Walking w/ Weights

Options
I was wanting to know if it was a good choice to use like 3 - 5 lb weights while I walk....Example is like I walk a mile everyday 5 - 6 days a week...and I was wondering if I go and buy like 5 lb hand weights and use them while I'm walking would that tone up my arms as I lose the weight???

And is so then what lbs should I get (2 lb, 3 lb, 5 lb)???

Thanks so much :)

Replies

• fearlessfatty
    fearlessfatty Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    as long as your arm movements are smooth it'll be a good choice but low weights - 2lb-3lb. strap-on weighted cuffs are a good idea because the weights are evenly distributed and the movemetns will be smoother.
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Yes, it will help to tone your arms.. And remember to keep your posture good, abs tight...:wink:
  • NewMe80xoxo
    NewMe80xoxo Posts: 172
    Options
    When you say smooth do you mean like moving my arms a little when I walk??? SOrry I'm lost when it comes to this kinda stuff!!!
  • dianesalmela
    dianesalmela Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use soft 1 lb. wrist/ankle wraparound weights for walking so my hands don't get tired. When I want more weight, I wrap secure a small barbell in the velcro.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Any strength or "toning" benefits will be minimal, if any. Strengthening a muscle requires that you work it to a state of momentary exhaustion in 8-12 repetitions. Waving around a small dumbbell hundreds of times during a walk is not going to provide the same stimulus--after an initial adaptation, there will be little or no further progress.
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Any strength or "toning" benefits will be minimal, if any. Strengthening a muscle requires that you work it to a state of momentary exhaustion in 8-12 repetitions. Waving around a small dumbbell hundreds of times during a walk is not going to provide the same stimulus--after an initial adaptation, there will be little or no further progress.

I totally agree with you, couldn't have said that better myself
  • Scoobees
    Scoobees Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I realize the original question was for toning benefits - and I totally agree that would be very minimal; my question is would these light hand weights lead to at least a bit more calorie burn? I rarely walk, but now that the weather is getting a bit nicer...:smile:
  • imagymrat
    Options
    I realize the original question was for toning benefits - and I totally agree that would be very minimal; my question is would these light hand weights lead to at least a bit more calorie burn? I rarely walk, but now that the weather is getting a bit nicer...:smile:

I think you'd be better off wearing a weighted vest and speeding up the pace, that will help you burn calories, this leaves your hands/arms free to really pump get them right up there, this would be a better alternative to actually carrying hand weights, the vest distributes the extra weight better then ankle weights, or wrist weights, which I find just odd to wear.
  • MattDustin
    MattDustin Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Honestly they might hurt your hands, I don't know about that exact weigh, but I do step-ups holding only 35lb dumbells, and after 8 reps my hands and wrists are pretty sore from holding so tight. I like the idea of wrist-wraps better, like everyone else said.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I agree that the muscle toning benefits will be minimal in what I've read. You might be better off doing some circuit training for strength training and, if you want to increase the burn on your walks, walk faster, walk farther, walk up hill and/or incorporate some sprinting drills.
  • NewMe80xoxo
    NewMe80xoxo Posts: 172
    Options
    Thanks so much yall for all of your advice...I aint wanting to do it to better my walk I wanna tone my arms while I lose weigh...They are flaby!!! Any tips?
  • imagymrat
    Options
    Here's how I introdue my new clients to weights...Beginners: Perform 1 sets of 12 to 16 repetitions,ultimately you want to lift heavier with lower rep for serious sculpting, but gotta start somewhere.

Chest/Bench Press
    Lie on a ball, bench or floor with abs contracted. Begin with weights straight up over chest, elbows slightly bent. Bend the elbows and lower arms until the elbows are just below shoulder level (arms should look like a goal post). Contract the chest and push arms up, but don't allow weights to touch at the top.

Push Ups
    Begin in a pushup position on the floor, hands wider than shoulders and resting on the knees or on a ball for added intensity. Bend elbows and lower into a pushup, elbows to 90 degrees and abs in tight. Don't sag in the middle. Push back to start and repeat.
    Push Ups
    OR
    Barbell Row
    Holding bar or weights in front of thighs, bend knees and tilt torso forward to about 45 degrees, abs in tight. Take the weight out, following line of thighs, then squeeze the back to draw weight in towards belly button. Avoid this move if you have back problems.

Back Extension
    Lie face down with hands either behind the back or lightly cradling the head. Lift upper body off the ground a few inches, keeping head and neck in alignment. For a challenge, then lift feet off the ground keeping legs straight (knees don't have to be together), hold for 2-4 counts, lower and repeat.

Overhead Press
    Sit or stand holding weights in hands, elbows bent and weights next to shoulders. Straighten elbows and push weights overhead, palms facing each other and slightly in front of head. Lower arms and repeat.

Front Raises
    Stand with feet hip-width apart, abs in and torso upright with medium weights resting in front of thighs (palms face the thighs). Lift arms to shoulder level, elbows slightly bent and palms facing the floor. Lower and repeat.

Concentration Curls
    Kneel or sit in a chair and prop right arm on the inside of right leg, weight in hand and palm facing out. Contract the bicep to pull weight towards the shoulder (without touching the shoulder). Lower and repeat.

Kickbacks
    Bend torso forward until you're at 45 degrees or parallel to the floor, elbows bent and next to ribcage. Contract triceps to straighten elbows, bringing weight up slightly above hips. Keep the abs tight and raise torso if this hurts your lower back or hamstrings.
    Kickbacks

Dips
    Begin sitting on a step or chair with hands next to thighs. Balance on your arms, moving backside in front of the step with legs straight (harder) or bent (easier). Bend the elbows and lower body a few inches, keeping the shoulders down and the elbows parallel to one another and at 90 degrees. Push back up to starting position and repeat.