SUGAR! I need the truth!!

Options
Hi All,

I would really appreciate some honest feedback or advice on sugar.

How dangerous is sugar, in terms of weight loss, even when it's coming from fruits, natural yoghurt etc?

For example. What I had planned in my diary for today equals over 100g of sugar. The sugar comes from:

1 tbsp of jam
half a mango
100g pineapple
Chobani Greek Yoghurt
honey
banana
lite milk
sundried tomatoes

Is this a factor into what is holding my weight loss back? My calorie, fat, protein and carb macros are all in green - but sugar is ALWAYS red.

Please help! It's driving me insane that even without having any ice cream, chocolate, lollies etc...I am eating so much sugar. And I really love fruit, especially since it's nearly summer here in Aus and all the fruit is so good at the moment!

Replies

• 388gigi
    388gigi Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Feel free to look at my diary too :-)
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Simple carbs, if not burned off, are the first things turned into fat storage. Though, thanks to the laws of thermodynamics, if the calories are green you should lose weight. It does seem like a lot of sugar for one day though.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I am not a nutritionist, so I may not be 100% accurate, but I would THINK that as long as most of your sugar is coming from fruits and other natural sources, it shouldn't matter all that much. As long as you're eating at a calorie deficit and STICKING TO IT (no yo-yo-ing) you should lose weight, no matter the sugar.
  • LostinAcademia
    LostinAcademia Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am not a nutritionist, so I may not be 100% accurate, but I would THINK that as long as most of your sugar is coming from fruits and other natural sources, it shouldn't matter all that much. As long as you're eating at a calorie deficit and STICKING TO IT (no yo-yo-ing) you should lose weight, no matter the sugar.

I agree. You'll be fine if you keep eating like you are now with your current calorie deficit. I personally make an effort to avoid sugary foods like fruit and some dairy products in the morning simply because my body burns through the sugar pretty fast and I'm left with my stomach growling in the middle of class, but if you don't have that issue, no worries!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Simple carbs, if not burned off, are the first things turned into fat storage. Though, thanks to the laws of thermodynamics, if the calories are green you should lose weight. It does seem like a lot of sugar for one day though.

It's excess calories that go to fat storage, not simple carbs or any other food for that matter. Dietary fat is stored first and foremost, then carbs and only after their either used as immediate energy or stored as glycogen......protein is the least likely to be stored as adipose tissue, but again only when caloric needs are exceeded.
  • 2KMILLER
    2KMILLER Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've always heard it's the added sugars that are bad. Sorry for the over-simplification!! But, basically, if you're eating fruit, the benefits of the fruit generally outweigh the negatives of the sugar load. However, certain fruits (i.e., watermelon, my favorite) have a ton of sugar so watching your intake is important. Fruit juice and jam go on the "too much sugar, not enough nutrition" list. So, on your list, I'd cut out the jam and any flavored yogurt. Buy sugar-free jam (if you're not avoiding Splenda) and mix it with plain yogurt. Instant flavor, minimal added sugar. My weight loss guru brother-in-law drinks non-fat half & half instead of milk. That just seems too unnatural for me, but it certainly reduces sugar intake! As for having a weight loss plateau, if I keep my sugar grams at around 60 a day, that really seems to help restart weight loss. I simply stall if I'm getting too much sugar. If you want to find out what the "fruits to avoid" are, check out the glycemic indices. They have a wealth of info on this!
  • marciakate
    marciakate Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Simply avoid any processed sugars and you'll be safe as can be
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Natural sugars are okay! They are hanging out with nutrients, fibre and protein, when they are in their natural form and so they are absorbed in your body at a much better/slower rate. As opposed to straight sugar from candy - where it is just empty calories that don't fill you up or give you any benefit what-so-ever. This bad kind of refined sugar is also the kind that can give you diabetes.

As far as weight loss goes... in theory it shouldn't matter what your eating, if your calories are right you should lose weight. However the body is a little more complex then that... but when in doubt eat natural sugars (and natural food for that matter) and you will be alright :) Not too mention the quality of calories is what dictates how you FEEL!

I think you are okay :)

(disclaimer - I'm going through school for nutrition - but I'm still learning so I'm not an expert...YET :wink: )
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Also... just to add... watch out for all yogurt, it can be hiding a tonne of sugar! Try plain, it has significantly less :)