help with plateau

Options
Hi guys..

SO I tried to search through the posts to find good hints on beating a plateau and I didn't have a lot of success...

Ive lost 32 lbs.. 5'6, 21 year old female stuck at 185.

I tried switching up working out last week (doing weights before cardio) and I hit the gym 5 days.. i usually burn around 600 cals. still the scale hasn't budged for 2 weeks. I have been accountable and following my calorie goal...

any hints or gentle reminders?

Mel

Replies

• Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    All I can really add is to not give up no matter how depressing it is, I was stuck for 3 months, even after changing things up, things finally started moving down again recently. In general, I did up my cals from MFP recommended 1370, to NROL4W cals closer to 1800-2100 depending on if it's a workout day or not. Plateaus suck. Keep at it, don't give up!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    How much have you been eating? Eating low calorie can cause a plateau. If this is the case up them to 15% below your TDEE.
  • Cjoseph03
    Cjoseph03 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    What does "NROL4W" mean?
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    What does "NROL4W" mean?

New Rules of Lifting For Women (it's a weight lifting/fitness book)
  • MamaWalkingBear
    MamaWalkingBear Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I've been on a plateau for a month, but my measurements have been decreasing still.

Look at other things besides the scale right now to see how your are improving. Measurements, how much harder you have to work to get to your target heart rate during a workout. How much easier it is to walk and how much more energy you have.

Your body is still working on getting fitter and thinner....you just have to look at things beyond the scale.

Keep doing all the right things, healthy eating, activity and balanced lifestyle. Stress is another factor that doesn't help. Relaxation exercises....yoga....what ever works for you.

Good Luck!! You can do it!!
  • melly2
    melly2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    thanks guys! all good things I didnt think of :)
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    This Mayo Clinic article about plateaus is a good one:
    https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/weight-loss-plateau/MY01152

I pay attention to measurements, how my clothes fit, and how I look in the mirror. I often find that my weight will stay steady or blip up temporarily (same half pound back and forth, back and forth) and then take a whoosh down. It takes patience and perseverance. As long as I keep doing the right things I tend to eventually see results. Just keep on keepin' on and congrats on your progress so far!
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Two weeks may be a little early to call it a plateau. I would love to help me if you could give me more information. Age, weight, type of exercise, length and frequency of exercise, calories consumed, and macro percentages would all be helpful.
  • annas3911
    Options
    I always find mixing it up at the gym helps - doing something different! Have you tried interval training - it's great for fat burning. Short sharp bursts of exercise at full intensity with short rests in between. Good luck :)
  • annams76
    annams76 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have been told that the best way to beat a plateau is to just keep pushing through it. If you have not tried it yet HIIT has been said to have major benefits and is a good way to break through a plateau. Now as we both know everyone is different but can't hurt to try it if you haven't. =) Good luck and awesome job with the 32lbs loss already!!!
  • annams76
    annams76 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Two weeks may be a little early to call it a plateau. I would love to help me if you could give me more information. Age, weight, type of exercise, length and frequency of exercise, calories consumed, and macro percentages would all be helpful.

What is a macro percentage?
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options

What is a macro percentage?

Percentage of fats, carbs, protein. We are all different and food sources can play a role in how the body breaks down fat. The ideal diet for fat burning for 'most' people would be higher protein, higher fat, lower carb.
  • Dymatized
    Options
    We need to see your macros. How much protein, carbs and fats your eating per day. Assuming that you're burning more calories than you're eating you may just have to try 20 minutes of HIIT after 20 minutes of steady cardio. Works for me like a charm.
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Before you start evaluating everything and chasing ghosts, give it time.......
    The WORST thing you can do is to start soliciting (and implementing) advice from us knuckleheads.
    Two weeks is not cause to worry. I wouldn't even start to worry until 6 weeks or more. I only lose weight about once a month (weird, I know ). It comes off in chunks and I usually go about a month before I see a loss.
    The thing I sometimes forget to do is to adjust my calories based on my weight loss. You should change it every 5 pounds lost. If you have done that, then don't worry about it.
    As long as you are eating at a calorie deficit, you will lose. If you are close to your goal weight, you want that deficit to be smaller than when you had more weight to lose. As you get closer to your goal weight, body composition changes are more apparent than weight lost, so hopefully you are monitoring this as well.