Gym goers: please help?

Options
I don’t have access to a gym, so I want to buy my own equipment for at home.

What would you guys recommend for at home cardio, a treadmill or an elliptical?

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I run outside, so they would be a waste of money.
  • rzaloudek67
    Options
    I think it depends upon what you enjoy the most. I really enjoy the elliptical. LOVE it. We even have one at the house. My suggestion would be to go to an LA FItness or other 'large' workout facility and do a 1 week trial. When doing that, you can try out the different pieces of equipment...and decide which you would use the most.

Otherwise it's just a crap shoot. My husband likes the treadmill, and I have an old Nordic Trak ski machine that I still like using. The best thing you can do is figure out what YOU would be most likely to use.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    stair master. you'll burn a ton of calories
  • RobKarmic
    RobKarmic Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Indoor kickboxing exercises dumbbells I'd suggest getting a treadmill if you feel like splurging for it but elliptical are also good
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    Why not run outside? If it's due to cold, you can get cold weather gear that's awesome. I run outside as well but I also have a gym membership for my resistance training.

Treadmill or elliptical-it depends on what you want to get out of it. Do you want to run/walk or do you want to do something else? If something else, get the elliptical. In my eyes, you get more out of a treadmill since you can walk, you can run, you can change the incline. Granted you can change the incline on an ellitpical too but I didn't notice it as much. If you have knee issues I'd say an elliptical cause it's not as bad on your joints.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    If you have hip, back or knee problems an elliptical usually works best. If you're a runner or like to use dumbbells while walking, a treadmill works great. I have an elliptical and it's very convenient. But I do miss the treadmill I used to have because I could run when the weather was bad or cold. If I had plenty of $$$, and space, I'd have BOTH!!! If I were forced to pick one, it would be a treadmill.
  • willwillywilson
    Options
    If you can't or don't want to run for some reason the elliptical is the way to go in my opinion. I've used it through my entire weight loss and it's worked well for building up my heart and lungs. It's been a good gateway to running which was initially too hard on my legs when I was much heavier.
  • AleshiaBunting
    AleshiaBunting Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    You can always walk/run outside. If you are going to splurge I would say an elliptical.
  • IronDame
    IronDame Posts: 275
    Options
    &pump up your rump!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    neither

too expensive for one that will last or be enjoyable to use

too large to move around and too difficult to hide

not as effective

get a decent stationary bike if you think you need a cardio machine
  • Dymatized
    Options

I concur. It burns more calories than a treadmill or eliptical.
  • Denise1224
    Denise1224 Posts: 150 Member
    Options

I concur. It burns more calories than a treadmill or eliptical.

Agree! I have a small version of each a stair climber and eliptical ...neither are fancy gym type but they fit in the space I had cost less than $100 each and get the job done when I'm not feeling like going to the actual gym :-) I also have dumb bells and a kickboxing DVD Good luck!!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I agree with the exercise bike suggestion. Much more practical.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Did you know you can hire gym equipment?
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    elliptical , run outside .. i also use the stair master after a workout it kills!
  • Tinytaru
    Tinytaru Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I always prefer elliptical over a treadmill but thats mainly because I get knee problems when I run at my current weight
    I used to have my own elliptical which I used while watching tv, so the time was just flying by ;)
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    I always prefer elliptical over a treadmill but thats mainly because I get knee problems when I run at my current weight
    I used to have my own elliptical which I used while watching tv, so the time was just flying by ;)
    ^
    ^
    Agree with this. I can turn on a football game and start pumping my elliptical, next thing I know it's half time and I've been on there 90 MINUTES!!!
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I prefer the elliptical as it's:

1. Easier on my feet
    2. Easier on my joints
    3. Burns more calories/hour
    4. Works arms and legs
    5. More variety...the one I use at the gym has different levels so it's not just sliding my feet back and forth, but I also do higher stepping.

I didn't like the elliptical until I tried the hill interval program...it totally kicks!
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I would avoid both. I've had both and let me tell you they got so boring and demotivating that I was sick of it.

I would buy a program like P90X and a few weights. Seriously!