It's funny how depression works..

Options
I've been doing really well with my diet then Thanksgiving comes around and I feel like I completely blow all my hard work. I'm pretty sure I have a sugar addiction that I'm able to control but lately I've fallen off the band wagon and all I think about and want is sweets. Between this addiction and a friend of mine passing away right before the holiday I've been really depressed and I dont want to eat, I know I shouldn't eat but what do I do; I eat anyway. How does that make any sense? And its not like I feel any better..I just feel worse because I'm ruining all my progress. I dont know what I can or should do. I'm in a slump. Anyone have any advice that may be able to help me out?
Thank you
-Linz

Replies

• Steellotus
    Steellotus Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. Just take it one day at a time.
  • Daysednconfused
    Daysednconfused Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I have been diagnosed with moderate depression and severe anxiety (and self and family diagnosed as Bi-polar). That was a few years ago and it's only gotten worse. I do not take meds because I no longer have insurance. I went through a terrible depression about 7 months ago when I lost my job (still unemployed), my estranged husband's overdose (he survived), my former boss' and ex-husband's death - all in about 2 months. I was at my lowest and didn't think I would be able to pull myself out of it. The only thing that has helped me is deciding I had to get through it. I had no choice. I couldn't change any of it. I decided I had to focus on what I do have: ME! I've been back on MFP for a couple of months, logging everything, exercising daily (down about 15 lbs) and I feel 100% better. All you can do is pick yourself up, dust yourself off, blah, blah, blah. Depression is a funny thing though. For me, I seriously just had to decide I couldn't survive any more of it. Once I did, I got healthier, mentally and physically! Good luck to you on your journey. I hope you find what works for you. You can do this!
  • linz0saur
    Options
    Thanks ladies, its hard to get everything to click all at once...It doesn't help that my scale is wonky and keeps telling me my weight is drastically changing every time I step on it. I hate the holidays, its so hard to keep my strength up.