Macro confusion!

Options
How do you work out what the right macros are for you? Mine are set to 55 carb 30fat 15protein but feel thats too many carbs for my fitness goals. is there a way I can edit the settings with the iphone app or just online?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    why do you feel its too many carbs for a fitness goal? generally you need more carbs for energy if you are focusing on fitness?
  • mfbonafide
    mfbonafide Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I wonder too what the numbers of carbs I should have. But it seems calorie deficit trumps all. Is this true ???
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    why do you feel its too many carbs for a fitness goal? generally you need more carbs for energy if you are focusing on fitness?

But for optimal body recomposition and sustainment of your lean body mass, you need more protein. Generally, the rule on macro's is 1g of protein per lb of lbm and .35g of fats per lb of lbm and the remainder in carbs. Generally, 35% carbs, 40% protein and 25% will accomplish this.

OP, go to home <-- goals<-- custom

BTW, the standard macro's are based on the US standard.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    It depends on your stats, activities and your personal preferences. Mine are 45%, 30%, 25%.

-First you need to find your TDEE and calculate your cut of 10- 20% depending on how much weight you have to lose. This will give you the number of calories you are needing to eat daily. My TDEE is @2050 and I have >50 to my goal weight so ideally I need to be loosing about 1.5 a week. I am on a 20% cut but I eat back exercise so my intake is going to be about 1650 before workouts.

IF you look at the 'conventional wisdom' which says that you should be eating @1gm of protein per lb of lean body mass then you need to figure out what that is. Check online for a lean body mass calculator like http://www.healthstatus.com/cgi-bin/calc/calculator.cgi For me, I'm 190lbs at 5'6 thus my lean mass is about 117. This means that I will need @ 117 x 4 = 468 total calories of protein. You multiply by 4 because each gram of protein is worth 4 calories, then divide by total calories and multiply by 100 = 28% for me (I round to 30%)

The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) suggests that about 30 to 35 percent of your daily calorie intake should come from fat - Mine is 25% because I have had my gallbladder removed and anything above that and I have issues, but its entirely up to you. Either way this will determine how much is leftover for carbohydrates. If you choose to eat "low carb" your fat will have to be higher, if "low fat" your carb will be higher - this is more of a personal choice - or a what works for you thing unless you have medical issues and HAVE to do one or the other.

Recommendations for carbohydrates range between 45 - 65% of your daily intake. Again this will depend on what works for you.. lower or higher based on your fat intake.

The easiest way to figure out the exact ratios will be to work out your TDEE, take the appropriate cut from that for your base calories. Figure out what % will be protein by dividing it by your calorie goal and multiplying by 100. From there set your carb / fat based on your 'plan' and tweak as needed. Each gram of fat /carb is worth 9 calories when you do the math.

Hope that helps.
  • Love2lift72
    Love2lift72 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    It depends on your stats, activities and your personal preferences. Mine are 45%, 30%, 25%.

-First you need to find your TDEE and calculate your cut of 10- 20% depending on how much weight you have to lose. This will give you the number of calories you are needing to eat daily. My TDEE is @2050 and I have >50 to my goal weight so ideally I need to be loosing about 1.5 a week. I am on a 20% cut but I eat back exercise so my intake is going to be about 1650 before workouts.

IF you look at the 'conventional wisdom' which says that you should be eating @1gm of protein per lb of lean body mass then you need to figure out what that is. Check online for a lean body mass calculator like http://www.healthstatus.com/cgi-bin/calc/calculator.cgi For me, I'm 190lbs at 5'6 thus my lean mass is about 117. This means that I will need @ 117 x 4 = 468 total calories of protein. You multiply by 4 because each gram of protein is worth 4 calories, then divide by total calories and multiply by 100 = 28% for me (I round to 30%)

The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) suggests that about 30 to 35 percent of your daily calorie intake should come from fat - Mine is 25% because I have had my gallbladder removed and anything above that and I have issues, but its entirely up to you. Either way this will determine how much is leftover for carbohydrates. If you choose to eat "low carb" your fat will have to be higher, if "low fat" your carb will be higher - this is more of a personal choice - or a what works for you thing unless you have medical issues and HAVE to do one or the other.

Recommendations for carbohydrates range between 45 - 65% of your daily intake. Again this will depend on what works for you.. lower or higher based on your fat intake.

The easiest way to figure out the exact ratios will be to work out your TDEE, take the appropriate cut from that for your base calories. Figure out what % will be protein by dividing it by your calorie goal and multiplying by 100. From there set your carb / fat based on your 'plan' and tweak as needed. Each gram of fat /carb is worth 9 calories when you do the math.

Hope that helps.

That is a very thorough explanation. Thanks for taking the time to answer.
  • FitnessBree__
    Options
    wow thanks this is awesome!! you're an angel haha