Women: that time of the month weight gain?

Options
Ok Ladies i need help. I'm i the only one out there who gains 3-4lb when its that time of the month? i went from my all time low of 167 to weighing 171. Sometimes i lose it once I start, sometimes i only lose a little bit. Its very frustrating and I want to know if i am the only one who has this issue or if you all have tips. Thanks.

Replies

• ManEnMotion
    ManEnMotion Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Yep. My wife's weight changes by 5-6 pounds.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    very unusual

very strange

has this ever happened before?

no sisters or mother or friends that have ever mentioned this?
  • kaceelawlor
    kaceelawlor Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I gain anywhere from 3-5 pounds...it usually only lasts the first few days or so and then I am back to where I was. I've heard (and believe) it's mostly water weight aka bloating. I've actually tried drinking MORE water to try to flush it all out, not sure if it works but it makes me feel good! lol

Do you tend to splurge during that time? If you don't, then I don't believe there is any possible way to PHYSICALLY gain weight since calories in < or = calories out. I'm guessing you're holding onto mostly water weight and I'd try drinking more water and cutting down on sodium during that time.

This is what has seemed to work for me, good luck!
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    It makes no difference to me.

My tip - don't weigh when it's your TOM if you know that you're going to have a gain totally unrelated to weight loss.
  • Hippie_Soul
    Hippie_Soul Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Yes, it happens to me...I don't even get NEAR a scale for the week before or week of...it's just so discouraging.
  • annams76
    annams76 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I normally gain between 3 - 5 lbs during my cycle and it typically takes around 2 -3 days after for the weight to come off. I believe it is from all the water we tend to retain during our cycles. I try to stay away from the scale but I faithfully weigh in every Monday once I wake up and I just discount about 3lbs of my weight when I have my period. Don't let that discourage you.
  • jonesie84
    jonesie84 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks Ladies. i drink a ton of water as it is (64-80oz a day.) I just wanted to see if this was similar in other people. The only reason Im weighing myself is because I need to lose about 5 more pounds in 2 weeks as i'm in a challenge lol. so now that i am at 171 i need to lose 9lb.....

22233788.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • RobKarmic
    RobKarmic Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Ok Ladies i need help. I'm i the only one out there who gains 3-4lb when its that time of the month? i went from my all time low of 167 to weighing 171. Sometimes i lose it once I start, sometimes i only lose a little bit. Its very frustrating and I want to know if i am the only one who has this issue or if you all have tips. Thanks.

Weigh yourself in the morning before you drink or eat anything and you should always get an accurate number if it still says you weigh more than you expected then you actually did gain the weight which I'm no doctor but I'd assume it's your body trying to retain resources... Keep in mind I'm a man
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Must be something wrong with me, I drop weight :bigsmile:
  • jonesie84
    Options

Weigh yourself in the morning before you drink or eat anything and you should always get an accurate number if it still says you weigh more than you expected then you actually did gain the weight which I'm no doctor but I'd assume it's your body trying to retain resources... Keep in mind I'm a man

LOL Rob, yes you are a man. I always weigh myself in the morning before i workout.
  • runforyourlyfe
    runforyourlyfe Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Happens to the best of us, luckily for me my TOM is very random and I always know when it's coming because I have a great day of eating healthy and the next day gain 3lbs. Mine is usually gone after a few days :) I stay away from the scale until it's over.
  • IronDame
    IronDame Posts: 275
    Options
    Yes. This is very normal. Just back away from the scale when that SOB shows up. Weigh a day or two after.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Why do people only notice this when they're dieting? It's probably happened every month since you were 13 and you just figured this out now? Quit obsessing about weighing!
  • firefoxxie
    firefoxxie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Nope, you are definitely not the only female this happens to. I gain up to 5lbs in water weight! I try to make sure to stay away from my scale lol
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Over the last couple of months I've noticed a nice drop on the scales in the week before TOM, then an increase of 2-3 lbs in the week after. It's frustrating but it is what it is. I still weigh religiously once a week, though I'd love to train myself to only check-in once a month as I think that would be a more accurate gauge of my progress.
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Yup, anywhere between 5 and 7lbs. I only notice because my jeans get a little snug. Taking a scale sabbatical for the forseeable future, blasted things are the devils invention :explode:
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Happens every time. I drink a lot of tea and that seems to help. I prefer green tea (I just like it) and cocoa tea (helps with the chocolate cravings). The heat also helps with cramps. Allow yourself a little bit of whatever you're craving so you don't want to kill everyone around you and get extra fluids. Oddly enough extra water (or tea/coffee/whatever) helps get rid of water weight. Also keep up with your exercise. If you stay reasonable then a few days afterwards you get to enjoy watching the scale drop a pound or more every day and you'll end up lower than where you started. And that's kind of nice.
  • kccloud
    kccloud Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes; I gain about 5 pounds that TOM as well.
  • robynrae_1
    robynrae_1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    yup those damn hormones>>>:devil:
  • jonesie84
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

22233788.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools