BMR ... CALORIES ... CONFUSED!!!!

Options
Ok so my BMR is 1682.64 ..

my daily need is aparently 2608 cals a day (taking into account my 6 days a week exercise) to maintain my current weight. I still have 50lbs to loose and according to MFP i should only be eating 1200 a day.

Im a little confused as this seems a little low. My scales have not budged in 2 weeks :( i do not want to eat too much or too little. Im getting really dishearted with no loss for 2 weeks and do not want to throw in the towel.

Anyone else experience this or any ideas as to what to do?

Thanks!

Replies

• Jackielyn17
    Options
    I'm on the same boat as you!! I have a bit less than 60 lbs to lose, I recently had to change my dietary lifestyle due to a medical condition, i have not gone up, nor have I gone down in weight much since the month of september. I'm at a total loss!! I've been told never to eat below the BMR and usually 10% below the TDEE (your daily need). I recently decided that I should start counting again, but i had a bad breakup and am back on track this week! (3 pounds gained from emotional eating :( so gotta get back and get my body!)

don't throw in your towel just yet!! I haven't been losing in pounds, but there has been a change in inches! :)
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    MFP only does math, it doesn't make intelligent decisions. If your BMR is 1682 you need to be eating at least that. TDEE is an iffy thing to me because it's assuming you burn a static amount doing your exercise so I like to use the sedentary number and then count exercise as a bonus. Unless you're doing professional athlete type training you don't need to eat exercise calories especially when you're in the losing phase.
  • RoxySherwood89
    RoxySherwood89 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    i always try my hardest not to eat back my exercise cals but 1200 cals a day is killing me :( not only am i getting board of eating the same things im also hungry ALL the time. I have tried upping my protein to keep me fuller but its having little effect. i think 1600 cals is a lot of calories ... would i lose on that? i dunno maybe im not losing because im not eating enough? arrrggghhhhh its sooooo frustrating!

Jackie add me if you like, as post says i know how frustrating been stuck can be! i also gained back like 10lbs after losing like 50+lbs so im still working on losing that. I work out 6 days a week (cardio and strength) and the scales are not budging!!

Thanks for taking the time to reply :)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    If TDEE is ~2600, how did you get to 1200 recommended cals?

Since you have your TDEE calculated, why not just eat below that by 15 or 20%? Sounds to me like you are over complicating things, and maybe even mixing approaches/calculators (which is why you are confused).
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    Have you checked out helloitsdan's road map post yet? If not, I strongly suggest you do http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

It'll explain a bit more about what you should and shouldn't be eating. If you're hungry you definitely need to up your calories, especially if you're not losing. I upped mine (not as much as I should be but I'll be changing that soon since I started lifting and have lost more weight since I last did my numbers) and have been losing since
  • Jackielyn17
    Options
    we have similar BMR and I can tell you that 1600 calories might seem like a lot, but protein has a high calorie intake and I don't eat many processed/refined CHO so on days that my CHO are really low, I try to have more fat. I know, feels weird to have extra fat to lose fat! I also try to workout as much as possible ;-) but I've been way off track - food wise - since the end of October!! Sometimes a broken heart needs those extra calories hahaha
  • maddieprice87
    maddieprice87 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    It can't hurt you to go up to 1500/1600. I'm on 1400/ day and vary between 1200 and 1600 (net) after exercise, and have managed to lose 4lb. 1200 seems pretty low if your total daily expenditure is 2500 odd, that's a deficit of over 1000/day! try going up to 1500 so your deficit is 1000/day, theoretically you should lose 2lb/week on that. Your body will hold onto weight if you aren't eating enough, which might be what is happening. I've known women who regularly kill 600-800 calories per session in the gym not lose ANY weight because they were eating so few calories. As soon as they upped their intake the weight started to come off. Just make sure that you add the calories with healthy fats, good carbs, and good quality protein :).

Other possible reasons are water retention or TOTM so make sure you get lots of fluids!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    i always try my hardest not to eat back my exercise cals but 1200 cals a day is killing me :( not only am i getting board of eating the same things im also hungry ALL the time. I have tried upping my protein to keep me fuller but its having little effect. i think 1600 cals is a lot of calories ... would i lose on that? i dunno maybe im not losing because im not eating enough? arrrggghhhhh its sooooo frustrating!

Gradually increase calories by 100 every week or two until you get to 1600, try that for 4-6 weeks, see if you're still losing. If not, adjust either calories or exercise. 1200 is too low for a lot of people but MFP sets it there because you chose you wanted to lose 2lbs a week. Remember weight loss isn't always linear, it can stall and then come off in chunks, much like ill-whipped mashed potatoes.

""For results: Look at your body like a science experiment. Add a stimulus. Measure response. Adjust as needed. One variable at a time." -C.Ballantyne"
  • RoxySherwood89
    Options
    i basicly googled BMR calculator after seeing a post on the forums and then used it to work mine out, i havent mixed how ive worked it out as ive only just discovered it today. i got 2608 by using the benedict equation based on my activity level .... im guessing this is correct?

Thanks for the links guys il go check them out and definately up my calories at least for the next 3 weeks and see how i get on.

Yes thats how i got 1200 a day i set my loss at 2lb a week so MFP gave me 1200.

Thanks for the advice ... thought i was going crazy lol!
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    First, let's make sure we are all talking about the same things and using the same terms...
    by joejvcca71 in this thread:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/510406-tdee-is-everything

1. BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate): This is the amount of calories you need to consume to maintain your body if you were comatose (base level).

2. NEAT (Non-Exercise Associated Thermogenesis): The calorie of daily activity that is NOT exercise (eg: washing, walking, talking, shopping, working). ie: INCIDENTAL EXERCISE! It is something that everyone has a good amount of control over & it is the MOST important factor in your energy expenditure. It is what helps keep 'constitutionally lean' people LEAN (they fidget)!

3. EAT (Exercise Associated Thermogenesis): The calorie requirements associated with planned exercise. Unless someone is doing a whole heap of exercise (eg: two or more hrs training a day) it usually doesn't add a stack of calories to your requirements (30 minutes of 'elliptical training isn't going to do it')

4. TEF (Thermic effect of feeding): The calorie expenditure associated with eating. REGARDLESS of what myths you have been told - this is NOT dependent on MEAL FREQUENCY. It is a % of TOTAL CALORIES CONSUMED (and 15% of 3 x 600 cal meals is the same as 15% of 6 x 300 cal meals). It varies according to MACRONUTRIENT content and FIBER content. For most mixed diets, it is something around 15%. Protein is higher (up to 25%), carbs are variable (between 5-25%), and fats are low (usually less than 5%). So -> More protein and more carbs and more fiber = HIGHER TEF. More FAT = LOWER TEF.

5. TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expedenture): Total calories burned. BMR + NEAT + EAT + TEF = TDEE

Now, a couple of ways to approach all this.

1) figure out your TDEE, set your daily calorie goal to TDEE = 15-20%. Eat that number and be happy.
    2) figure out your BMR + NEAT. Eat that PLUS your exercise calories. This is how most people use MFP, especially when they DON'T factor exercise into their activity/lifestyle setting.

Now, back to your question...
    Your BMR could very well be ~1600.

I think the issue is that MFP (or whatever calculator you use) can only do the calculations. It's not smart enough to factor in common sense. A daily deficit of 1400 cals is A LOT, so it's up to you to override MFP's suggestion with your own common sense.

• myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the links guys il go check them out and definately up my calories at least for the next 3 weeks and see how i get on.

I think that's a good idea.

Sounds like you are getting TDEE and BMR a little mixed up but in the grand scheme of things it doesn't make a huge amount of difference.

You'll eventually find a calorie "sweet spot" - high enough that you don't feel lethargic and crappy all the time but low enough that it still prompts weight loss.

I think for you that will be around 2,000 (which factors in exercise calories so do not eat them on top of this....)
  • RoxySherwood89
    Options
    First, let's make sure we are all talking about the same things and using the same terms...

1. BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate): This is the amount of calories you need to consume to maintain your body if you were comatose (base level).

2. NEAT (Non-Exercise Associated Thermogenesis): The calorie of daily activity that is NOT exercise (eg: washing, walking, talking, shopping, working). ie: INCIDENTAL EXERCISE! It is something that everyone has a good amount of control over & it is the MOST important factor in your energy expenditure. It is what helps keep 'constitutionally lean' people LEAN (they fidget)!

3. EAT (Exercise Associated Thermogenesis): The calorie requirements associated with planned exercise. Unless someone is doing a whole heap of exercise (eg: two or more hrs training a day) it usually doesn't add a stack of calories to your requirements (30 minutes of 'elliptical training isn't going to do it')

4. TEF (Thermic effect of feeding): The calorie expenditure associated with eating. REGARDLESS of what myths you have been told - this is NOT dependent on MEAL FREQUENCY. It is a % of TOTAL CALORIES CONSUMED (and 15% of 3 x 600 cal meals is the same as 15% of 6 x 300 cal meals). It varies according to MACRONUTRIENT content and FIBER content. For most mixed diets, it is something around 15%. Protein is higher (up to 25%), carbs are variable (between 5-25%), and fats are low (usually less than 5%). So -> More protein and more carbs and more fiber = HIGHER TEF. More FAT = LOWER TEF.

5. TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expedenture): Total calories burned. BMR + NEAT + EAT + TEF = TDEE

1) figure out your TDEE, set your daily calorie goal to TDEE = 15-20%. Eat that number and be happy.
    2) figure out your BMR + NEAT. Eat that PLUS your exercise calories. This is how most people use MFP, especially when they DON'T factor exercise into their activity/lifestyle setting.

I think the issue is that MFP (or whatever calculator you use) can only do the calculations. It's not smart enough to factor in common sense. A daily deficit of 1400 cals is A LOT, so it's up to you to override MFP's suggestion with your own common sense.

Wow .. thats alot of maths! (not my strong point) but im going to try and work out what is right for me when i get home.
  • jesspi68
    jesspi68 Posts: 292
    Options
    Based on your daily burn I would eat 2250 - 2350 daily (do not add in exercise calories but continue to exercise). This amount takes into account your activity level so you should lose weight eating that much daily. If you have a really hard workout day you may want to add something in after your workout if you are going to net below your BMR
  • jacksonpt
    Options

Wow .. thats alot of maths! (not my strong point) but im going to try and work out what is right for me when i get home.

The first option is really simple (2600-20%... 20% of 2600 is 520, so 2600-520 = 2080). The second needs a bit more attention on a day-to-day basis, but not hard once you get into it.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    MFP's calculations are only as good as the info you give. Sounds like you set your goal to lose 2 pounds per week and that's too high considering the amount you have to lose. Somewhere between 1 and 1.5 per week would be more reasonable.

Also, MFP is set up so that you SHOULD eat your exercise calories back. I know it sounds backwards but when you set up to lose so many pounds per week, the figure how much of a calorie deficit you need in order to do that without exercise. Then when you exercise, you create an even larger deficit which is generally too high to be healthy if you don't eat at least some of those calories back. So yes, it sounds like you're not eating nearly enough.

Either go with the MFP calculations based on 1 pound per week loss plus exercise calories or use those based on the links given above. Good luck!