Staying Motivated Alone

Options
Any tips for staying motivated by yourself? Family and friends aren't being very supportive. When I try to make healthy eating choices I am encouraged to "just eat a freaking burger and fries!" I was 271.2 lbs when I started (July) and am at 213 lbs now and I can't see the difference and nobody else has mentioned it either. I feel better now that I weigh less but I am really feeling defeated and loosing all motivation to keep working at getting healthy. So give me your best tips! Thanks!

Replies

• maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    One thing that has helped me is to have fitness goals. I would like to lose more weight, but, more importantly, I would like to get better at dancing, which is my main form of exercise. It's easier to motivate myself to exercise and eat healthy if I think about that goal rather than just my weight.

You should try taking pictures of yourself once a month or so. I take a side and front picture every month and it's really easy to see the difference between then and now. You can also look at mybodygallery.com if you don't have pictures of your own. You can see how much difference there is between sizes and it's often easier to be objective when you are looking at pictures of other people.

I'm not sure what to say about discouraging friends and family. My friends have been helpful in that they haven't acted like losing weight is the best thing that's every happened (which I would hate), but they'd never tell me to "just eat a freaking burger" (which I'd also hate). Though, it is O.K. to eat a burger and fries if YOU want one.
  • orangelobster
    Options
    You can also look at mybodygallery.com e.

Interesting site - I've never seen anything like this. I wish they had one for men.
  • wonderiss
    wonderiss Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks maricash! Fitness goal is a great idea. I sort of already have one but will make it more important. Can't do the pictures. Can't bring myself to look in a full size mirror! blech!
  • pen2u
    pen2u Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    There is no way a person can lose 60 lbs and have it not show. Have you read any posts on that topic? Hundreds of successful MFPers still look in the mirror and see their old, overweight selves looking back.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/397372-do-you-still-feel-fat-mentally-after-a-lot-of-weight-loss

You are not alone. It gets better. Do not let your unsupportive family derail your excellent progress! Do you hear me???

And I agree with the fitness goal. The rest will fall into place.
  • Hulk0511
    Hulk0511 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I made friends here on MFP and found myself coming here daily to give support and to log myself because I held myself accountable to my friends here and it has been awesome. Add me if you wish :)
  • wjniii
    wjniii Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    You are here so you are never alone in this weight loss journey. If your family will not support you (they should be ashamed of themselves) we will. No one noticed when I lost 30 lbs so I just started telling them .I am proud of it and I started acting like it. You should too. You are doing great!!
  • sophie_wr
    sophie_wr Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Hey
    first of all you lost 58 pounds and this is HUGE !!!!
    Dont you have pics from before/after, maybe you would see a difference?
  • TakinSexyBack
    TakinSexyBack Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I made friends here on MFP and found myself coming here daily to give support and to log myself because I held myself accountable to my friends here and it has been awesome. Add me if you wish :)
    Is one of my friends and I totally agree! SO much support here and I have met so many awesome people who have made me accountable b/c I want to keep up with them!!! :-)
  • stevensk09
    stevensk09 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you will have to motivate yourself. You are the one that has to live with your body, so making healthier choices will be good weather u are alone or not.
  • notmac
    notmac Posts: 89
    Options
    That is hard, when you don't have support from a friend or family member. Keep in mind that you are doing this for you. Hook up with some friends on this site, and let them encourage you. You seem to have done a awesome job so far, especially with no encouragement at home. Keep in mind, that they may not want to make a change in their life, which you have, so it is easier to make it hard on you, then see that they would benefit from walking along side you. I have my daughter doing this with me, so that is helpful, she is away at college, my husband is not supportive at all, but does not push me to eat something I don't want. You have proven to yourself, how tough you are, you can do this, in spite of them.
  • TakinSexyBack
    TakinSexyBack Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I am down a little now.........but I had lost 30 lbs before anyone noticed........my husband still says he cant tell. Dont fret over that!!!! It will come............the day when someone will be like..............holy crap batman.............how much weight have you LOST!!!! IT WILL COME!!!!! Im always for making this fun! ADD me if you want!!
  • Sweetie_Pie92
    Sweetie_Pie92 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    My family is made up of mildly overweight people...who are all content to stay that way. They have no intention of cleaning up their diets or lifestyle, they are content. There are days when I wish they would hop on the health wagon....that my mom would cook a healthy dinner, but I've realized my only motivation is myself. No on else can do it for me.
    What help me the most when I'm feeling down or have fallen off the wagon is to envision the body that I want. The feeling of wearing a bikini with confidence, not looking fat in pictures, feeling comfortable with my body. Like they say, nothing tastes as goo as skinny feels.
  • rmdlds
    Options
    No but a pin pal sure would help. What do you think about budding up? Rose Marie :flowerforyou:
  • Lmezz11
    Lmezz11 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    First of all congrats on a FANTASTIC loss so far! That is such a big accomplishment! One thing I would suggest as a support system is friends on MFP. I don't have a whole lot encouragement and understanding outside of this site but friends on here really help. Also, when people are throwing out the "just have a burger and fries" remember why YOU decided to do this. This is for YOU not them. Keep up the fantastic work!

PS friend request is being sent now! :drinker:
  • samibeck
    Options
    I, like u, must carry weight well cause no one really noticed my weight loss of 50ish pounds until I bought new clothes. I think when you don't feel the support from fam and friends,it helps to have online support where others get it. Also if you are feeling deprived all the time people who don't understand will tell you to give in. I had to figure out how to eat fast food and still lose. Don't quit! You must be a vey strong person to have lost so much weight!
  • wonderiss
    Options
    @pen2u. It’s completely true. Can’t see a bit of difference. Thought I might just be being hard on myself and figured that losing that amount of weight would at least result in getting to buy smaller clothes. Got even more frustrated when I realized that I still had to buy the same sizes.

@annicins loved the video. I just might consider punching them in the face! :)

@ sophie_wr I have pictures from before. Those pictures are what got me to put down the fork and get off the couch! I can’t bring myself to take any new ones and I have always been a grouch about taking pictures so nobody really argues.

Thanks everyone! Getting some great ideas. Easily the most support I have gotten! Thanks so much for that!
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I was hoping, rather selfishly, that this post was written by a single person living alone with no "irl" support...'cause lemme tell ya, I get having trouble staying motivated alone...my cats just don't 'get it' :smile: Although admittedly, they don't sabotage me either.

I didn't care for years. I didn't care today. I have to remind myself WHY I am dropping weight, getting exercise, eating healthier; again. I started caring again. Caring ABOUT ME. I am doing this for MY Heart. So I can have, hopefully, a better quality of life than I would've had otherwise. Plus, I wanna be "hot" again... :flowerforyou:
  • wonderiss
    Options
    @stinkywinkies, I do live alone most of the time. I'm a full time graduate student with no roommates. I get the comments when I go home, go out with friends, or when someone comes to visit.
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    @stinkywinkies, I do live alone most of the time. I'm a full time graduate student with no roommates. I get the comments when I go home, go out with friends, or when someone comes to visit.

Ah, kindred spirits then. :happy: Also, my scales haven't moved in over a month...but clothes I bought beginning of October are falling off me. It WILL happen for you too.