Any advice about eating before the gym?

Options
Hi guys
Couldn't sleep tonight, up at 430...I have my first training session today at 730, I'm excited! I'm hungry now though but I'm holding off on eating breakfast because I feel like I get cramps in my side when I eat too soon before working out. Any advice on how long you wait between meals and working out, or maybe foods that you think fare well pre-work out? Thanks!

Replies

• Arrabindi
    Arrabindi Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Sorry to not give you a clear answer, but I think you just have to figure out what works for you. Some people can only work out after eating, and some need to work out fasting. I'm a little of both - I need to eat something the last hour before a bike ride, but I get horrible stomach cramps if I eat anything at all the last three hours before a run.
  • nannabannana
    Options
    I eat a FIBER ONE chocolate peanut butter bar. Post workout a protein shake which consist of 1 scoop of protein powder, 1 frozen banana and 1 c Silk unsweetened Almond milk:) Works for me....
    You will find what works best, NO WORRIES.:love:
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Hi guys
    Couldn't sleep tonight, up at 430...I have my first training session today at 730, I'm excited! I'm hungry now though but I'm holding off on eating breakfast because I feel like I get cramps in my side when I eat too soon before working out. Any advice on how long you wait between meals and working out, or maybe foods that you think fare well pre-work out? Thanks!

I HAVE to eat before I work out, and it has to be like 300-400 calories. One time I only ate like 150 calories, and by the time I got done on the treadmill and headed over to the weights, I got really light headed. I thought for sure I was going to pass out. Since then I have been eating a real breakfast and the situation never happened again. It just worked out for my breakfast time to be 60-90 minutes before I work out. usually I have 2 eggs, 3 slices of soy bacon, and cottage cheese or greek yogurt.
  • annams76
    annams76 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I read something online that said you should wait at least an hour after eating a meal. I think that changes depending on what website you go to or who you speak to. For me, I tend to eat when I am hungry but I try not to eat for an hour before working out, unless it is something small like a protein bar or something like that.
  • annas3911
    Options
    Hello - I have a small banana milkshake to take the hunger off and give you some extra energy. You need to eat something otherwise you won't put so much into your training and get fatigued!
    I have half a banana with about 200ml of almond milk :)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    my advice is to eat before you go to the gym if you feel better that way, and don't eat before the gym if you feel better that way. everyone is different in this regard. i don't eat, but i know plenty that do just fine eating. in a past life, i dated a girl that had to eat a gigantic breakfast before going out for a run. oh, and then she had to shower before the run. it's GD 6am, can we just lace up and hit the door! it didn't work out for us.
  • StephDuffney
    StephDuffney Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I work out in the afternoon and I have to eat something with high carb or I am done for. Learned the lesson the hard way when my sugar crashed at the gym. I am diabetic so when I do a really hard work out I need the carb to keep going. I normally eat about 10-15 mins be for starting my work out .