Cross Fit anyone???

Options
hello,
I am new to this boards and restarted my life-changing routine this year. I have done cross-fit foundations and will be doing more CF training. is anyone here in CF?

I also wondered how to add strength training to the exercise area to be able to get the calories burned. right now it just allows for non strength stuff and I am missing my calories burned in my tracking tool.
ETA: I have lost 17 pounds since September 2009, although the last 4 kilos were between December and today. lost a couple inches in waist and thights. still have more to go.

thank you

lg

Replies

• onelegpat
    onelegpat Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hey I started CrossFit about 4 weeks ago, wow what a work out!! It was so hard at first, I couldn't do any other exercises for the rest of the week for 2 weeks, but on the 3rd week I just busted through the pain and now I'm doing CF 2 times a week, rowing twice a week, and swimming twice a week. Still hurts like crazy and I'm sore all the time but I know I'm getting stronger.

I mark it down as "cross training" and I just use the calories it shows, seems pretty close for me so I go with that. Are you doing Paleo diet as well? I've been on it for a week and half, so far so good, I'm giving it 30 days to see how much I lose and to see how it works with my exercise.
  • 53peterson
    53peterson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I also would like to figure out how to log crossfit as an exercise to keep a log of calories burnt? The main reason is that I enjoy keeping track and filling out all of the "myfitnesspal" information. I do not however agree that it is all about calories or that tracking exercise really matters as long as I/we are routinely doing functional movement, lifting heavy things, etc.. I have had GREAT success doing CF and have seen a gym full of people who do Paleo / Primal and CF experience amazingly good results. I believe that weight loss is 80% diet and food journaling is essential for getting on track and keeping aware of what I eat. (FYI: I have slipped from Primal / CF over the past 6 months and am using this tool to help me get back on track).

For those of you interested in CF and Paleo / Primal eating check out the following links:

marksdailyapple.com
    crossfit.com
    crossfitasheville.com (my gym which has great info and is a good example of a well run CF gym)
    robwolf.com

The bottom line is that there is not one solution but this basic stuff works for overall fitness and obtaining and maintaining a lean strong body.

Finally check out these resources, get your lipids tested, check into insulin resistance, pay attention to your body and decide for you self if the amount of carbs recommended in "myfitnesspal" or by traditional nutritionalists is really helping you obtain your goals fitness and weight loss goals. It does not work for me and leaves me hungry, tired at 3pm and with less energy than when I eat healthy raised protein and fat from good sources. (Pasture raised bacon is my friend!)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-context-of-calories/

Thanks!
  • rogervnewman
    Options
    You can just ask your trainer... I go to Cross Fit 3 times a week and John ( our trainer ) gives me an approximation of total calories burned. It's not perfect, but it works.

That being said, if anyone runs across some sort of 'calorie calculator' or something that can add up high intensity calisthenics and calories burned, please share.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    It depends on the workout - some are more cardio-based, some are more weights-based, some are longer, some are shorter. I usually track it as circuit training and the warmups as calesthenics, that should give a good enough baseline. You continue burning long after the intense workouts, so make sure to have a nice protein/carbs snack after the workout to refuel and keep the muscle building!