Nervous about joining a class

Options
Hi everyone! I hope I am posting in the right board! I know this is really silly, but I want to attend a yoga or zumba class at my local gym, but can't seem to work up the courage to try it. I am fine doing the dvds at home, but I think it is just the fear of not knowing what to expect from the class that always stops me from going. I guess that I am worried that I may not be able to do the poses or embarrassing myself in front of more experienced classmates. I am looking for a little insight on how to get over my anxiety and participate as a group, as well as what to expect when I first arrive at a class. Thanks.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Just go do it. Those classes are full of newbies. You'll be fine. One tip I will offer is that for any new class that you try, get there 15 mins early, introduce yourself to the instructor, and let him/her know that you are new. They will give you all the tips and pointers you need, and depending on the type of class may be able to give you additional help during the class.

Seriously, just go sign up.
  • 388gigi
    388gigi Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Once you go once, you will be fine!! And you will most likely LOVE it!! I do at least 3 classes a week, I prefer them way more than my own workouts. You push yourself harder and you'll see more results.

Honestly, the first 5 minutes you might feel silly but by the end of the class you'll be so happy you did it! :-)
  • TayPat24
    TayPat24 Posts: 131
    Options
    They are so much fun! I find that I work harder in group classes not sure why I just do lol go for it!
  • bridgelene
    bridgelene Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I've never done zumba, but I went to yoga classes for a while......seriously, nicest people ever. I'm a social person, so I talked to the instructor before class and told them, as well as the other people in the class while we were all coming in and they were socializing. They were all fabulous! (I stopped going because of family problems, but that's another story :)
  • healthyJenn0915
    Options
    I just joined the Y and tried a new class today that I have never done before at any other gym. The whole room was filled with people that go on a regular basis and the instructor knew them all by name. I introduced myself to her and told her I was a new member and once the class started she introduced me to the whole class! Kind of embarrassing, but I fit right into the class and didn't feel out of place at all. I have come to realize that it doesn't matter if you are new to the class, just follow along and do what you can. Nobody is watching but yourself! Good luck I'm sure you will do just fine.
  • sarah5423
    sarah5423 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I was the same when I started my classes but let me assure you that even though I've been going for months and know most of the routines off the top of my head I STILL concentrate on our instructor and how hard I'm working or getting my form correct. The chances of the others in the class watching you are slim and if any of them do it's because they aren't serious about working out, you're the one that will be fitter and stronger in a few months so who cares what they think. Go and enjoy this new experience!
  • mellie_mellie
    mellie_mellie Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Don't be nervous!! Yoga classes are great - - just put your mat at the back of the room if you want to be incognito :)
  • bluechip777
    bluechip777 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Just walk through the door --- your fears will go away. Namaste!
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    We all have to start somewhere. How do those experienced people become experienced? They were first a newbie just like you. There are many others who are probably just starting as well. Just go! Never know till you try
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    If I, as a 6' skinhead with a beard, can go to gym classes full of women, you certainly don't have any excuse ;).

Despite often not really 'fitting in', always been made to feel welcome.

Made some good friends at a previous gym with regulars in some of the classes.
  • princessemmie
    Options
    i felt exactly the same, but joined my local zumba class 2 weeks ago, yeah sure i might not have much rhythem but as long as your moving and giggling you will love it!I have been to 2 sessions and have loads more booked in, its great fun everyone does there own thing and they have a range of fat, thin, old young fit and unfit just go i cant recommend it enough!i have a little one and love that hour of my time, dont worry about anyone else who cares what they think :D x
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Trust me when I say that everyone is going to be so focused on what they're doing that they don't have any attention left to spare for seeing what you can or can't do!

Yoga: In my experience, the only person in the class who is "good" at everything is the instructor. Each student has different things they are good or bad at. For example, I am the least flexible person I know and have no upper body strength, but I rocked the moving individual toes separately.

Zumba: I haven't taken it, but my martial arts class is in the next studio over. The only person who looks cool doing Zumba is the instructor, so don't worry about it being awkward. It is awkward for everyone.

Also, just a note that yoga and zumba are good for very different things. Zumba is great for burning calories and increasing endurance. Yoga is good for building strength, improving orthopedic health, and being a calmer person.
  • AliciaStaton
    AliciaStaton Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Hi I remember when I wanted to join a belly dancing class and none of my friends were interested. So I went on my own and I was nervous but once I got there I was fine, everyone was nice enough and I just got on with it and five years later I am still going. Also with Zumba (when I get the chance to go) its great because you will find all ages and sizes and people just go and enjoy it. Hope it turns out ok:bigsmile:
  • xNJAx
    xNJAx Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I’m very shy and not a confident person so I was *terrified* the first time I went to a class and it took me the longest time to build up the courage. I think I expected everyone there to practically be professional body-pumpers or something. The reality was that there was a huge range of people from the very good, extremely fit, long-term attendees to first-time, totally out-of-sync, completely unfit newbies. I was somewhere in between. Everybody encouraged each other and had fun. I found I worked really hard because I was motivated by so many things - the fit people I was aspiring to be like; the really energetic and encouraging trainers, plus the people who were even less fit that me but giving it a go. Everyone is basically aiming for the same thing, more or less, so it’s a great way to exercise.

Maybe arrange to go with a friend the first time so you don’t back out and can feel a bit ‘safer’? :)
  • Everythin2Lose
    Options
    I have recently faced that fear! Including about 2hrs ago so I know what is going through your mind!

I managed to pull myself through a whole class of body pump the other week... the instructor was amazing! And although it killed and I took a few "pauses"- it was SO MUCH FUN! (i hurt for DAYSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS after though so be warned!).

Tonight I thought I'd try body step.... turns out I'm not so coordinated and honestly I didn't enjoy it but I will try again in a month or three (sticking to pump). Coordination is a must for it! But that said, even though I left half an hour into the hour class... I was a little embarrassed because I was so un-co and other girls were trying to give me tips and encourage me- I'm not ashamed of trying, tonight I went and i TRIED!!! This is what this is all about...

Go! Try! If you don't like it, keep trying classes until you find something that makes you excited and work every muscle in your body! Its great to switch things up! If you don't like it.... try again in a few months to double check! haha.