stupid walmart yogurt

Options
So I have been eating the fat free yogurt from Walmart for MONTHS.... well all the sudden they changed the package. I checked the package and it still had the same calorie content. Or so I thought...I grabbed the 2 week supply I needed and have been eating it for a week now. Well I just looked again the stupid stuff has 60 more calories in it!!! WHAT!!! It doesnt even taste different. I know 60 cals isnt much but I feel cheated by my yogurt....what is the world comming to? =(

Replies

• FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    If you can't trust your yogurt...who can you trust! You have been violated! :laugh: Thanks for the heads up. I am sure there are several of us eating that brand.........Hang in there! :flowerforyou:
  • tinasullens
    tinasullens Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    So I have been eating the fat free yogurt from Walmart for MONTHS.... well all the sudden they changed the package. I checked the package and it still had the same calorie content. Or so I thought...I grabbed the 2 week supply I needed and have been eating it for a week now. Well I just looked again the stupid stuff has 60 more calories in it!!! WHAT!!! It doesnt even taste different. I know 60 cals isnt much but I feel cheated by my yogurt....what is the world comming to? =(

You really have to watch the labels on the fat free items. Usually they add more sugar to replace the fat. That could be where the extra cals are coming from. Check the sugar content from the previous info if you can and see if that's the case. You may be better off with a low-fat version anyway (at least concerning the sugar content). If you have to much sugar and your body doesn't burn it off as energy, it will be stored as fat. So fat free isn't necessarily always the better choice.

Way to go on losing 93 lbs!!!!! That's MAJOR! Great job!
    Tina
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Yogurt can be insidious. Even the "fat free" stuff can sometimes have a lot of sugar. I have been going w/the Choblani Greek style yogurt from Costco. It's more expensive, but it appears better on the label. It does have fruit on the bottom, which is always a yellow flag. But I can't afford the Fage plain stuff -- I can only find it at Whole Foods for about $8 a quart--ain't happenin'.
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    The best solution? Make your own yogurt! It's super easy and CHEAP and takes no time at all! (well it takes overnight but not prep time!) I've been making my own for the past month, and straining it to remove the whey and ending up with Greek yogurt made with 1% organic milk for a fraction of the price of store-bought! YUM!

I use a tbsp of maple syrup in a half cup for a quick breakfast or snack but it's good with fruit or with savory flavors too! I also use it in place of sour cream.

I'd always heard it was easy but didn't bother to try it until I fell in love with the expensive Greek style :tongue:
  • balance9
    balance9 Posts: 160
    Options
    If you can't trust your yogurt...who can you trust!
    Eating at a hotel breakfast buffet the other morning and grabbed a Yoplait light yogurt. I generally don't eat artificial sweeteners, but I made a deal with the devil since there wasn't much else there to eat that was even remotely healthy. So I expected to find some some aspartame or something else on the label, but was really surprised to find that the SECOND ingredient was high fructose corn syrup...on a LIGHT yogurt?
  • jrbowers83
    jrbowers83 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I buy this same yogurt, I think...Great Value fat free Light yogurt? I had to run and check my containers because I stocked up last week. Mine still shows the same nutritional value. I wonder if mine is older than what you have or what? It's funny because I actually buy the fat free yogurt (only 80 cals) for days when I am low on calories and need a snack, then days when I need to up my cals I eat the Yoplait Thick & Creamy yogurts which pack a whopping 180 cals.

mstahl-I would love the recipe to make homemade Greek style yogurt. It sounds pretty good, and I could easily customize my flavors, yum.
  • DrJerryFowler
    Options
    Take some fat free PLAIN yogurt...
    Put 1/2 cup in a bowl. Put in your favorite fruit (like strawberries OR blueberries OR 3 berries, etc)
    Add 1 teaspoon Agave Nectar
    Add 1 teaspoon Stevia natural sweetener
    mix

You have a LOT of food. All of this is only 109 calories. Very filling. Much healthier.
    You can of course cut in 1/2 and it still come out much better than buying the individual yogurts.

We buy the big tub of plain yogurt at Costco. We buy frozen bags of the fruit, and thaw a container full at a time - in the fridge.
    It is MUCH LESS money than the individual yogurts, it is still very simple, and it is much healthier.
  • lvngangel
    Options
    I had a similar Walmart experience. I always buy the non-fat plain and add my own friut/sweetner but this last week all they had was nonfat sweetend plain (this must be new b/c I never saw it before). I thought, why not? I'll just omit my sweetner but when I got home and compared to an old carton the protein had dropped from 12g to 7g. How did adding sweetner do that? What kind of crap did they put in there?
  • johnporcaro
    johnporcaro Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Next thing you know they'll force you to stir it up yourself because they leave all the fruit in a clump in the bottom, and soon you'll be finding active bacteria in your yogurt. Sheesh! What's the world coming to?
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Next thing you know they'll force you to stir it up yourself because they leave all the fruit in a clump in the bottom, and soon you'll be finding active bacteria in your yogurt. Sheesh! What's the world coming to?

???????
    That sounds like sarcasm but doesn't seem relevant to anyones previous post
  • alicenleroy
    Options
    The database numbers should be corrected then huh? When we are out, I get the Yogurt Parfait from McDonalds. Its only 130 calories and it's delicious!(:smooched: we stop there to get our pup a hamburger) Finding something that fits your diet isn't easy when it comes to "fast food":bigsmile: It has blueberries and strawberries too. If you use the granola sprinkles...THAT will cost you 30 more calories. I dont use them.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I recommend greek yogurt...way more protein and less garbage and chemicals. I think of regular yogurt as healthy as eating pudding. There really isn't much in ways of nutrition in those light/fat free flavored yogurts.
  • SraArroz
    SraArroz Posts: 238
    Options
    I LOVE greek yogurt! I've also noticed a lot more companies hopping on the bandwagon and making it. Oikos makes one with chocolate in the bottom. It's good, but has too much sugar in it for me. It satisfies my sweet cravings with protein though and is better for me than pudding. I'm considering getting the plain and adding sugar free chocolate syrup to it, it's fat free and has fewer carbs. =)
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's has it's own brand of Greek yogurt that is less money than Fage or Oikos, or Chobani. I buy plain, fat free, and mix my own fruit into it, usually blueberries and raspberries. LOVE IT. If you have a Trader Joe's close by, it's worth the visit. I find mine is usually the better deal on dairy products, like milk, cheese, and yogurt.
  • Positively_Me
    Positively_Me Posts: 1,500 Member
    Options
    The best solution? Make your own yogurt! It's super easy and CHEAP and takes no time at all! (well it takes overnight but not prep time!) I've been making my own for the past month, and straining it to remove the whey and ending up with Greek yogurt made with 1% organic milk for a fraction of the price of store-bought! YUM!

I use a tbsp of maple syrup in a half cup for a quick breakfast or snack but it's good with fruit or with savory flavors too! I also use it in place of sour cream.

I'd always heard it was easy but didn't bother to try it until I fell in love with the expensive Greek style :tongue:

That good t o hear you're enjoying your yogurt...lol
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    If anyone is interested in trying to make their own yogurt - here is a recipe from Frugal Girl:

http://www.thefrugalgirl.com/2009/10/how-to-make-homemade-yogurt-2/
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Positively_Me convinced me to make my own yogurt (and taught me how!) and we're so addicted that even our housemate has jumped on the band wagon! She just texted me asking if she picked up some organic 1% milk if we could make an extra batch tonight :) We strain all of it so we only have the Greek style.

I had some unsweetened with cinnamon the other day - wonderful! and I've used honey and maple syrup for natural sweeteners, and sweet leaf and splenda... it's all been great. I'll put some in my Frittata tonight (eggs with Greek yogurt mixed in, poured over sauteed onions, red bell peppers and roasted egg plant and baked in the oven for 25 minutes!) A dab added on top of my mushroom and tuna casserole was fabulous too! There's just no end to the uses!
  • TwentyTen
    TwentyTen Posts: 585
    Options
    If you can't trust your yogurt...who can you trust!
    Eating at a hotel breakfast buffet the other morning and grabbed a Yoplait light yogurt. I generally don't eat artificial sweeteners, but I made a deal with the devil since there wasn't much else there to eat that was even remotely healthy. So I expected to find some some aspartame or something else on the label, but was really surprised to find that the SECOND ingredient was high fructose corn syrup...on a LIGHT yogurt?

Yep that annoyed me too when I discovered it. So no more. Now I just buy organic fat free and add my own fruit , ususally berries, and just a dash of raw sugar. They sneak that high fructose corn syrup in alot of things, you really have to go out of your way to avoid it.
  • blondie76
    blondie76 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    If anyone is interested in trying to make their own yogurt - here is a recipe from Frugal Girl:

http://www.thefrugalgirl.com/2009/10/how-to-make-homemade-yogurt-2/

great recipe!!

Have to try this!