Squats

Options
Hey all,
Jus tthought I would say that after advice from you all I've started a new routine. Have done some weight machines for my arms as well as running, and yesterday - for the firs titme ever - DID SQUATS WITH FREE WEIGHTS!

Ok, so 3 reps of 12 with arm raises using 5kg isn't much - but it's more than I've done before.

And boy, I do ache a bit too, so MUST be good, right?

Anyhoo - now for my questions:

I'm planning on doing these squats every other session, so prob this week will do Monday, Wednesday, Friday and either Saturday or Sunday depending on when my rest day falls...is this right, or should I do everyday or less?

Also, when I can complete them easily, do I do more, or heavier weights?

For abs, I have been doing crunches (100 normal, 100 with legs raised on a ball during my work out, then at night with my strentches do some leg raises and 50 bicycle crunches)) - will this be enough to tone my stomach? do I do these every workout, or just as I said with the squats?

Sorry for all the questions, you all just know so much more than me!!!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I'm still new on lifting but I believe the general advise is heavier weights, less reps. So once you can do your sets easy enough definitely add more weight instead of increase reps.

The best thing for abs is just losing weight. I've heard the saying "abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym". You'll have ab muscles already but they only become visable as you drop body fat percentage. I've heard on MFP that planks are way better than crunches but I don't know how accurate that is.

Sorry, probably not much help but didn't want to read and run!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I just did suats with my trainer for the first time last night (have done then before but wanted tips on form). My first question is - what are squats with arm raises? A squat is primarily a leg exercise (well, whole body but the place it really works is the thighs). The arms are used to steady the bar which is held across the mid-point of the shoulders.

The power comes from pushing through the heels straight upwards to standing. And the thighs should go below parallel to the floor. That's the bit that hurts like hell - pushing from a below parallel position to above parallel.

To get the most benefit, I'd concentrate on upping the weight. More reps isn't going to do a lot to increase muscle strength. Add small weights to the bar each time you feel yourself easily doing the last couple of reps.

It's worth getting someone to watch your form and teach you through it. When you get into heavier weights that's crucial.

As for the abs work, I don't know that crunches alone tone the stomach. Read New Rules of Lifting for Women and he goes into quite some detail on muscular structure and how each muscle works in combination.

Good on you for picking up the free weights!!! Long may it continue!!!
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    If you choose a lifting program such as Stronglifts 5X5 (you can google it), you will not need to do ab work. The compound lifts with heavy weights will work all the muscles. I have only been doing this for 6 weeks, but my abs are getting a work out!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Hey all,
    Jus tthought I would say that after advice from you all I've started a new routine. Have done some weight machines for my arms as well as running, and yesterday - for the firs titme ever - DID SQUATS WITH FREE WEIGHTS!

Ok, so 3 reps of 12 with arm raises using 5kg isn't much - but it's more than I've done before.

And boy, I do ache a bit too, so MUST be good, right?

Anyhoo - now for my questions:

I'm planning on doing these squats every other session, so prob this week will do Monday, Wednesday, Friday and either Saturday or Sunday depending on when my rest day falls...is this right, or should I do everyday or less?

Also, when I can complete them easily, do I do more, or heavier weights?

For abs, I have been doing crunches (100 normal, 100 with legs raised on a ball during my work out, then at night with my strentches do some leg raises and 50 bicycle crunches)) - will this be enough to tone my stomach? do I do these every workout, or just as I said with the squats?

Sorry for all the questions, you all just know so much more than me!!!! :flowerforyou:

From everything I have heard ( I am still kind of a noob myself) you should not work the same muscles 2 days in a row when you are doing any kind of strength routine. I just started barbell squats earlier this month, and can only do 70 pounds right now. I do mine M-W-F and I leg press (218 pounds) on T-F. Not sure I have ever seen ( or would attempt) doing a squat and arm raises at the same time. The trainer helping me says he does his squats with a 70lb dumbbell held in front of him. He also says that if you can do 2-3 sets of 8-12 reps with a weight easily, it is time to add more weight.

the only exercise I do at every session ( that would be 4x per week) is reverse crunches. I do like a whole 30 of them. I had a c-section 13 years ago and have a stubborn pooch right above that I would like to flatten
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Find a workout program that people have found success with for decades instead of making up your own.
  • BronnersHarris
    BronnersHarris Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I think they recommend squats and arm raises as it works two muscles together? Jillian does a similar thing. Think it's to do with burning more calories.

I started my squating with dumbbells. 10kg in each hand. Kettlebells are easier as you can hold it in the moddle so can get a wider squat IMO. You are obviously limited as to how much your arms can hold though which is why people tend to then progress to
    with barbells as someone mentioned above but squatting with weights you can hold is a good place to start. If you're keen to see different types - google dumbbell squats. You can do wider/narrow ones etc.
  • Methinksabout
    Options
    I think the OP is not doing squats with a barbell but rather with the small dumbbell weights in her hands, lifting her fists in front of her to shoulder height while squatting down. So it's slightly different to the "proper" barbell squats.

I would also say do them alternating days, upp the weights rather than the reps (as long as your arms allow them) and make sure your knees are NEVER in front of your toes when you squat!
  • missferoux
    missferoux Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for your replies. Yes - the arm raises things is just to work arms at same time as well as having weight on the legs. I will def alternate days. I wasn't aching that much this morning - but it's getting worse lol.
  • Brian_VA
    Brian_VA Posts: 125
    Options
    Squats are a compound exercise that primarily work the glutes, but also the core, back, and legs.

Form is extremely important! Don't let knees get too far forward and get low enough that thigh is parallel to the floor. Lots of good YouTube videos.
  • annams76
    annams76 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    My advise is to not work the same muscle group that often and make sure you do other leg workouts. You can use machines that will guide you through leg workouts. You def need to do more than just quads though. Lunges, calf raises, ab and adduction, leg curls. They say you can do core daily but if you are sore give it a rest so you don't end up hurting yourself. Good luck though.

When I do weight training I try to focus on specific body parts.
    Day 1: back and bis
    Day 2: chest and tris
    Day 3: legs and shoulders
    Abs get thrown in there at least twice in the week and on the day I do legs I make sure I do a light cardio instead of running.

Good luck
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    You should get on a real prewritten routine that has been around for years as was mentioned previously. More info here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners