Confused on weighing recipes

Options
Perhaps I'm over thinking this but how do you go about weighing recipes that you've already cooked?Like soups or items where moisture evaporates out once cooked...

Do you weigh each ingredient raw or before you add it to the recipe and then take the total of all the ingredients and divide by how many servings?

OR...

AFTER you've already cooked it do you weigh the entire batch and then divide by how many servings?

Replies

• wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Under the food tab there is a recipe tab where you can enter your recipe along with how many servings it makes and it will calculate the calories.
  • nearptr
    Options
    Weigh each ingredient as you add it, in order to incorporate the nutritional data into your recipe as you construct it.

The choice as to how many servings are in the resultant batch is completely arbitrary, but you have to determine the weight of the entire batch in its ready-to-serve state, and divide by this arbitrary number, in order to know the weight of each "serving".

When you dole out a portion, you will take the portion's weight and use it to calculate the number of (arbitrary) servings in that portion. It is this number of servings that you log...
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I weigh/measure all the individual ingredients and enter them in for the total calories/nutrients in the whole recipe. Then I use different methods to divide it into servings. Sometimes I weigh the whole thing and then call an ounce or a gram a serving.
  • 127ismygoal
    127ismygoal Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I tend to weigh out everything before cooking, work out calories for the total meal and then portion it up, dividing the amount of calories by the amount of portions.
  • BlackKat75
    BlackKat75 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I use the recipe tracker under the Food tab and weigh everything as I add it to a recipe. I then determine how many servings are in a recipe (generally between 4 and 6). I don't actually weigh the full batch of a recipe or any portion that I take from the recipe. I just figure that the calories basically all come out in the wash as I eat the servings over a couple of days. The recipe tracker is really useful, although I wish I could adjust measurements of individual ingredients after they've been added...
  • AshlynG923
    AshlynG923 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Weigh each ingredient as you add it, in order to incorporate the nutritional data into your recipe as you construct it.

The choice as to how many servings are in the resultant batch is completely arbitrary, but you have to determine the weight of the entire batch in its ready-to-serve state, and divide by this arbitrary number, in order to know the weight of each "serving".

When you dole out a portion, you will take the portion's weight and use it to calculate the number of (arbitrary) servings in that portion. It is this number of servings that you log...

Thank you.. this is what I was thinking!
  • rosieg1979
    rosieg1979 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I usually just say that the recipe is one serving, and when I eat it I guess how much I ate eg half of the one serving.
  • divacat80
    divacat80 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Yours is a good question, I never know if I should weigh chicken breast fillets before grilling them or not. I usually weigh them raw, but this can result in inaccuracy when calculating the total amount of fats, proteins and calories since raw meats weigh more than cooked meats. But, if I weigh them raw I can be sure that I won't go over my calories.

Still, I try not to be too obsessed, if my portion looks too small I just eat a tiny bit more, regardless of what the mfp app says.
  • 8R12
    8R12 Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm also confused as to if you weigh the ingredients with zero calories or not?
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I'm also confused as to if you weigh the ingredients with zero calories or not?

If you're going to be weighing the entire recipe in the end to see how many calories are per serving, then YES. Because even though they are zero CALORIE foods, they are not zero WEIGHT foods, and will contribute to that in the end product.
  • 8R12
    8R12 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you:)