Help! I fear the gym!

Options
So far I have lost all my weight with at home exercise programs and running. I've done Turbo Jam, Turbo Fire and most recently Les Mills Pump. Les Mills Pump was totally out of my comfort zone due to never using a barbell and weights, but I absolutely love it. A new privately owned gym opened in my hometown and it will be open 24 hours/7 days a week. They are running a promotion for $25 membership through the end of the year. I kind of want to join, especially since they will be bringing Crossfit classes after the first of the year & that is something else I want to try; however, I have never gone to a real gym and quite honestly fear it. I do know how to use a treadmill and eliptical and I can use their indoor track to run; however, my recent focus has been strength training. So how do I confidently go to the gym and utilize the equipment to the fullest potential? Actually my fear is making me reconsider membership even for $25. I am definitely most comfortable with at home programs at this point. Any advice?!
Here are all the things the gym offers: The fitness center has an indoor track (Mondo), indoor turf, fitness studio, power room, Life Fitness pin select equipment, Hammer Strength plate loaded equipment, treadmills, spinner bikes, ellipticals, Arc Trainers, Jacob’s Ladders, Concept 2 Rowers, free weights, kettlebells, and much more.
Thanks!!

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Practise
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Do you have a friend you can go with?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Do they offer any kind of introduction or orientation to the machines/equipment?
  • tru_essence
    Options
    Been in your shoes before!!!!! Your fear is all in your head. 1 - Don’t worry about everyone else, there are allot of people who feel just like you so you are not alone. 2 - Get a personal trainer/staff member to help you "learn" the equipment. Even if you already know it, they will give you a sense of comfort....kinda like you buddy on the first day at school.

I used to be terrified of the gym....just knew everybody was looking at me. I realized that most people don't care and the ones who may be "looking " at you (especially females) are actually in some type of mental competition with you. So either compete with them or just do you! But don't let that fear stop you.....look how much you have done so far!
  • embracingmycurves
    embracingmycurves Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I say go for it! Think of all you will get for 25 dollars. I'm sure you will do awesome.