eating before a workout

Options
2»

Replies

• cailinlowe
    cailinlowe Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    i dont have time to eat and then wait an hour or more before working out...
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt and a spoon of peanut butter!
  • ladance_4
    ladance_4 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I actually do not eat before my morning workout but I do drink water. You can see if that helps.
    :smile:
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    i dont have time to eat and then wait an hour or more before working out...

I could probably do it closer...but I have 3 kids and a hubby to get up and out the door. Kids get up at 6am and 610am...hubby gets up at 7am and he and I eat around 720-730...3rd kid gets up around 720 and leaves for school around 815. I head to the gym as soon as the school bus pulls away.
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    yep I have to eat before otherwise I feel faint. I haev eithe ra small banana or 1 weetbix with a small amount of milk.
  • thundercat011
    Options
    I do what jillian does - a packet of e-boost/h20, half a banana, and a spoon of almond/peanut butter an hour before hand -- sometimes I put the butter on some whole wheat slimwich toast.
  • cailinlowe
    Options
    i just had a glass of OJ and half a piece of bread with peanut butter... about to start my workout.. we'll see how it goes!
  • craigineson
    craigineson Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person here who trains fasted?

Well, that's not entirely the truth... I have 10g of BCAA before workouts (40kcal), and then I have another 10g of BCAA every 2-hours after my workout until my fast ends... So, no post-workout until about 4-hours after. Maybe I'll have a French breakfast before I train (black coffee).

Never trained with such ferocity.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I eat my fear and laziness before a workout. Then I drink a protein shake.
  • samlankford
    Options
    yeah if your passing out you need to have a little something... you could have a little glass of low sugar oj (trop50 is my favorite), some milk, a small banana or a few pb crackers..

I usually have a cup of coffee (I have a weakness for hazelnut coffee) while I feed the dogs then workout.. I can only do that on days that I have off from work though, refuse to get up at 4:30 to workout if I have to be at work a short time later!!
  • cfregon
    cfregon Posts: 147
    Options
    I have different breakfasts each morning typically.. I usually run 3-4 miles...and I start 30-45 minutes after eating. Not hard to find the time to wait- I eat essentially right out of bed, then change, check my email/MFP, etc, stretch and get going. The only time I get nauseous is when I haven't eaten a *good* breakfast (i.e. some sugary cereal) before running. On my strength days I eat a big breakfast, but it's usually a couple hours before with a small snack after. After my runs I'm typically not hungry for a couple hours, nor am I thirsty (but I make myself drink something at least)

edit: I have tried training without eating first in the morning- I get the same times on my runs, etc (a tiny slower) but noticed that the whole time I felt like I was slogging through mud/weighed more. The difficulty level is higher. On strength days this translates to not being able to go as long- I can only get about 2/3 of my workout done before I'm exhausted.
  • GetDemGainz
    Options
    I only work out in the morning on weekends. But, I do eat some fruit before. Eat a small portion of fruit. You won't feel bloated and it should give you the energy you need to get through.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I eat yogurt or something like that before.

I eat dinner after.
  • erinnstreeter
    erinnstreeter Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Depends on how I feel. I let my body lead. If I'm hungry when I wake up, I eat something small, like half a serving of cereal and almond milk, or a quarter cup of kefir. That and some water are usually just enough to make my hunger pang go away. Then I exercise, and follow that with real breakfast, which is typically some permutation of protein and veggies.

In the afternoon/evening, I eat a snack around 4, get home around 5:30 and do my second workout. Sometimes I have another snack beforehand; again, this is when I'm feeling hungry. I'm usually done between 6:30-7:00, so I eat between 7-7:30.

Depending on my schedule, my eating pattern is typically something small every 2-2.5 hours. Some days I have to eat closer to a 3 meals a day with snacks pattern. Listening to my body makes a big difference - it knows what I need, and it responds best when I supply its needs accordingly.
  • miche_smash
    miche_smash Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    If I don't eat a little something I definitely have NO energy. Usually a piece of toast or english muffin with peanut butter does the trick for me.
  • momxs2
    momxs2 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I work out at 5AM and I have a 1/2 of a banana...if I'm hungry I eat the whole thing. I don't think I could do it on an "empty stomach" completely.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I do afternoon workouts now but when I was doing morning workouts, I had to walk a very fine line between too much food and not enough. I don't know how people workout on an empty stomach - I'm definitely the type that I would pass out (and almost have). But I also have to make sure I don't eat too much because then I just feel sick.

This is what I found worked for me: 4oz orange juice + 1/2 english muffin, toasted + 1T almond butter (with a little honey). The OJ got my sugar up quickly to give me a fast burst of energy and the english muffin with almond butter kept me going. That was for a hour-long bootcamp class so I might do a little less for a shorter workout but that was perfect for my 1hr. Then I'd eat the other half of the english muffin with some more almond butter and a banana when I was done.
  • cailinlowe
    Options
    well, i survived it! i had a glass of OJ and half a piece of bread with peanut butter and that got me through :]
  • dunadan
    dunadan Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I hear you about not having time in the morning to fix anything. I get up three days a week at 5:30am, and have everything pre-packed and in my car ready to go to the gym. I will leave a banana and a Nature Valley PB/Dark Chocolate protein bar in the car, and eat those on my way to the gym...no time for even toast. After working out, I'll have some protein powder, and when I get into work, will have some tea. That's worked out pretty well for me.