Running vs jogging for slimmer legs?

Options
2»

Replies

• tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Most "runners" i know are NOT technically runners. Running is a gate where BOTH feet are not in contact with the ground for parts of the stride. I think that Jogging just sounded un-cool, so they adopted "running" to describe their 15 minute miles. I think that its generally accepted that jogging is a slow run.

There should be moments when you're airborne while jogging. The gait is the same, it's just about speed. And no, there's no magic number where you go from jogging to running. It's relative to the individual. I was out running one day when this Kenyan looking dude turned onto the road in front of me. He looked like he was totally taking it easy, just jogging along. I figured that I would use him to pace myself and maybe even catch him, since I was pushing pretty hard. Turns out, jogging for him was somewhere under 7-minute-mile pace.

I know a lot of runners don't like to be called joggers (and that's fine by me), but when I started back 3 years ago, I called myself a jogger intentionally. My reasoning was that most runners get injured every year, so I would be a jogger instead. Being competitive in nature, though, I ended up pushing myself on almost every run. I needed to take rest days between runs and still had a few niggling injuries. I improved quickly from around 11 minute miles down to 8 minute miles, but wasn't really breaking through previous personal records from several years before. This year, I've upped my mileage considerably and slowed way down to a point that most of my runs are more like jogging. I'm trying to keep my heart rate under 70% of maximum for almost all of my runs and not going so fast that I get out of breath. The result is that I've improved more quickly with less injury. Now, my "jogging" pace is as fast as my racing pace was for longer distances.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I think we're messing with semantics here. To answer the original posters question...no.

I think what you're concerned with is almost all genetics. While you can affect how your legs look...there will still be a limit to what your legs can look like. You may lose fat on your legs, and your muscles will appear. But odds are you will not gain muscle running...any kind of running, walking, jogging, or sprinting or whatever you want to call it.
  • jellebeandesigns
    jellebeandesigns Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    No, jogging I had 19 inch thighs and 11.6 in calves. I run 20+ miles a week and I have 22 inch thighs and 14.5 inch calves now. Profile if my calf looking down at it
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Sumo squats
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I've had skinny legs all my life until I started running a couple of years ago. They are still slim...but noticeably more muscle. Evidently, I don't "gain" in my legs.

this is me too!
  • the_green_midget
    the_green_midget Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    According to my dictionary:

- Run: move at a speed faster than a walk, never having both or all the feet on the ground at the same time
    - Jog: run at a steady gentle pace, esp. on a regular basis as a form of physical exercise
    - Sprint: run at full speed over a short distance

So running is a broad category where the only requirement is that you be moving faster than when you're walking, and that you don't have a foot on the ground sometimes. Jogging is just a subcategory of running, where you're running at an easy pace, not pushing yourself as hard as you can possibly go. I think the distinction should be between sprinting and jogging, since with sprinting, you're pushing yourself to go as fast as possible for a short period of time.

As for what makes your legs skinnier versus larger, I have no idea. I've been running 5k's since June (my fastest time is 35:35) and my legs have gotten smaller, but it has more to do with eating at a deficit than anything else.
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I think what you're concerned with is almost all genetics. While you can affect how your legs look...there will still be a limit to what your legs can look like. You may lose fat on your legs, and your muscles will appear. But odds are you will not gain muscle running...any kind of running, walking, jogging, or sprinting or whatever you want to call it.

^This.

I think it's important to give up on the idea of attaining to an ideal physique that someone else has. This is something that I'm having to learn in this process. When I get to a healthy or even optimal body fat % and am capable of doing the things I want to do fitness-wise, I'm going to look me. I'm not going to look like somebody else. I may be skinnier than "ideal." Parts of my body may be bigger than others, but I'm going to look like me; the fittest me I can be.
  • mike_littlerock
    mike_littlerock Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I think we're messing with semantics here. To answer the original posters question...no.

Amen.. I have a friend that has a short/squat build. he started running because he wanted "a runners body" long lean limbs.. Err.. I am fairly sure that running will not increase the length of your limbs. I always thought it fascinating that people think of a body type with a sport and thinking the sport makes them that way, versus having a build that is more successful for a sport/activity. we can all work out butts off, but can only develop within the boundaries of our genetic makeup.

also. on the point about "sprinters build" versus "long distance build".. the sprinters and bulked up in the gym not on the track. They hit the weights to develop explosive strength and that translates to performance in sprints.