Many fruits a day = too much sugar a day???

Options
Hi everyone!

As public health services advise, I eat 5 vegetables and fruits (or more) per day.
But very often, I end up with eating more fruits than vegetables. Could that be a problem? Would that be too much sugar for my body even if it comes from healthy food?

Need your help and opinion! :-)

Have a nice day!

Camille

Replies

• AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

As public health services advise, I eat 5 vegetables and fruits (or more) per day.
    But very often, I end up with eating more fruits than vegetables. Could that be a problem? Would that be too much sugar for my body even if it comes from healthy food?

Need your help and opinion! :-)

Have a nice day!

Camille
    You can gain weight from fruit if it goes over your maintenance.
  • HealthFreak1967
    HealthFreak1967 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    look up raw foodism 80/10/10. obviously not a problem health-wise. no.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    look up raw foodism 80/10/10. obviously not a problem health-wise. no.

yah... and then google food cults. ha ha. food burn.

dont worry about it unless you are pre diabetic.
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Although it's natural sugar, it's still sugar (in my eyes). I never used to worry as much since it's fruit (and it's not like its processed etc.) but recently my trainer said to cut as much sugar as I could and every day I have blue berries, banana and strawberries and he basically told me to cut them... if anything, I've just cut down on them but still have them every day. Everyone is different though with different goals and I am not a dietician or nutritionist, but that's my opinion and what my trainer has told me to do for me to reach my individual goal.
  • skillingsrobertj
    Options
    I read somewhere that the sugars from fruit are better for you than the processed sugars because the fruit contains a balance of natural sugars and carbohydrates and fiber.

Having said that, eating too many calories of ANY kind, will cause you to gain weight if your caloric intake is higher than the energy you expend.
  • supbanana
    supbanana Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    It depends on your body. I'm insulin-resistant, so I can't eat fruit. Even one apple contains more carbs and sugar than I'm allowed in a day. If you can eat fruit and lose weight, good for you! Please eat an apple for me so I can live vicariously though you. :( If you find you're not dropping the weight, maybe cut back a little.
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    In my humble opinion, I don't think there is a black and white answer...but a lot of us must experiment and find our own answers.

i myself am a low carb gal. so, I get my carbs (as well as vitamins and minerals) from vegetables more than fruits.

But, I don't cut fruits out all together! Blueberries, strawberries, apples....fruits high in fiber are my thing. You won't ever see me eating a banana for instance, I can get potassium from other even heathiser sources.

Think about this: Just because a particular "food" is on the planet, doesn't mean it was meant for us humans........

So, experiment! Listen to your body, that's my advice :-)
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Unless the fruits cause you to go over your calories or not allow you to eat enough proteins and fats, it's not a problem - assuming you have no medical condition that require you to limit your sugar intake.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Unless the fruits cause you to go over your calories or not allow you to eat enough proteins and fats, it's not a problem - assuming you have no medical condition that require you to limit your sugar intake.

^^this
  • bluemilan
    Options
    As a health care professional, of course i would encourage all my patients to eat their 5 a day but include fruit and vegetables, even if they have diabetes.

With diabetes what you dont want is a sudden rise in your blood glucose level, so incorporating fruit and vegetables in a meal, will only incur a slow rise and therefore not putting too much stress on your pancreas to produce insulin.

As was already pointed out, fruit contains fibre and slows the rate of absorption.

Nobody i know has ever became overweight from eating too much fruit and vegetables--in fact thats where my weight loss is from. I dont eat bread, milk or meat because I dont like them. I become bloated with pasta so restrict that too, so basically I eat fruit and vegetables for each meal and snacks.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    It is not a problem, you can eat as much fruit as you like, as long as you maintain a calorie deficit. Unless you have a medical condition fruit provide excellent nutrients and are recommended for that reason.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that the sugars from fruit are better for you than the processed sugars because the fruit contains a balance of natural sugars and carbohydrates and fiber.

Having said that, eating too many calories of ANY kind, will cause you to gain weight if your caloric intake is higher than the energy you expend.

do not, I repeat not even start that *kitten*

30742877.jpg
  • emersonkelly
    Options
    Consuming too much fruit each day may result in weight gain!!
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Although it's natural sugar, it's still sugar (in my eyes). I never used to worry as much since it's fruit (and it's not like its processed etc.) but recently my trainer said to cut as much sugar as I could and every day I have blue berries, banana and strawberries and he basically told me to cut them... if anything, I've just cut down on them but still have them every day. Everyone is different though with different goals and I am not a dietician or nutritionist, but that's my opinion and what my trainer has told me to do for me to reach my individual goal.

I'd cut my trainer before I cut my fruit. I <3 fruit.
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I'm over my "MFP allotted" sugar almost every day....it's in part to the fact that I eat fruit everyday...sometimes a lot of it. I'm not having any problems getting to my goals because of it. In fact, my BF% is continually going down each month and my LBM is continually going up. Plus....I love looking at my food diary and seeing how fruit and veggies help me reach my vitamin and fiber goals!