I don't know what to do as far as gym membership?

Options
So I just moved to Eugene, OR and am ready to start a weight loss journey over six months starting in December so that I have lost around 30lbs in time for my birthday in June. Anyways, I am having a hard time deciding what to do as far as excercise. I don't have a membership to a gym here at all since I don't know of any, and am not sure what kind of gym I want a membership to. I used to do crossfit, but I am not sure if crossfit is the best way to lose weight, plus it's rather expensive. Then there's the 24hr fitness type of thing with a lot of cardio equipment and basic weights, but that was the type of gym I used to go to and it gets rather old without the motivation. Then theres the option of not getting a membership and relying on running outside *depending on the weather and also doing bodyrock at home which is what I have been doing for the last couple days, but I don't see that lasting either. What works best from your guys' experience? I just want to make sure I am setting myself up for success because if I get a month into this and don't see the results I want I know myself and I will just want to give up! :(

Replies

• lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I go to a 24 hour, and it's working fine for me. If the motivation doesn't come from within, it doesn't matter where you excercise.

When the weather is nicer I ride a bike, or walk for cardio. Right now, I stick to the eliptical. Lots of women like the zumba and group exercise jazz...they do these at my 24 hour...
  • majordlite
    majordlite Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I go for walks and have just started 30 Day Shred with Jillian Michaels. To be honest, I've mainly lost weight through lowering my calorie intake, so I can't give you much advice. I do chase after a toddler all day, but that's not the same. And, sadly, I have a membership to a 24-hour gym, with free daycare and classes, so there's really no excuse except for caving to a 2-year-old who shrieks when I leave her at the daycare there and my not wanting her daddy to always have to roll right in to keeping her when he gets home after a long day at work so that I can go to the gym. Excuses, right? Sigh...
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    You could join a YMCA. Not only is it a gym but there are a ton of programs and classes. Programs cost extra money but classes dont. If you are low income, you can do the Membership For All. They have a new program called Activtrax. You take a strength test and then with that info it gives you a daily workout with cardio and weights. Its free.
  • LosingMandy
    LosingMandy Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You could join a YMCA. Not only is it a gym but there are a ton of programs and classes. Programs cost extra money but classes dont. If you are low income, you can do the Membership For All. They have a new program called Activtrax. You take a strength test and then with that info it gives you a daily workout with cardio and weights. Its free.

This is a good idea. Ive have joined a gym that has all the basic equipment and the classes. The classes are good because once you have started, you are commited to 30-60 mins of excercise. I also found having a personal trainer once a week or fortnight was helpful too. keeps me on track.
  • ManEnMotion
    ManEnMotion Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I like the 24 hrs gyms. I think you should shop around and see what each place has to offer. Most gyms give a two day pass that you can try before you sign on the dotted line. Also, if you have friends ask where the go... I suggest having a friend/workout partner to motivate you going
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I don't do the gym here. I have a basic set of hand weights...all the free workout videos I could ever need on the internet. I just plug my laptop into my tv and have whatever personal trainer I want for the day.

When it's nice I walk outside..when it's nasty I do laps in my house. The stairs make for a good exercise..I have 2 floors and make mini competitions with myself to see how many flights of stairs I can do during the day. They also double as a good place to do stuff like planks and push ups.

I want to spend my money on smaller clothes (which I have done several time since starting this lifestyle change)..instead of a gym membership
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    It depends on your goals. I highly recommend lifting heavy weights though.