Healthy Fish Dinner

Options
kerryf81
kerryf81 Posts: 6 Member
Hi, I am looking for a healthy fish dinner idea, i am not a big fan of fish but would like to eat it a bit more. I don't mind white fish but really don't like salmon. Any suggestions please? :smile:

Replies

• naveed1naveed
    Options
    codfish
    not very tasty
    cheaper
    always available in deep freezers :happy:
  • Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I often make this recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/broiled-parmesan-lemon-tilapia/detail.aspx

My husband and me love it and it's not too bad calorie-wise.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Fish Puttanesca

Brown several cloves of thinly sliced garlic in 2 tablespoons of olive oil and remove and put on a separate plate
    Put 15-20 cherry tomatoes or a can of chopped low-sodium tomatoes in the pan and cook for 2-4 minutes or until open if cherries. Really any tomatoes work but it looks better with cherries.
    Add oregano and basil (if you like its fine with or without), salt, pepper, kalamata olives, capers and the browned garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes. If you like anchovies then add chopped anchovies but it tastes fine without.
    Spread out the contents of the pan and place the fish fillets on top of the mix and cover
    Cook until the fish is done and remove and separate on plates. If you use a glass lid its much easier to tell when the fish is done.
    Add some lemon (and if you want spice, red pepper flakes) to the sauce, stir until thick and then top the fish with the sauce.

This works best with non-oily white fish (Tilapia or trout for example) and the fillets shouldn't be too thick. If the fish is oily or the fillets too thick the sauce will burn before the fish is done.
  • corinneselene
    corinneselene Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    First off, I second the Puttanesca.
    I love fish in parchment paper or foil, whatever you have around. The fish steams in whatever juices you have and stays super moist. Just one recipe below but you really can stick anything you want with it. I am unsure if you like sushi but I wrap marinated halibut or cod with a piece of nori and stuff it with scallions, enoki mushrooms, red bell pepper and throw it in a steamer for 10 min. Delicious!

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Fish-Fillets-in-Parchment-with-Asparagus-and-Orange-241849
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I love doing fish in a packet! Google it for tons of recipe ideas. Basically, you take parchment paper, put some veggies, some fish, and a little seasoning in there, fold it into a packet, and pop it into the oven. All the flavors meld together nicely, and the fish is moist and tender. You don't need to add oil or breading, which cuts down on calories.
  • Thokiz
    Thokiz Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I like tilapia, It's my quick lunch when I'm rushed in the morning.

I'll put one frozen fillet into a microwave baking dish, sprinkle it with lemon-pepper and dump a can of veggies on top. Stick it in the fridge when I get to work; microwave it for a couple minutes @ lunch time. It comes out moist & yummy, pretty filling and barely 200 calories.
  • BigDaddy0825
    Options
    Bump
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of having one of my favorites for dinner tonight - blackened catfish.

For milder tasting whitefish I usually season it lightly with a little onion or garlic powder, black pepper and a dried herb such as thyme, oregano or basil and either bake or quickly pan "fry" it with very little oil.

Grouper or snapper are a litt;e firmer and great for fish tacos or sandwiches.

Steak type fish such as swordfish or tuna are great encrusted with peppercorns and pan seared (don't go past med rare for tuna or it will be ruined) or on kabobs.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • mirthfuldragon
    mirthfuldragon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Fish tacos = your favorite white fish + tequila + lime juice + cumin + cilanto; marinate overnight, cook in a medium-hot non-stick pan until done, then serve with some low-cal, high fiber tortillas, and some onions and red pepper, and maybe some salsa.

Plain old steamed fish = white fish + spices you like (I prefer coriandor or rosemary, but anything works). Toss in some frozen vegetables in your steamer basket while you are at it, and you're good to go.

Fish in the broiler = fish + broiler

Fried fish is good too; dredge in flour, then egg, then in panko or cornmeal, then fry in oil. Frying adds calories, but it is so tasty.

Oven fish with Parmesan = build a layer of parmesan and panko bread crumbs (1:1 ratio) on top of the fish, then bake in the oven at 400 degrees until the parmesan just starts to brown. My wife likes this, and she hates fish.

General fish tips: don't over-cook it. Pat the fish dry on paper towels before cooking. Salt is fish's best friend; pepper helps. Fish work well with acids like lemon and lime. Balsamic works great too, but I personally can't stand vinegear. White wine and garlic are good companions.

Tilapia is a great start, but it is boring - so bring on the flavor from everything else.
  • a_better_me_for_me
    Options
    Bump. I love fish but I have been runnong out of ways to cook it. Thanks
  • gatx
    gatx Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I love fish/hate salmon as well.

My issue is I never buy it fresh... such pressure to cook it right then! Trader Joe's has great cheap frozen fish and for awesome recipes I use this site:
    http://cookitfrozen.com/recipes/cod__pollock__sole/saut__ing_pan_seared/

The other night I rinsed the frozen fish, patted it dry. Seasoned with an adobo seasoning I had (just spices/salt). Pan seared each side. Then I poured white wine into the pan, covered tightly and let it poach for a few minutes.

Had it with black beans that I cooked with onion and leftover butternut squash.

SO GOOD!!!! I love that "cook it frozen" site since I am lazy about buying fresh or remembering to defrost.
  • kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I mostly eat salmon because it's the cheapest fish where I am but you can really use any fish for this. Subbing tuna in for salmon would probably work the best.

My go to fish recipies:

Salmon BLAT: Cook 2 strips of bacon in a pan, cook salmon in rendered bacon fat. Put on whole wheat toast with a little mayo mixed with hot sauce, half an avocado, sliced tomato and some lettuce. Amazingly delicious.

Salmon broccoli pasta: Pan sear salmon in a little butter, remove salmon and cook garlic and onions until fragrant. Deglaze pan with white wine and some lemon juice and add chopped broccoli. Reduce sauce (steaming the broccoli at the same time) then add 1 Tbsp of butter. Add 1/4 cup of pasta water and dump cooked and drained pasta into the pan along with salmon (chopped up). Sautee everything together for a minute or two to combine.

Poached salmon and egg: Poach salmon and 2 eggs. Put eggs on top of the salmon, drizzle with hot sauce, then break the eggs and eat.
  • Tinalynnm
    Options
    Tilapia fillets with salsa and black olives.......delish!!!! super easy, cover fish in salsa (as spicy or as mild as you like) sprinkle with olives (sliced) and bake, so easy...enjoy!
  • midnight333
    Options
    Bump.
  • kerryf81
    kerryf81 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your suggestions :-)
  • framingthewheels
    framingthewheels Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Great recipe!