin
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great insight
  • bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    What about the cholesterol ??
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    What about the cholesterol ??

My understanding is that although eggs have cholesterol, they dont contribute to high cholesterol in our bodies.

I eat eggs as well, and will sometimes keep a few hardboiled eggs in the fridge for a snack.
  • Waszo
    Waszo Posts: 41
    Options
    I eat two eggs a day, so enjoy a near perfect food.
  • kat5556
    kat5556 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Depends if you have a problem with cholesterol. If you do you may want to limit the yolk. There are a lot of people that follow an old study saying you can eat all the eggs you want and not boost your cholesterol. I can tell you that it boosted mine big time. A friend of mine that always said it couldn't be the eggs just had her blood work done and was shocked how high hers was after eating 4-6 weekly.

For a breakdown of the nutrition - http://www.fitsugar.com/Egg-White-Vs-Egg-Yolk-Which-Better-364527
  • RitaSantoss
    RitaSantoss Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    If I eat eggs, I eat the whole damn thing.
  • raysouth88
    Options
    The only time that I skip the yolks if I'm doing an omelet. Otherwise, I eat the entire egg when they are hard boiled.