Beginners program.

Options
I'm beginning my fitness but I don't have the money for a gym membership or expensive equipment so I'm wanting to start with body weight training. So far I'm alternating between cardio on one day and the next I do strength then repeat.

My cardio days consist of 45-60 mins brisk walking. I've just started C25K today actually though which will replace my walks. For strength I'm in my third week of the 200 squats challenge, and in my first week of 100 push ups and 200 sit ups.

I'd like to add a program to my work outs, I was looking at P90X but it looks too advanced (and expensive) for me right now. I was wondering if anyone knows of any home work out videos that I can use to get fitter and leaner. I'd love a good pilates or yoga but I don't know where to start.

Replies

• erin4609
    erin4609 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Hey!

I don't really have a gym right now either, so I rely a lot on home workouts. There's a ton of good ones out there. Everytime you hear about a new dvd, google reviews for it.

If you want Pilates, You should definetely check out blogilates.com It's a pilates website with free videos, workout calanders, and meal plans! That sight is awesome! Her ab workouts are hands down some of the best i've ever done.

I've heard Bob Harper's dvds are good.

I do Insanity. That program is really good, but a little difficult. I bought a used set off of craigslist for $50

I have Jillian Michael's DVD, ripped in 30, which I think is ok. I think jillian just drives me a little crazy. I like Insanity better--but i've been working out for a while.

Also, fitnessista.com is another really good blog with free videos, workout calanders, and recipes.

Hope that helps! :)

Another good fitness blog for motivation/workouts/recipes is runsforcookies.com
  • Katherinesfitness
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks Erin! That's amazing. I'll look into it all, love the free pilates website suggestion hahaha
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred is really popular, cheap and effective.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    This is my workout I do at home. This is mainly the workout boxers do and as anyone who's seen a boxer will tell you, they have amazing bodies.

Cardio (1 or mix of these):
    -walking/jogging
    -Stationary Bike
    -Jumping ropes

Calisthenics with 2x25 lbs dumbells where appropriate(all of them with different sets)
    1)sit on floor with legs apart and back perpendicular to the floor and punch air moving the hand towards the opposite leg (making you move your back/ab) This works out your abs, back, your thighs, your hands and shoulders and creates practice for punching. Important for boxing
    2) lay on the floor raising your back up so that your back is resting on your elbows. Raise the legs a bit. Start air biking
    3) repeat (1)
    4) pushups
    5) While lightly jogging in one place, punch air straight ahead
    6)squats
    7)Jumping Jacks
    8windmill: spread legs, try to touch the opposite feet with your hands
    9) 4way: Jumping Jacks with pause when the arms are paralell to the ground.
    10)while standing, raise one leg so your thighs are parallel to the ground and try to touch your opposite knees with elbow

11) repeat (5)
    12) 2x rounds of shadow boxing
    13) Light weight lifting
    14)different crunches (regular, raise one leg, raise both legs up)

ETA: If you're looking for a workout DVD kinda thing, may I suggest Insanity instead. Zero equipment needed and it really is insane how hard it is but develop really fast and will learn to love it.

The important thing to remember is, learn what you like. If you like Jillian Micheals, do it. If you like Insanity, do it. If you like customized workouts (like mine), do it. If you like simply walking around your crib over and over in circles, do it. Pretty much any movement that YOU ENJOY is the best workout out there for you :)

Good luck
  • Katherinesfitness
    Options
    Thanks Jaz, Will do :)

Wow Taun, that's sick! Thank you. I've been wanting to take up jump rope, I keep meaning to buy one. I've got the perfect park on the way home from my walk/run to finish with some jump rope.

I'll have to buy a couple of hand weights and try out your routine.
  • meghannrenee
    meghannrenee Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hi!

A couple of Tony Horton's programs are on sale until 12 pm EST tonight - I've done Power 90 and found it to be effective, and I've done some of 10 Minute Trainer. Just ordered P90X :)

http://www.teambeachbody.com/shop/holidayoffer?referringRepId=188698

I also second the Jillian recommendations. She can get a little obnoxious if her style of motivation isn't your thing, but the workouts are good.

The Firm also puts out some decent ones - Their total body time crunch one is great, Get Chiseled is incredibly tough, Total Body Toner is pretty good, and the bootcamp one by Allison Davis is good too (can't remember the name and I lent it out to a friend)

Hope that helps!
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I just started a 30 Day Shred support group for December. It's a really great program! It's what I started out with.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/9873-30-day-shred-december-2012
  • chuckles9189
    chuckles9189 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Go to twohundredsquats.com and follow it! and then follow the links to the dips, crunches and push ups

GREAT STARTER. no equipment needed but your body :)
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Congrats on taking the biggest steps of your life to health!!

GAIAM has released several "5 Day Fit" releases that have 5 workouts on one DVD (they're usually 20-30 minutes each). The best one I've found that has yoga, pilates, a cardio burn & bodukon (yoga/martial arts/mediation), it's called Trouble Zone Solutions.

And don't laugh, but the classic FIRM DVD's still work. They've released some newer ones, on Amazon, you can order them for around $10-$12 with free shipping (min order $25, so get 2 DVD's & you're good). You don't have to use weights, they have a beginner modifier who doesn't use weights, but the workouts work. My fav is "Get Chisel'd" which works EVERYTHING, otherwise they have some mix DVD's that have shorter versions of 3 or 4 other DVD's so you can have a mix (one of them has a Pilates-style workout as well).

Tamilee Webb workouts still work - they're my fall-back fun workouts for when I feel I'm getting too serious & need to tone down the intensity.

And for the ever-free options, YouTube has a lot of ideas - granted they're not full length, but if you're creative, you can watch the moves, get ideas & do your own workouts (when we travel & I won't have access to a DVD player, I do my own workouts which my husband says can be insane!).
  • Squeeee
    Options
    Bump :smile: