Obsession

Options
Am I the only one who gets obsessed with dieting when I'm doing well?

The past week I've dropped a good few pounds and all I can think about is weight loss! Don't get me wrong - it feels GOOD! But I'm constantly working out my BMI, my waist-hip ratio etc etc and looking at old pictures of my(fatter)self and comparing them to now.

Am I being unhealthily obsessive? Or just excited and motivated? I'm not quite sure where the line is between the two!

Replies

• almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I find its natural until you hit your goal.... Maybe thats just me?

I am obsessed with ice cream... Thats a problem lol
  • rachledezjones
    rachledezjones Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Haha I had a dream last night that I ate SO much chocolate and icecream... when I woke up I felt so bad that it's put me off eating it for real! Very useful!
  • h4pp1n355
    Options
    i think its normal until you feel complete with yourself. i have the same "obsession", but it only helps you until youve reached your goal! Continue the great work! :) i see progress! :D
  • almonds1
    Options
    Haha I had a dream last night that I ate SO much chocolate and icecream... when I woke up I felt so bad that it's put me off eating it for real! Very useful!

lol... Never in a million years would I think Chocolate and icecream would be associated with a bad dream...
  • lorib75
    lorib75 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    EXCITED AND MOTIVATED!! I LOVE IT!
  • nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I am obsessed with MFP, reading labels,counting calories,thinking about each meal and how I can improve on it. Yes I am obsessed with dieting. I like it because it keeps me motivated.
  • almonds1
    Options
    OMG.... I hate Clowns!! I must leave now
  • rachledezjones
    rachledezjones Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Haha it was a good dream! but i felt so guilty when I woke up (thinking I had eaten it for real) that i've not fancied eating any today! win win!
  • maddiezoellner
    maddiezoellner Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It is such a fine line. I just posted a blog on this subject. I am totally obsessed with food no matter what. I find it's better that I get obsessed with being HEALTHY rather than what I'm going to eat next. Healthy meaning..eating balanced, clean meals, exercising regularly and also keeping up my spiritual portion of my program. I find that my own will power will fail me everytime. It's my own will power that has gotten me to this point...overweight and unhealthy. For me, I have to include God (or whatever you believe in) to make up the difference of what I can't do.

As long as you aren't falling into destructive patterns such as purging, starving yourself, using laxatives or diet pills excessively than I'd say it's a healthy obsession. There are much worse things you could be addicted too! We have to stay focused on our goals or we get lazy and fall into old patterns.

just my opinion though ;)
  • MUSTLOSENOW55
    Options
    I'm obsssessed I'm always thinking about how many calories do I have left and what do I want to eat next and is it meal time yet lol. Oh well
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I am obsessed. I say it's fine. It makes me feel good about myself, like I'm achieving something and making myself better.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options

The past week I've dropped a good few pounds and all I can think about is weight loss! Don't get me wrong - it feels GOOD! But I'm constantly working out my BMI, my waist-hip ratio etc etc and looking at old pictures of my(fatter)self and comparing them to now.

Am I being unhealthily obsessive? Or just excited and motivated? I'm not quite sure where the line is between the two!

Don't know how long you've been at it, but my obsessiveness peaked at the beginning and into the first month or two. Since then, it's become more routine - measure, log the food, workout and keep challenging myself, no thank you, I don't care for any donuts today. I feel like I'm sort of on autopilot now!
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely obsessed with recording everything I eat...perfectly. It's quite stressful when I can't find or don't know the exact food. I have a hard time ordering in a restaurant without my phone to look up the calorie counts. I forgot my phone once when going out and it was super stressful. One of my friends commented about it when I was recording what I'd eaten out with him.
  • pepsi666
    Options
    Yep, me too with the obsession. I wouldn't want it any other way now though :)
  • TKRV
    TKRV Posts: 165 Member
    Options

I'm going to say it depends. I love health and enjoying talking about it. I like to discover new things. On the other hand, there was a point in my life where I was thrilled when I lost a pound a devastated when I gained one. I started to drastically limit my food so I would have the enjoyment of watching pounds fall. If you are obsessive in that sense, then it is unhealthy.

In the end, make sure you keep your priorities straight. Your obsession should relate to healthy food, workouts, etc, not simply the number on the scale.
  • LadyRhodes01
    LadyRhodes01 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Sorry to say sweetie, the obsession doesn't change once you reach your goal. I am currently 7 lbs under my goal and the obsession is still there. I'm afraid if I let up I will gain the weight back. I'm getting it under control so I can enjoy life again. I needed balance. There are definetly far worse obsessions to have, at least this is a healthy long term goal one. But, no, you're not the only one. When I think about eating something (fast food), I look up caloric intake first. Of course, it's not worth it. So, I go for the alternative and buy ingredients and make the crap myself, then it's healthier and cheaper. You're on the right track, if you feel it's getting out of control..message your pals..or add me. You're doing great!! Keep up the good work!
  • SonicaBE
    SonicaBE Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    motivation! Dont stop now :)
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's obsessive at all! I think it is great!
  • Artemis00diana
    Options
    Im with you! I actually have been worried about the same thing - im always on this site, looking up declearations and I can eat out anywhere without having my phone so i can track my cals. Its actually a bit rude I guess.. But I have almost just started, and I think it is just a fase. Im still to lazy to weigh all my food, so I can be that addicted yet ;P
  • robinrsimmons428
    robinrsimmons428 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have been doing that a lot. Constantly figuring out my BMR and my TDEE...It all comes out the same but I keep thinking I missed something. I need to really just stop and let my body do what it is going to and then go from there.